Another Ibanez endorsee jumps ship - Jemsite
Comments to Ibanez Here is your chance to post your comments to Ibanez. Officially this topic is NOT endorsed, approved or monitored by Ibanez/Hoshino. That said, voice your opinion anyway. Please be courteous.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Another Ibanez endorsee jumps ship

We had Weiner then Broderick and now Buz McGrath of Unearthed has jumped to ESP.

Ibanez, do you just not care anymore all these guys are leaving or as long as it's not one of the top guns (You know heads would roll if they ever lost George Benson) you'll just go along the same route you have been?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 01:43 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: Another Ibanez endorsee jumps ship

Most of these things are just business deals. Look at Mustaine switching from ESP to Dean...
post #3 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Allegedly, it's the custom shop not doing what the players want. Mustaine is a gear whore like Sambora and Lukather.
post #4 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 02:15 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Another Ibanez endorsee jumps ship

I think it may also have to do with what Ibanez feel these guys bring to the table...Not sure how popular Weiner, Broderick or McGrath were or are. I know none of them make me want to check out the Ibanez line...I think Dave is an unreal and fantastic player, but he doesn't excite me to want to check out a signature, Chris Broderick is a very good player, but I barely listen to new Megadeth, and Buz McGrath is a good player but the bands music is just silly to me. Due to the fact I just can't get into the screaming vocal thing. (I'm just too old I guess )

So as I realize a lot of people love those guys...For me, I'm wondering what does Ibanez gain from these guys. It is after all a business...Paul Stanley went from Ibanez to BC Rich to Ibanez to Washburn to Silvertone to Washburn...Some of it is about making publicity, and some is because you want the guitar you want and who will give you the best terms. Ibanez may feel they need a bit more from their guys than say ESP (who always loves having a ton of signature series)...Washburn only has 3 electric artist sigs. So each company has their own guidelines...
post #5 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 05:01 PM

Weiner leaving Ibanez is no surprise. With the direction his music is going, PRS is really probably more suitable.

Apparently, Jackson was dying to have Broderick on board and was willing dish out anything to get him. Ibanez on the other hand didn't give him a signature model quickly enough. There are videos online of him saying how much he loves ZR trems and the care he put into designing his LACS.

I didn't expect McGrath leaving, but to think of it, there wasn't many recurring features between his LACS. This makes me believe he just enjoys good looking guitars, rather than Ibanez-specific features.
post #6 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 10:08 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Secret View Post
Allegedly, it's the custom shop not doing what the players want. Mustaine is a gear whore like Sambora and Lukather.

From what I've been able to find out Chris was mostly upset about how the RGAs stole his design concepts (despite being prototyped like 3 years before his LACS) and Ibanez not giving him a signature.

Last edited by AxeHappy; 01-25-2011 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Spelling
post #7 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 10:33 AM
Ibanez V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Secret View Post
I really don't think so though. where would you get this ?
post #8 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak Hosono View Post
I really don't think so though. where would you get this ?
I thought it was common knowledge that Mustaine, Sambora and Lukather were gear whores. :P

No, but really, and it's why I put "allegedly", someone who says they know Buz that "Buzz always did express some disappointment with LACS not doing simple things for him. Such as white guitar, black binding on body and headstock, but they wouldn't put a black binding on the neck.". Again, I say "allegedly" as I don't know Buz McGrath and this is from a post from someone on another guitar forum.
post #9 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 11:17 AM
Ibanez V.I.P.

If all these Artists left Ibanez because of something we (LACS) did or didn't do, you will NOT see me in LA office anymore. I'm running the Ibanez Custom Shop, that means there are some limitations (No custom headstock, body shape, etc...you know what I mean) LACS guitars must resemble our production guitars.
post #10 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 12:12 PM

The fact that the man who runs the LACS is replying in this thread is enough proof to me that Ibanez is listening Have any of these artists actually mentioned their motives?
post #11 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 01:15 PM

Buz was really big surprise for me that he switched to ESP. Well, it doesn't make difference to his music, or how great it is.
post #12 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Not blaming you, Hosono-san. I also understand from your side (and Ibanez's) that even endorsee guitars must resemble production guitars (well, maybe except that year 2000 guitar Paul Gilbert had made once. )

I must point out that a lot of players (I mean us regular folk, not the rock stars) are getting angry with Ibanez. Prices being raised, quality falling down... if they see endorsees leaving from underneath the Ibanez umbrella, loyal customers may start looking elsewhere as well. Main complaint being for the price, other companies have better stock pickups and better bridges. Honestly, I wouldn't hesitate to disagree. That's for regular production models and I understand you have no say for that department.

I would never question you or the LA Custom Shop, tho. I have a RS-1 Ralph Santolla model that I love to death made from the LACS. I would (as we all would) love to have it open to the public but the prices would be insane these days.

I apologize if I offended you with my post but as I stated, that was from someone who allegedly knows Buz McGrath and posted it in another guitar forum where Buz's (and to an extent Chris Broderick's) leaving Ibanez as endorsees was addressed. Obviously, I cannot vouch for his or it's validity but it was widely discussed as a possible reason.

Last edited by Jack Secret; 01-25-2011 at 01:22 PM.
post #13 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afmedic01 View Post
The fact that the man who runs the LACS is replying in this thread is enough proof to me that Ibanez is listening Have any of these artists actually mentioned their motives?
I think Dave Weiner did but I can't rightly recall what the reason was.
post #14 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 02:28 PM

I love broderick (no homo) but after the news that he switched to jackson, ibanez is just going down for me.

edit: loosing love to ibanez
post #15 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 01:59 AM

I love IBANEZ because I love IBANEZ.
Not because Steve Vai or Buz McGrath or someone else plays on them.
If IBANEZ lost some Artists, IBANEZ never going down for me. Because I love IBANEZ guitars.
One or two lost - two or three add. It's simple. Don't panic

Tags
jumping ship from ibanez

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode