Another Ibanez endorsee jumps ship - Page 3 - Jemsite
Comments to Ibanez Here is your chance to post your comments to Ibanez. Officially this topic is NOT endorsed, approved or monitored by Ibanez/Hoshino. That said, voice your opinion anyway. Please be courteous.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 75 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 06:57 PM

Re: Another Ibanez endorsee jumps ship

The Suhr Reb Beach model is a gorgeous guitar in looks, playability and sound and if a company offered to make me a signature guitar like that i'd be there in a heartbeat!!!

That said though.....was Reb even with Ibanez any more? It's not like there's been a Reb Beach Ibanez model for many,many years.
And as good a guitarist as he is most younger players wouldn't even know who he was i don't think.

On the subject of Ibanez not making any ebony fretboard models any more..........i really don't understand why either ???
I remember reading that they said it was because they couldn't get good qaulity ebony any more but that just isn't true. Other companies (ESP and Jackson to name a few) make many guitars with stunning quality ebony boards so why don't Ibanez ?

As far as i'm concerned Ibanez just don't make any really exciting guitars any more! Even the J-Customs don't look very special any more and why on earth did they stop making drool-worthy guitars like the RG-Art type guitars?
They're all really similar to each other, just different colour flame maple tops with either a rosewood/vine or a rosewood/dot fretboard. Meh....

And when the majority of your endorsees don't want to use the trems your producing then surely that should tell you something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 75 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 08:16 PM
Vendor

Guitars with ebony boards that evidently don't exist.

JSM100
PM100
PM120
GB10
GB100
GB200
Every store special J Custom ordered with ebony.

J Customs have evolved into the basic guitars offered, and custom runs built to spec. If anybody finds that boring that's just fine to think that, yet I don't see Suhr or any other highly acclaimed builder doing guitars with bathing suit designs on them either. Maybe that time has just passed, yet some are trying to hold onto it......

Seems to me like every single endorser is using an Ibanez trem. But I guess some can read their minds and know they don't actually want to be using an Ibanez trem. Hmmmmm.
post #33 of 75 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 03:38 PM

I may not agree with you guys. But Chris Broderick has me drooling everytime I see his Ibanez custom 7 strings and had me looking all over the internet for something like those to get one.

I love his playing. I was following him long before Megadeth when he played for Jag Panzer and Nevermore. But if he played a guitar I do not like I will not buy it just because he plays it.

It is a combination of things that influence that kind decision. If you like a guitar and on top of that see someone you admire playing it; you will be more inclined to try it out. Even thou must of us know that their versions are custom and pimped to the teeth we fall on the endorsement trick.

Up to date I do not know any Jem owner who is not a fan of Steve Vai, or a PGM owner who is not a fan of Gilbert and so on.
post #34 of 75 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTM45 View Post
The Suhr Reb Beach model is a gorgeous guitar in looks, playability and sound and if a company offered to make me a signature guitar like that i'd be there in a heartbeat!!!

That said though.....was Reb even with Ibanez any more? It's not like there's been a Reb Beach Ibanez model for many,many years.
And as good a guitarist as he is most younger players wouldn't even know who he was i don't think.

On the subject of Ibanez not making any ebony fretboard models any more..........i really don't understand why either ???
I remember reading that they said it was because they couldn't get good qaulity ebony any more but that just isn't true. Other companies (ESP and Jackson to name a few) make many guitars with stunning quality ebony boards so why don't Ibanez ?

As far as i'm concerned Ibanez just don't make any really exciting guitars any more! Even the J-Customs don't look very special any more and why on earth did they stop making drool-worthy guitars like the RG-Art type guitars?
They're all really similar to each other, just different colour flame maple tops with either a rosewood/vine or a rosewood/dot fretboard. Meh....

And when the majority of your endorsees don't want to use the trems your producing then surely that should tell you something.
I may partially agree with you.

Reb beach is a great player but 95% of the people who were not watching Mtv back in 1988 do not know who is he even thou he played with Dokken and Whitesnake too. But those are considered oldies by kids today.

Those decisions on behalf of the players are business decisions and the fans must not take if personal.

If I had a contract with a company that makes me a limited number of guitars a year and someone else approaches me and offer me to build a custom model with my name on it, that is a no brainer; I would jump ship too. Besides the ego lifting experience of having a guitar with your name on it, obviously the endorsees with a signature model may receive a type of royalty payment or something like that.

In every kind of business you want to be better, improve your status and position, get better paid. Musicians are basicly self employed, so this type of deals and endorsements is the equivalent to getting a promotion on your job.

But going back to Broderick, for what I had seen so far he will do the same as Rusty Coley their signature models are almost replicas of what they had in Ibanez.
post #35 of 75 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 07:33 PM

For what its worth,Reb still uses his LACS Koa Ibanez on stage side by side with his Suhr's. A great guitar is a great guitar,he clearly still loves it and boy has it seen some amazing stuff over the years.
post #36 of 75 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Seems to me like every single endorser is using an Ibanez trem. But I guess some can read their minds and know they don't actually want to be using an Ibanez trem. Hmmmmm.
I thought you knew about the Jemsite Telepath Corps? I guess you weren't included in that psychic broadcast
post #37 of 75 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Seems to me like every single endorser is using an Ibanez trem...
even non-Ibanez endorsers Tom Morello and Matt Bellamy use Ibanez trems...
post #38 of 75 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 10:31 AM

I agree with those who play Ibanez for the guitars, not the endorser line up. I noticed Matt Bachand wasn't on the 2011 roster, but then again couldn't figure out why he was there to begin with. Not taking anything away from him, but there are a few players on the roster that I feel haven't brought much to the table style wise. It's a matter of how big the band is. Mick Thompson? The dudes from Dragonforce?

I'm not trying to offend anyone. I think Dino should have his own even though FF has waned in popularity. Some guys are instrumental (no pun intended) in bringing a manufacturers name to the forefront. Vai, Satch, Gilbert etc. I'd say it's irrelevant who comes and goes as long as the plank owners are still there.

Cheers to Ibanez on the Premium line. Been waiting a long time for something like that.
post #39 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 05:35 PM

Reviews: 3

people is paying BIG money for JP´s and Voyagers nowadays although its endorsers left the brand some time ago, which means GREAT GUITARS are GREAT GUITARS ALWAYS, no matter who endorses it.

but for sure there are A, B and C endorsees and it´s not the same which one is leaving to sign in another company. if vai, satch or gilberto left ibanez it would be a great shock for them. they are the gate to the brand for thousands of guitar players (as they were for me years ago) and loosing them means losing money. although their respective sig model would always be a great guitar and the second hand prices maintains or instead raises, this money is not going to arrive to ibanez. so, although some endorsees go and other came, it is not the same if the one who goes is a big one, just because it would be very difficult find a big one to came.
post #40 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 04:49 AM

Reviews: 22

Quote:
Guitars with ebony boards that evidently don't exist.

JSM100
PM100
PM120
GB10
GB100
GB200
Every store special J Custom ordered with ebony.

J Customs have evolved into the basic guitars offered, and custom runs built to spec. If anybody finds that boring that's just fine to think that, yet I don't see Suhr or any other highly acclaimed builder doing guitars with bathing suit designs on them either. Maybe that time has just passed, yet some are trying to hold onto it......

I know I am way late to this but perhaps he meant (as I have thought before), that the Endorsers prefer the original edge trem to the newfangled Ezr and the like?
post #41 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 05:07 AM
Vendor

I know for a fact some of them do [Lo Pro and Edge actually], but they're not class A stars so they don't get the option. They're there to promote what is currently available. If they ever get to flagship status then they can order guitars however they want, until then they're not entirely in the drivers seat.
post #42 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 09:09 PM

Reviews: 2

Here's an interesting question:

Can a B or C list endorsee upgrade his personal sig guitar AFTER it's delivered to him? i.e........ Can Lee or Totman upgrade the trems to LP/OE after recieving their guitars from the LACS, or are they contracted to keep them as/is???
post #43 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 11:00 PM
Vendor

There's a question for Tak.
post #44 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 11:53 PM

You also have to remember, sometimes people have a lot bigger following in one area vs. another. And again if you don't listen to one type of music very much you might not know who some people are. I didn't know of Dream theater or DragonForce until a few years ago, and I didn't know who Paul Gilbert was until I joined this site and looked him up and now he's one my favorite guitarist. But that's not the music I usually listen to, I'm like a lot of classic rock from the late 60's early 70's.

If Ibanez think they deserve a line I'm sure they have a reason for it. I think Li and Totman having their own line is great, now we have a "S" and a Iceman for signature models, instead of RG's. (yes, I know that Noodles, Oscar and Joe don't use RG's) It showcases more variety in the lineup, which is never a bad thing. I did buy an RG. That seems to be Ibanez's bread and butter but they do have other fantastic guitars that need to be made known to people out side of the Ibanez universe. Before I joined this site I could tell you it was an RG by looking at it but I didn't even know about the "X" series. I'm sure Ibanez has their reasons for who they give signatures to.
post #45 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 01:18 PM

Ι dont really care about who's playin' with what,really mean it,after all its all for the money right now,you might see Satch playin'on stage with a kitty squire that doesnt mean i'll buy one,i speak for myself though..

Tags
jumping ship from ibanez

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode