ZR w/ D-tuner bridge? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

ZR w/ D-tuner bridge?

I was looking at the Ibanez site today and it was the first time I noticed that a d-tuner was listed with the ZR bridge but only for the S2075 model. When I looked at the pic there I saw that the fine tuner on the 6th string was different than the other 5 so I guess it just replaces and modifies that fine tuner?

Does anyone have any info on this? If it is something that can be ordered seperately and added on to a ZR I'd like to try to find one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 07:16 PM

Re: ZR w/ D-tuner bridge?

You can add it on ... if you can find the part ...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 07:25 PM
Vendor

I keep the ZR downshifters in stock.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

For anyone watching this thread with any interest, I''ve talked the wife into picking one up for me as a x-mas gift so when I get it I'll take closeup pics of the downshifter during and after installation and try to type up a short review and post it.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 03:32 PM
Vendor

I'll give you a review. Clunky, drops to D "something" and needs further fine tuning, is a major hinderance to free hand movement across the trem, otherwise, it's super easy to install and I guess has a use some people would like.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 03:02 AM

Ah, Thanks for that review Rich. I was searching for info on the ZR D Tuner.

From what I can see here it appears to be little more than an extension of the fine tuner screw, covered for aesthetic purposes by a sheath thingy, is that fairly accurate or no?
\00/

Last edited by SonataGuitarist; 03-27-2006 at 03:13 AM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 09:05 AM

I think Rich is right in that it would be more trouble than it's worth because since it's just on the fine tuner you'd still have to re-tune all the other strings if you dropped the tuning. Granted, that might be faster than unlocking the neck and going through all the motions of changing the tuning but at the same time you don't buy a guitar with a floating trem if you want to change your tunings frequently.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 10:43 AM

I think the idea is to use it with the trem set type unit that is installed stock with the bridge. I'm sure I saw somewhere that you could break a string and it wouldn't go out of tune, so I don't think just duting a string by a tone should affect your tuning unless you remove the tremset device.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 11:35 AM

Is the Peavey D-Tuna on the wolfgang any better?

Do they only work on trems that are flush to the body and don't pull up?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 02:18 PM
Vendor

The ZR has the reversed springs set to keep the bridge in place if you break a string. Personally I think it feels too stiff and like the ZR a lot better with it free floating, but that's what all of these devices do.

All it does is allows the saddle tail to raise about 1 whole step with a 90* turn. You do still have to fine tune. Reverse is the same. It's not hard, but it does stick up and can be a hinderance to free hand movement.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 03:08 PM

The EVH D-tuner has a small allen screw so you can adjust to tuning change for it, so in that respect it should be better. But as you might have guessed it can't be fitted to low profile trems due to how it is fitted to the bridge.

I think the only way you could have it on a floating Floyd is to have a OFR type bridge and then either float it above the body with the neck angled back to get the action low or to route some extra space out behind the bridge to fit the D-tuner in the cavity as it sticks out from behind the bridge saddle.
Not sure how well that would work though.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 03:44 PM

Thanks for the answer Rich, and I agree that the backstop is quite stiff. I removed mine shortly after I got the guitar, and it still has the best stability of any trem iIve ever played, even after hours of Vai / Mattias Ia Eklundh type madness, perfect pitch.

On the other hand tho, the backstop nearly hardtails the bridge and could be bery useful for someone who doesnt need whammy theatrics, or who wants to change tunings alot without worrying about trem angle.

Imo A fantastic trem all in all.
\00/
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

It does sit higher than the rest of the bridge, but I haven't bumped it so it's not in the way of my playing. You also don't have a straight shot at the locking screw on the bridge but the curved end of an allen wrench does just fine.

As far as dependablitly goes I thought it was a piece of crap when I first put it on. I kept screwing up the tuning trying to get it to drop and it just seemed like a pain in the ass. I left it on a few days though to get past my first impressions and am very happy I did. The best way I found to work it is like this : push and hold the saddle down just in front of where the fine tuner normally sits. then just give the d-tuner a quarter turn and release the saddle. voila, it hits dropped d everytime for me.

Tags
allen wrench , neck angle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode