Another Ibanez endorsee jumps ship - Page 4 - Jemsite
Comments to Ibanez Here is your chance to post your comments to Ibanez. Officially this topic is NOT endorsed, approved or monitored by Ibanez/Hoshino. That said, voice your opinion anyway. Please be courteous.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 09:05 AM

Re: Another Ibanez endorsee jumps ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Secret View Post
We had Weiner then Broderick and now Buz McGrath of Unearthed has jumped to ESP.

Ibanez, do you just not care anymore all these guys are leaving or as long as it's not one of the top guns (You know heads would roll if they ever lost George Benson) you'll just go along the same route you have been?

I wouldnt pick my guitar because of who else uses them. Besides its Unearth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 04:40 PM

Reviews: 8

Heck, if I picked my guitars because some of my biggest influences owned them I'd be a million dollars in the hole right now.

These guys are probably mad because Ibanez didn't make them a signature guitar, or maybe they didn't get offered enough money to allow Ibanez to do it....

JK. Really, does it matter who endorses a brand or is it really all about the quality and sound?

Think about it this way, Paul McCartney played a Hofner bass most of his Beatles career. Why? Because he could buy it cheap. Now, everyone associates that bass with him and they have become very expensive. Unfortunately, they're not very well made and have problems with the neck separating from the body, and they're not really that versatile. But, just because of that association, Hofner can charge an arm and a leg for a mediocre bass.

I'd rather choose my guitar based on the feel and sound rather than who plays it. True, I got a JEM and wanted one since I saw Vai playing one, but it wasn't because Vai was playing it that I wanted one. It was because when I played it I loved the feel and the tones, plus the looks were stunning also.
post #48 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by navybass View Post
I'd rather choose my guitar based on the feel and sound rather than who plays it. True, I got a JEM and wanted one since I saw Vai playing one, but it wasn't because Vai was playing it that I wanted one. It was because when I played it I loved the feel and the tones, plus the looks were stunning also.
I got my first JEM because it's a Steve Vai guitar. I keep playing JEMs as they're overall fantastic guitars.
post #49 of 75 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 05:21 PM

Reviews: 15

make some neckthru guitars. better pots(dimarzio), heavier floyds like 80s. come with some midi ghost ready stuff with piezo.
post #50 of 75 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 01:37 PM

Reviews: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak Hosono View Post
If all these Artists left Ibanez because of something we (LACS) did or didn't do, you will NOT see me in LA office anymore. I'm running the Ibanez Custom Shop, that means there are some limitations (No custom headstock, body shape, etc...you know what I mean) LACS guitars must resemble our production guitars.
it's GREAT to see you posting here Tak! very, very good.

And what Tak says is true, from my experience. When I had my Fernandes endorsement in the 90s, I had them make me a couple of LE-2 strat style guitars, that looked exactly like the ones available in stores.

However - mine were made in LA by a custom builder named Scott Uchida, and they were easily as good quality as a USA Charvel or Fender Custom shop guitar - I had big frets, a custom fingerboard radius,oil finished back of neck, and most of the specs I wanted.

But VISUALLY the guitar had to look just like what was available at the music stores.

And when I had the opportunity to shoot an MTV video for my album, Fernandes requested that I not play my custom LE-2 guitars -- they shipped a Ravelle Custom guitar, one of their own designs with a very unique look and body shape. It was a pretty cool guitar, but not one that I would play at gigs or record with. But I was happy to use it for the video, because I know that they wanted to promote that model, and that's what endorsements are about -- helping that company market their guitars, and being a "team player"

Ibanez made my buddy Ralph Santolla some REALLY nice custom guitars when he was endorsed with them in the 90s. Most were RG style guitars, like the USA Custom series, with his name on the headstock, very cool.

I tried to get hooked up with Ibanez back in my JEM days when I was playing them all the time in the early 90s, but I wasn't signed back then, and never got a response. It's VERY tough to get an endorsement with most any company, and they usually prefer if your tech or your management approaches them. So, I still love Ibanez.....but the only guitars I have seen and played in the last few years that I have felt passionate about are the J-Custom guitars. But those are priced as high as many USA built custom instruments like Tyler, Suhr, Anderson, etc...so they are in a VERY competitive price point at $4000 list, and since so many players seem to worship at the altar of "USA built" instruments, most won't spend $4k on a made in Japan guitar.

Roger Sadowsky set me straight about made in Japan instruments in the late 90s - he was considering doing a more affordable line of his basses and his guitars, built in Japan, with a price point about half of what his NYC custom series cost. I was surprised, and chided him for considering it, saying that he was going to "dilute his brand name and sully his reputation by putting out guitars made in Japan with the Sadowsky name on them"

He set me straight by telling me HOW GOOD the builders in Japan are now, and that many times the quality and playability of a GREAT Japanese made guitar would be equal to or better than some USA instruments.

And these days, with brands like Ibanez, Caparison, Charvel Japan, and many other top of the line MIJ guitars, I would not hesitate to buy one.

Plus -- being a Charvel fan from way back in 1982, I was very excited about the new USA Pro Mods and So Cals -- then FMIC decided to start making in Japan, and everybody was saying "they won't be as good as the USA ones)

Truth is - the USA guitars do not have the same level of fine finish and polish that the Japan models do. The USA guitars are quite variable - some are good, some are average.

But nearly every one of the MIJ Charvels have GREAT finishing, frets polished like glass, and a very consistent feeling neck with a better finish and playability than the USA models.

Japan has come a long way since the 70s and 80s. It's too bad that the yen/dollar exchange rate is so bad these days -- because if that ratio was better, the Japan made guitars would outsell the USA models probably two to one!

Arigato Tak-san for stopping by and posting, it's very good that Ibanez USA manager is reading and paying attention to this forum
post #51 of 75 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddnotez View Post
I wouldnt pick my guitar because of who else uses them. Besides its Unearth.
I would have to google them to even know who those people are....therin lies the problem. I know who Steve Vai and paul gilbert are I don't have to google them.

You guys wouldn't buy my signature guitar
post #52 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 09:24 PM

When I was a young player endorsements affected which guitars I gravitated towards. Now 30 years later I go by what works for me. However, I still look at what my favorite players use gear wise and at times I might be inclined to try those instruments.

I don't understand how Ibanez lets Chris Broderick get away he is an amazing player and from a marketing standpoint it is a big loss for them. Some of the newer endorsee's that Ibanez currently have are total strangers, at least for me.

When I think Ibanez, I always think highly skilled technical wizards playing not some kids with eyeliner.
post #53 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
When I was a young player endorsements affected which guitars I gravitated towards. Now 30 years later I go by what works for me. However, I still look at what my favorite players use gear wise and at times I might be inclined to try those instruments.

I don't understand how Ibanez lets Chris Broderick get away he is an amazing player and from a marketing standpoint it is a big loss for them. Some of the newer endorsee's that Ibanez currently have are total strangers, at least for me.

When I think Ibanez, I always think highly skilled technical wizards playing not some kids with eyeliner.
You might be partially right. I am the same way you are right now.

On the other hand, the endorsement business is not about giving away instruments to the best players. It is about getting the faces that can get a product to sell faster or better. When you and I were younger most of the players were technical wizards. That's what was cool 30 years ago. Even the lamest band on Mtv had a kid on the guitars that could tap and shred like the best in the business. So therefore whoever you sign for endorsement was a technical marvel.

Now our reality has changed. Those type of players do not sell records anymore (if any body do still sell records that is ). The gloomy kids with dark hair and heavy make-up do. So those are the people I would like to have to be the face of my brand.

You see, you and I already went through that phase. Now we buy whatever we think is better for our playing style, the sound we are trying to achieve and our budget. Young kids are still trying to figure that out and will be easily be influenced by whatever their favorite artists tell them is good to play and own. They are influenced by their idols just as much as we were back in the day.

And by the way.... Vai, Lynch, Malmsteen, Gilbert, Satriani, Kotzen, Bratta, Howe and most of our idols wore as much eyeliner during the '80's as the players today.
post #54 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarified_pr View Post
You might be partially right. I am the same way you are right now.

On the other hand, the endorsement business is not about giving away instruments to the best players. It is about getting the faces that can get a product to sell faster or better. When you and I were younger most of the players were technical wizards. That's what was cool 30 years ago. Even the lamest band on Mtv had a kid on the guitars that could tap and shred like the best in the business. So therefore whoever you sign for endorsement was a technical marvel.

Now our reality has changed. Those type of players do not sell records anymore (if any body do still sell records that is ). The gloomy kids with dark hair and heavy make-up do. So those are the people I would like to have to be the face of my brand.

You see, you and I already went through that phase. Now we buy whatever we think is better for our playing style, the sound we are trying to achieve and our budget. Young kids are still trying to figure that out and will be easily be influenced by whatever their favorite artists tell them is good to play and own. They are influenced by their idols just as much as we were back in the day.

And by the way.... Vai, Lynch, Malmsteen, Gilbert, Satriani, Kotzen, Bratta, Howe and most of our idols wore as much eyeliner during the '80's as the players today.
Good points. For my personal taste the guys with the eyeliner these days only have the "makeup" the guys you quoted all kick ass. But I agree with you, today I buy what works for me and Im much happier player because I love the gear I play.
post #55 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 04:26 PM

I always thought it was odd that a lot of endorsers go back and fourth between ESP and Dean... With a bit of Jackson in there..l but Ibaneznalways had just a few good endorsers... Odd... I'm sure there is sound business sense behind this on Ibanez's part, but damn...
post #56 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuno View Post
not a smart behaviour. you better think with your head, not Broderick's.
I agree, but the I buys Broderick was playing looked really sweet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom24 View Post
I think his reasons were (and the key word is 'think') that he didn't want to be tied to any one manufacturer as it inhibited his creative parameters. He wanted to be able to play les pauls, teles, strats etc in the public domain. Plus, as already mentioned, his musical direction appeared to just be going that way. If I was in his shoes I would have done no different.
I agree with Dave, but I also think that companies place too strict of limitations on their endorsers...
post #57 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 08:06 PM

Can we just get more reverse headstock guitars? That's all I ask.
post #58 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 11:45 PM

Reviews: 21

It's funny. I don't know if anyone else gets the same impression but all of Broderick's press through Jackson seems like he's overly spiteful at Ibanez. It's like the guy who is talking about his new girlfriend, selling up all her good points because he knows his ex girlfriend is listening. To me it seems like he's selling up Jackson to the point that he's even trying to sell himself on them. Or maybe it's just me. I don't know.
Who gives a crap anyway. Play what you like. If I were a big rock star I'd use Ibanez's off the shelf RG's.
post #59 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 09:19 AM

As a guitar teacher I see how important some endorsers are.

Many of my students have a favorite player or two who have influenced them to take up the instrument. I had one student who played the Korn 7 string and another who had one of the avenged sevenfold sig guitars. They got those guitars because their guitar idols played them. Now maybe when they get older they will branch out and seek their own identity and sound, but for now they are heavily influenced by these endorsers.

I also work at a high school and see kids every day who wear the gear and support their influences. The guitar models for Zakk, Dime, and AX7 guys are influencing many young players to play those guitars. I never underestimate the influence of any players regardless of what I think of them. Those Dragonforce guys are still very relevant to 16 year olds.

I guess my point is that young players are HEAVILY influenced by endorsers.
post #60 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 01:18 PM

Reviews: 11

The day that Ibanez necks leave the company, I'll find something else. And I'll still be putting Lo-Pro's on those guitars too

Buz and Broderick left. Who cares? He never touched, influenced or even breathed on any of my guitars or any that I want in the future. So I sure don't!

Tags
jumping ship from ibanez

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode