ZR Tremolo Setup Guide (PicStory, TONS of pics) ZRTremolo - Page 4 - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 06:03 PM

Re: ZR Tremolo Setup Guide (PicStory, TONS of pics) ZRTremolo

Fender I doubt its the tuner reading it wrong, Ive used two pretty accurate ones(software G-Tune & PitchPerfect both highly reccomended in that order btw and one that you can do by ear too, a combination is the best way to do it IMO) for tuning.

Yeah I guess I should just try and start from scratch again I suppose, but I was just wondering if when I tighten the springs the same would happen again kinda wasting lots of time.

Thanks for the replies.

Last edited by Metalartin; 02-22-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 06:05 PM

Well I don't have this bridge, but sounds like you just need to unlock your nut and tune to pitch, then adjust bridge springs to level and retune until you get it set up, then lock down your nut and use fine tuners as needed. I never expect fine tuners to be very effective for large scale adjustments.
post #48 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 11:08 PM

Ok now I think I know where Ive been confused... so you dont tune totally on the fine tuners? The guy my local shop told me not to touch the regular ones when tuning(plus in the Ibanez manual it said three loops around the post on each string which added to it)... but when you are starting again/changing strings or adjusting the spring at the back then you need to unlock the nut and use the regular tuners while your bridge is blocked and not the fine tuners?

Ive done it now, its easy that way... only thing now is I cant correct the intonation on the D string, its sharper than all the other strings for some reason even when I move the saddle all the way back. Perhaps I will leave it as it is for now and mention it if I get another professional setup done later this year.

Thanks guys.
post #49 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 11:18 PM

Yes, fine tuners should only be used for small adjustments after the nut has been locked. As for the three loops theory, that is probably a minimum to keep string slippage down. Glad you have figured out your guitar.
post #50 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
If you take out all the strings , the tremolo will fall into the cavity.
What's wrong about this...
post #51 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 09:25 AM

Nice post,thanx.
What the second switch does? Is it for acoustic mode?
post #52 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simel View Post
Nice post,thanx.
What the second switch does? Is it for acoustic mode?
If I had to guess I would say its probably a phase swith or coil tap or the Bridge EMG (looks like an 89 from the pics, so either is possible)
post #53 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 02:18 AM

I've started using my whammy bar again and my trem doesn't go back to 0 position.
It looks like it does(it's almost parallel to body), but when I'm raising pitch, all strings are going to have -15cents. When I'm lowering pitch, +15 cents (after use).
I've had this issue in every overhyped bridges like a edge pro (js1000,rg2570,rg26260) and lo pro edge(540S)...
If I touch whammy bar or make small, random moves with it (lets call it reset :P) it goes back to tune. It's not a string problem as you can see.
What's the solution?

Sorry for my English
post #54 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 03:15 PM

Question Re: ZR Tremolo Setup Guide (PicStory, TONS of pics) ZRTremolo

I wonder if you could advise me. When I use the adjuster to get my trem parallel with the body, the block underneath is nowhere near the little metal bar. It says in the manual that it should be touching, the only way mine touches is if I turn the adjustment down until the marker is nearly at the "minus" sign on the plate.

Any ideas?

Phil
post #55 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 03:35 PM
Vendor

Ibanez has finally only recently starting to rout the rear cavity to be inline with the correct trem angle. I brought this complaint up in January. And it's not always dead on, but it's a lot closer than the "not even close" it always was. This goes for the EZ rout also.

If you're using the ZPS the ZPS determines the trem angle. It's that simple.

ZPS setup is as follows. The block loaded against the ZPS so that if you do a pullup with the trem the block moves but the bar does not move at all, and when you do a dive, the very first movement of the block also moves the bar.
post #56 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 03:50 PM

ahhh I see. Mine is a 2009 model S470. If it is so important that the trem is supposed to be parallel, why isn't it with the ZPS inserted? You'd have thought that it would be set to be parallel with the ZPS in situ as this is one of the points they push about this trem.

Phil
post #57 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 03:54 PM
Vendor

The ZPS aides is true return so it's not as important with it in.
post #58 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 04:22 PM

I notice that you are a vendor. Is it possible to change the arm holder on this guitar for a push in one. If so where do I get one from?

Cheers

Phil
post #59 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 04:36 PM
Vendor

Still unclear, Can't get the ZR2 holders yet to try.
post #60 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 05:53 PM

Ok mate, can you let me know when you find out?. I don't like having to screw my whammy bar in to the trem system.

Cheers

Phil

Tags
allen wrench , eric johnson , floating tremolo , floating trems , intonation tool , locking nut , neck pup , string lock , string tree , trem block , trem claw , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode