ART series + Active pickups = Why?! - Jemsite
Comments to Ibanez Here is your chance to post your comments to Ibanez. Officially this topic is NOT endorsed, approved or monitored by Ibanez/Hoshino. That said, voice your opinion anyway. Please be courteous.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Unhappy ART series + Active pickups = Why?!

OK so I've been GASing for a LP-shaped guitar, so I went to see what Ibanez has to offer. I found many good-looking guitars from the ART series, but one question arised: why active pickups in almost all of them (except the very low-end models and the ART100, correct me if I'm wrong), especially the better ones?? I know a lot of people like the LP + active pickups combination, but I think Ibanez should have more ART guitars with passive electronics.

And, is it me or can the fretboard binding be barely seen?

Just wanted to see if some people think the same way.

P.D.: Why didn't you put headstock binding in the new affordable RGA7??! I mean, body binding + neck binding looks great, but why not bind all the guitar now that almost all of the guitar has binding?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 08:16 AM

Re: ART series + Active pickups = Why?!

Picked up a ART-520HS at the end of last year and i've been very impressed.

Wanted a LP copy (not keen on Epiphones build; from my albeit, limited experience) and this guitar has not disappointed given the budget etc i had.

Good stuff includes the attention to detail on the finish and the pickups which have loads of good tone for the price. The binding is very subtle on the model i went for as is alot of the other fancy stuff like on the headstock and back of the neck - but that's how i like it; you see more as you get closer. If you want more obvious in terms of binding etc you may want to look elsewhere.

I've had crap quality actives before and they can really ruin the whole experience but hat's off to Ibanez as the LZ1's are pretty good. Plenty of tone options and variety given very little guitar/amp adjustment. Like anything though, just try one first to see if it's to your taste...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

I see ... So you didn't feel any limitations when using the stock active pickups, didn't you? Like you said, I guess I'll have to try one. A few more questions: are the LZ pickups operated by a 9 volt battery (like emgs) or 2 AA batteries?? Have you tried changing them for emgs or blackouts? Do they fit in the cavity?? Can passive pickups be installed directly in it, or does it need some mods??

Looking forward to more opinions.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

More opinions??
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 08:28 AM

Was considering changing the actives when i bought it but having spent time with them i've decided to keep em' in for now. I've played nice EMGs's (but only the cheaper end ones) although not significantly better to warrant changing. Changing them is definately not a necessity unless of course you have your favorites.

The cavity looks to be a standard size and would expect little work to change them or put in passives. Not an expert on this so don't take my word for it! Consult with the experts...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 10:04 PM

Reviews: 26

I have 2 ART300s. I really like the way they are made. I don't really care so much about all the trim. I'm just happy to have a great rock and roll machine. They really excel at that with the active pickups. A little tweaking on the amp's tone controls and I can get what ever I need from the guitar. I like that they did the active pickups. Sure it's different than passive but I wanted different. So far this kind of different is definitely usable. It's quiet and responsive and ballsy. If I have any complaint it's that the guitars are slightly neck heavy, but so is an SG.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
I have 2 ART300s. I really like the way they are made. I don't really care so much about all the trim. I'm just happy to have a great rock and roll machine. They really excel at that with the active pickups. A little tweaking on the amp's tone controls and I can get what ever I need from the guitar. I like that they did the active pickups. Sure it's different than passive but I wanted different. So far this kind of different is definitely usable. It's quiet and responsive and ballsy. If I have any complaint it's that the guitars are slightly neck heavy, but so is an SG.
Know what you mean about the weight, but that's not alot different from some customs i've played and also some mainstream things such as epiphones. Credit to Gibson for keeping good tone from chambered guitars but i like the solid body ones - with a half reasonable setup, tone for ever...

Tags
active , art

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode