Death to Cosmo Chrome - drab drab drab - Jemsite
Comments to Ibanez Here is your chance to post your comments to Ibanez. Officially this topic is NOT endorsed, approved or monitored by Ibanez/Hoshino. That said, voice your opinion anyway. Please be courteous.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2001, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5
Death to Cosmo Chrome - drab drab drab

After careful consideration, I've decided there was not a single Ibanez model released with Cosmo colored hardware that I liked. *In fact, it was a deciding factor in my decision not to buy a Prestige model that had ghosted chrome. *

So I'd like to suggest that Ibanez dump Cosmo Chrome, and the other variants they use and revert back to good old Chrome, Gold, and Black.

If Ibanez is still looking for something that sets the hardware apart, I'd request powder coated white.

The cosmo and frosted colors just look drab.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2001, 11:03 PM

Death to Cosmo Chrome

I don't mind the look of the cosmo chrome so much, but it (along with the gold) does seem to pit a lot faster. Every guitar I have with plain black and regular chrome hardware tends to weather much better.

Also, minor gripe, it's hard to find replacement parts in cosmo chrome. E.g.... not a lot of places sell black chrome knobs, and it's nearly impossible to find matching straploks.

--B
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2001, 11:07 PM
Vendor

Death to Cosmo Chrome

I would like to personally ask for the Violet Chrome to be used on a wide basis. I think this is a hardware color you could use on everything and it would look right at home. It's stunning. For those of you that haven't seen it it's a light cosmo with just a hint of violet. Doesn't look cosmo, it looks like the richest chrome you ever saw. I'm sure it would have the same wear issues as cosmo though.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2001, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Death to Cosmo Chrome

I'm afraid I'm gonna argue FOR Cosmo-Black (are we talking about the same thing? I hope so )hardware. I think it looks great. It's a little classier than flat black on guitars that are gonna cost $2000. SO I hope we see it continue
jono is online  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2001, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5
Death to Cosmo Chrome

Jono, I have no problem with the cosmo black stuff that you find on the low end guitars. *I'm talking about the flat boring color on the RG-3120, and the nappy chrome on the JS-1000 BP.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2001, 05:17 PM

Reviews: 3
Death to Cosmo Chrome

I think all of Ibanez' 'chrome' finishes are the best ones. *Violet Chrome (I'm almost positive I've seen it) is great... my only gripe is the wear factor.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2001, 07:09 PM
Vendor

Death to Cosmo Chrome

Violet Chrome has only been used on the Crystal Planets. Then again, I was told the powder coat on the DNA's was a special order just for the DNA, then it shows up on every Prestige model.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2001, 04:45 AM

Death to Cosmo Chrome

I like all the plating colors. Which looks best really depends on the finish of the guitar.

I must admit, that the poor trem plating is one of my pet peeves with Ibanez. Also, the metal they use for the trems is VERY soft. This probably exacerbates the pitting problem. This is too bad, because I think the Edge and Lo-pro edge designs are the best. However, I think the materials of some other Floyds is better.

Now that's "cheepnis"
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2001, 11:42 AM

Death to Cosmo Chrome

I think anodised blue hardware would look sweet on my 7vwh
but I dont see Ibanez making anodised lo-pro edge in the near future

Steve
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2001, 01:46 AM

Death to Cosmo Chrome

Quote:
Quote: from Devo on 10:42 am on July 18, 2001
I think anodised blue hardware would look sweet on my 7vwh
but I dont see Ibanez making anodised lo-pro edge in the near future

Steve
Unless they start making them out of aluminum you will never see anodized parts on a guitar, you can't anodize steel's, you can alodine, but you can't get much in the way of coloring with alodining. *Anodizing is an aluminum specific hardening process. *Some of the nicer colors of anodizing are simply dyes, they have no hardening capabilities, just a dye. *But again, it only works on aluminum.
Sorry to disappoint, I think blue would be kewl too, but aluminum trems would not.
Jeremy

(Edited by littlegreenman at 12:48 am on July 24, 2001)
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 08:02 PM

Death to Cosmo Chrome

Is cosmo chrome the finish on the JEM BSB hardware? cause I thought that was sweet-really suited the blue.

Guy
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 01:34 PM

Death to Cosmo Chrome

Quote:
Quote: from GuyCool on 7:02 pm on Aug. 3, 2001
Is cosmo chrome the finish on the JEM BSB hardware? cause I thought that was sweet-really suited the blue.

Guy
Nope...wasn't cosmo hardware. Chrome or the matte chrome if memory serves.

Cosmo Chrome hardware is far more elegant than the standard chrome or black. I would have loved to see a chrome/black/cosmo swirl effect on the DBK to give it that oily, dirty industrial look.

As with all guitars, how long the hardware lasts before tarnishing, rusting or pitting is in direct corilation to how often you clean them. I wipe mine down after every session and use a bit of liquid car polish as a cleaner.

Before I modified my '91 RG560, the trem looked fabulous with just 2 or 3 pits starting. That's 10 years of constant play. If trems are pitting after only a few months of use, I don't think it's the metals fault. It's only reacting to what it's being exposed to.

Regular maintenance is required for these things, something a lot of us over look.

J>
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 02:05 PM

Death to Cosmo Chrome

I like cosmo...looks classy to me. *I haven't found problems with tarnishing, perhaps because I don't have oily hands. *

I wonder if there were certain years that they had bad chrome done?...I've seen a couple guitars from the mid-90s that were almost mint except for severe wear on the bass saddles.
Greg
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 07:32 AM

Death to Cosmo Chrome

what is cosmo chrome? is that a US designation?

my 2001 catalog mentions these:

BSB: Pearl Nickel hardware
prestige: Powder Cosmo (also on RG76 K7 RG7XL, etc *DNA?)
DBK: Chrome (also on UVPBK etc.)
VWH: Gold

"Almost everything else": Cosmo Black (from my ancient DSY to a brand new S2020XAV)
or Black (cheaper models)

Ibanez used to also have a Pearl Gold, briefly available on some prestige models, current prestige lineup uses Powder Chrome.

I think they make sense;
basically they have shiny colors:
Gold,Chrome & Cosmo Black
and their matte equivalents:
Pearl Gold, Pearl Nickel (n/a), Powder Cosmo
bonus is a flat Black

I just wish they'd made the HAM with Powder Cosmo
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-09-2001, 09:26 AM

Death to Cosmo Chrome

forgot to mention that there is a fresh color carried over from the bass models:

Cosmo White

check this link...

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/japan/el_guitar/s/s2670la.html

btw Pearl Gold was also available on the Masquarade GB2k

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/japan/whats_...y2k_index.html

Tags
chrome hardware , chrome knobs , cosmo hardware , crystal planet , jem bsb , pro edge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode