Zakk wylde neck mod and how do I do it? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-20-2004, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Zakk wylde neck mod and how do I do it?

Im wanting to strip the finish off the back of my les paul neck and ive seen some varying accounts of how to do it. If you look at pictures of the back of zakk's les pauls he has the headstock still painted, and the paint ends in a point a little under the first or second fret. I want to know if anyone has done this to their les pauls and what I can do to match it. Should I mask the section of painted neck I want to keep off and just sand it? Or will I have to score it with an exacto knife, mask it off and sand?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-20-2004, 10:46 AM
dex

You probably know that but Zakk Wilde's LPs have maple necks so if you strip your LP it won't look the same as all other Les Pauls have mahogany necks.
If you want to do it for better playability - just get some sandpaper and start sanding.

ilia
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-20-2004, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
You probably know that but Zakk Wilde's LPs have maple necks so if you strip your LP it won't look the same as all other Les Pauls have mahogany necks.
If you want to do it for better playability - just get some sandpaper and start sanding.

ilia
Yeah Im aware I had a les paul copy a few years back with a mahogany neck which i stripped the back on as well. I really dug the look and feel of this neck too, but i just sanded it leaving the headstock and neck joint with paint on them. It was UGLY AS ALL BLOODY HELL> but it played amazing and had a good feel on it. Since this is a real gibson les paul, i want it to have the cosmetic as well as functional needs I have for it.

Tags
gibson les paul , les paul , les pauls , maple neck , maple necks , neck joint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode