Bring some models back! - Jemsite
Comments to Ibanez Here is your chance to post your comments to Ibanez. Officially this topic is NOT endorsed, approved or monitored by Ibanez/Hoshino. That said, voice your opinion anyway. Please be courteous.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Bring some models back!

Ibanez should bring back the RG3120. I'd love to have one, but I can't find any for sale (saving for a Prestige RG atm), if Ibanez brought the 3120 back, I can guarantee you I would buy one in Twilight Blue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 10:19 AM

Re: Bring some models back!

Sometimes I miss my red 3120, if I was going to get a superstrat again that would be at the top of my list
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 09:28 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Sometimes I miss my red 3120, if I was going to get a superstrat again that would be at the top of my list
I have to agree- Now that the Edge and Lo-Pro are back and in the prestige lineup, there should be nothing stopping Hoshino from doing a 3120 or maybe even a 3170......

............or dare I dream about another RGT3120?
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 11:26 PM

Reviews: 2

Jpm p1 *7 string* reissue
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
I have to agree- Now that the Edge and Lo-Pro are back and in the prestige lineup, there should be nothing stopping Hoshino from doing a 3120 or maybe even a 3170......

............or dare I dream about another RGT3120?

I really wanted to like the RGT but at the time the neck didn't feel right to me. My tastes have changed considerably since they were available so I'd be willing to give them a second chance.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 01:04 PM

I'd love to see them reissue the old Roadstar II back from the early 80's. I've never had the chance to play one but there's just something about it that speaks to me. Especially the RS315; the one from '83-'84 with 1 bridge humbucker in marine sunburst.

An updated Roadstar II with dimarzio pickups and a wizard profile neck.... one can only dream.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 06:44 AM

My only concern is what Ibanez do to them when they are -re-released like that version of JEM 77BFP, cheap trem etc. not even sure the inlay is correct colour..

Dare we encourage them to reproduce these classic models knowing they will make them in places like Indonesia and not Japan?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 06:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarAkuma View Post
My only concern is what Ibanez do to them when they are -re-released like that version of JEM 77BFP, cheap trem etc. not even sure the inlay is correct colour..

Dare we encourage them to reproduce these classic models knowing they will make them in places like Indonesia and not Japan?
Indonesia line's problem is not the trem (which is a fine trem), but poor assembly and/or CNC machine maintenance/calibration.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 10:17 AM

Bring back the RGA321
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by panix View Post
Indonesia line's problem is not the trem (which is a fine trem), but poor assembly and/or CNC machine maintenance/calibration.
The trem doesn't help...

When the guitÓrs don't have the right hardware, or a progression of the right hardware, it's not a case of bringing guitÓrs back, it's introducing new models.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 02:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
The trem doesn't help...

When the guitÓrs don't have the right hardware, or a progression of the right hardware, it's not a case of bringing guitÓrs back, it's introducing new models.
The Indo hardware (well Chinese hardware used in the indo plant) has no design flaws. (Edge Zero II is a good trem by any standards). The problems arise from the implementation (bad batches, random metallurgy, etc), and from mainly bad assembly and inadequate quality control in Indo.
What I mean, is that even if those guitars had identical hardware as the originals, still the issues would persist.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 06:18 AM

Isn't that a problem with Ibanez and not the Indo plant? If Ibanez can't solve these issues then something is seriously wrong with the company at the top. Fender does a great job with consistency of their models through different plants at all price points.

But another issue is that a Fender that plays just OK is enough to please most players who pick up a strat or tele, but on certain Ibanez guitars like the RG, people expect more expensive ones to have the lowest action imaginable on any electric guitar ever made, more finish options, and a locking trem far beyond the Floyd. There's physically no way you can make a 60's reissue strat with a 7.25" inch radius and tiny reissue era frets play as seamlessly and as low as any RG with bigger frets and a much flatter radius.

I think with Edge and Wizard, and DiMarzio, we have come to expect too much from Ibanez and many a great model comes and goes and we don't notice it. Anything that plays that effortlessly in the world of Fender would take the best luthier at Fender's Custom Shop.

And those simple Roadstar IIs were great. They completely slayed the similarly outfitted Fenders of the time. Blazer was also so much better than early 80s strats.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 07:15 AM
Banned

Good points Blazer. RG players are like race drivers, where Tele/Strat players are like country truck drivers. In addition, the RG (and its various descendants UV/Jems) are a much more complicated design than the simplistic strat design. Maybe fender can keep quality up, cause they can't go wrong with such a simple design, and this was the main motive behind the very design of the strat : being mass production friendly.
OTOH, you are right about Ibanez's problem with QC.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 11:24 PM

I'm gonna chime in here, because I think I have something to contribute.

I've picked up Old roadstars before. I wasn't keen on the neck profile at the time, but after getting my roadcore (and JB200 and my recent addition of a Destroyer), I've really begun to respect and like them. They are really sweet guitars. I wouldn't want a reissue unless it was as part of the Genesis collection, and I would want them remade as original as possible, including the neck profile. Do NOT put wizard necks on these guitars; they didn't have them originally, and putting a prestige wizard neck on it would make it like a typical RG with rounder edges. That's not what these guitars ever were and shouldn't be made to be like the post-Vai RG models.

As far as bringing back older models, STOP MAKING DESTROYERS IN CHINA! Make them in Japan, heck I'd even accept Indonesia at this point. These Chinese made piles of garbage are the biggest ripoff ever. Dead frets across the fretboard for an 86,000 Yen instrument? Please, make destroyers in Japan again for the price of the AR genesis Collection guitars.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 01:05 AM
Banned

My Chinese Ibanez ARZ800 is a fantastic guitar, huge sustain, no dead spots. Anyways, making guitars is not rocket science (although I am sure that China could excel in this as well), every nation/culture can produce quality guitars, especially cultures with such a huge technical tradition like China.

I think it is time this anti-China frenzy to be dealt by the mods accordingly. I dont have any personal interests in anything chinese, it is just that the whole anti-china frenzy has taken the course of a demonization campaign and has become disgustingly racist. What's more funny is that the anti-china sentiment is usually expressed by advocates of cultures (Japanese, German, etc...) which have themselves been in the same shoes in the past (especially the Japanese).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode