2010 Ibanez Compliments & Criticisms - Jemsite
Comments to Ibanez Here is your chance to post your comments to Ibanez. Officially this topic is NOT endorsed, approved or monitored by Ibanez/Hoshino. That said, voice your opinion anyway. Please be courteous.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

2010 Ibanez Compliments & Criticisms

Much of this post is actually a reply I sent in another forum (albeit edited to try to be more constructive). Here are my thoughts on the current status of Ibanez guitars:

As we all know, Ibanez has released a LOT of new RGs at NAMM this past winter...

Pros:
-RGs with an arch (RGA series), RGs with beveled horns (RGD series) look SICK!
-More and more of their guitars are being made with mahogany bodies, which is so great from a craftsmanship point of view
-They added trems to the RGA (archtop RGs) series and made them more like traditional RGs; which, in my opinion, makes them much more relevant in the market
-All of this shows that Ibanez is making guitars that people want and that they are forward thinking

Cons:
-they are still making the same mistakes (they NEVER totally nail it and make a guitar that is burning on ALL cylinders):
-Aside from a select handful, the Prestige series guitars all have either boring or HIDEOUS paint finishes (and I mean GROTESQUE).
-All the nice looking paint finishes are put on the bottom-of-the-line Indonesian models w/ mediocre stock pickups, basswood body, POWDER cosmo (which rubs off), and the sub-par Edge III bridge.
-The new RGA series (RGs with an archtop, ala PRS) ONLY comes with active pickups. Why? Please make a couple of models with more traditional DiMarzios
-The new RGD series (RGs with bevels along the top and horns, ala JP's EBMMs) has a long scale neck made specifically for drop tuning and has only ONE KNOB. I understand the whole point of this guitar was to make it long scale- but its the new body shape that makes this guitar shine. Please make some standard scale models with this body shape, complete with TONE KNOB.

Edge III Bridge:

I didn't want to post this at the beginning and be written off as negative, so here is my biggest criticism. This bridge has some serious shortcomings. If I was to describe the Edge III in one word, that word would be bad. It simply does not stay in tune. Since the day I bought my guitar, the trem does not stay in tune - it never returns to full neutral...it always returns sharp or flat, and even then the strings go out of tune with eachother.

I since replaced the studs and nut pads and spent $75 on a SERIOUS set up. That did help, but the tremolo still does not return to full neutral. In other words, I am always at least slightly out of tune. This is simply UNACCEPTABLE. That might be THE most important thing for a musician to do - ALWAYS be in tune. And if my sources are correct, the body routing for a guitar equipped with an Edge III is NOT capable of retrofitting an Edge Pro. So even if I wanted to make it a better guitar, I can't.

I understand that it is what it is- the lower end bridge for the cheaper Ibanez guitar, but still - Ibanez can and should do better. Playing out of tune should never be an option. Why should someone have to spend double the money simply to have the 'luxury' of playing in tune (which should be not a luxury at all)?

Anyways, to close, Ibanez is making great progress in many areas, but there is much room for improvement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 11:44 AM

Re: 2010 Ibanez Compliments & Criticisms

If I'm unhappy about anything with Ibanez, it's that a person cannot get a JCustom exported from Japan anymore (Edge Zero bridge on them notwithstanding). They're the non-signature top of the line they offer. This leave Prestige for the rest of the world and as has been discussed before, Prestige isn't Prestige anymore. Mid-level guitars are Ibanez's lowest concern these days which is sad because mid-level guitars is what Ibanez built it's reputation in the 80's-90's.

I'd like it if they had more re-issues that aren't geared towards bankrupting people. Yes, I bought a Fireman and I love it to death. Anything long time players would want they're never going to re-issue . I wouldn't want to pay 3-5 grand for a reissue Maxxas or a 540PII. I bought an original PGM100 for $1200 because I didn't want a $2000 reissue.

I can't say I like much new about Ibanez. Last new guitar I bought was the PGM401 which is great after Rich did the setup on it. There's been nothing new enticing enough in the least to me.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 11:47 AM

Very good post and I couldn't agree more. I agree especially regarding all cool paint jobs on being avavilble on the lower-end models. The same goes for traditional shark teeth inlays. And you forgot to bash Edge Zero!
post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 02:59 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Secret View Post
This leave Prestige for the rest of the world and as has been discussed before, Prestige isn't Prestige anymore. Mid-level guitars are Ibanez's lowest concern these days which is sad because mid-level guitars is what Ibanez built it's reputation in the 80's-90's.
It should be noted than when I posted the "Prestige is not Prestige" thread, it was because of the RG1550's I had just received that had zero Prestige finishing at all. No fret end, no fretboard edge, nothing, sharp frets, sharp board edge. The other part of "Prestige" is "fit" and they're doing just fine, when the neck pocket is aligned correct. Currently you have fret end and board edge finiahing, it is there, not absent. No it is not as good as the best work they did in the early to mid aughts, but it is still finished and "Prestige" quality.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 07:19 PM

Reviews: 21

Powder Cosmo has to be the biggest running joke in all manufacturing; period! I go MENTAL when I see it on an Ibanez, particularly something that's supposed to be high-end. They would better serve the customer with a black or plain-old chrome finish. Given the fact that it can rub off in the time it hangs on a hook in a guitar store makes me wonder why retailers even buy these guitars, no matter how good the actual guitar is itself. Powder Cosmo is SO BAD, Hoshino should print this post up in their plants, a la Domino's Pizza, to remind them they should never make a guitar with such a bad ingredient ever again!
How's that for a rant!
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 07:23 PM
Vendor

That's a rant I can agree with, except the same rant could be made about any finish other than Black and Chrome. Everything else is very susceptible to wear and allowing sweat to get through/under the finish. Limiting hardware finishes to black and chrome would become rather boring quick.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 05:40 AM

Reviews: 1

I read something on Jemsite once regarding gold hardware eventually tarnishing or rubbing away or something along those lines. I read that the poster painted the main parts of the bridge (ie, saddles, bridge body etc.) with a thin coat of clear nail varnish, and this avoided any corrosion or tarnishing.

Would the same work on powder cosmo hardware?
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 10:31 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJX57 View Post
Edge III Bridge:
It simply does not stay in tune. Since the day I bought my guitar, the trem does not stay in tune - it never returns to full neutral...it always returns sharp or flat, and even then the strings go out of tune with eachother.
Couldn't agree more. The edge III is a decent bridge BUT it never returns to full neutral. I've made several set ups to solve this problem, but never been succesfull. I stopped doing crazy wahmy stuff because of that, now I only use it as a tremolo bridge, like those found on strats
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 11:55 AM

i've had problems with the Edge-III on pull-ups only. divebombs won't alter the tuning. the main thing is to restore the stud grooves and clean them from wearing. the best trick is to replace them with harder ones. but the worst Edge-III problem is the arm doing play after a couple divebombs... that's frustrating.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 12:14 PM

Cons:

- Serious drop in RGT models this year. Why?

- Lack of GREEN in their color palette. Why???

- They killed the SZ a couple years ago, and replaced it with the SZR which many felt was inferior, and now that line is gone altogether.

- Most Vai & Satch limiteds coming out nowadays are $6000 guitars... WTH!?

And more of a question: Is there really such a low demand for fixed bridge guitars? I would add lack of hardtails to the cons list, but is Ibanez just responding to market demand?
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzane View Post
Is there really such a low demand for fixed bridge guitars? I would add lack of hardtails to the cons list, but is Ibanez just responding to market demand?
a big +1 to this ... GASing for a fixed bridge (specifically RGs) has made me turn my attention to other guitar brands ...
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 01:30 PM
Vendor

They gave you a Prestige RG fixed bridge, the 1451. Not 1 person has even asked about it.

So there's what reason they should make fixed bridge RG's when NOBODY is buying them?

Last edited by Rich; 05-18-2010 at 01:36 PM.
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
They gave you a Prestige RG fixed bridge, the 1451. Not 1 person has even asked about it.

So there's what reason they should make fixed bridge RG's when NOBODY is buying them?
That's why I added the "is Ibanez just responding to market demand?" to the end of my post. I guess you are basically answering that question.

I know they added the RG1451 this year. But how long has that gap existed prior? Based on your observation so far this year, I guess that is why there hasn't been a fixed RG most of the time. Is it safe to assume they are testing the waters right now?

For myself, I would love to have a Prestige RG fixed, but I had a lot of trouble with the wife and actually trying to get another guitar this year. I settled for a non-prestiege RGT42FXQM-MSB which I bought recently on clearance from a US shop. A now discontinued model (relating to my neck-thru and fixed-bridge laments earlier) which had the added bonus of being GREEN and a color/finish that was never available up here in Canada. It'll satisfy the GAS at least for now.

My question is why AREN'T more people buying fixed bridge guitars?
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzane View Post
Cons:

- Serious drop in RGT models this year. Why?
I'm actually pretty sure they got rid of them completely? And I second you're, "Why?".

I'd also like to see a Neckthrough S. But I just really like neck-throughs...
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeHappy View Post
I'm actually pretty sure they got rid of them completely?
There is still the:
RGT42DX (edge III)
the Destroyer, Xiphos, and Iceman (DTT/XPT/ICT) models

Tags
namm 2010 , rga , rgd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode