Decrease neck width - Jemsite
Comments to Ibanez Here is your chance to post your comments to Ibanez. Officially this topic is NOT endorsed, approved or monitored by Ibanez/Hoshino. That said, voice your opinion anyway. Please be courteous.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Decrease neck width

I recently tried out an RG3570Z and the i did not like the neck much at all. it was very uncomfortable compared to the '87 RG550 i usually play. im looking to buy a new (or used but from the last couple of years) guitar with a neck similar or identical to my RG550 but after some research i found that its pretty much impossible, because all the recent prestige wizard necks are 58mm wide at the end of the fretboard, not 56mm. this is very disappointing and frustrating because now i have little hope of finding the guitar i want so ibanez please bring back the original wizard specs!!! 17mm thick at 1st, 19 or 20mm at 12th, 43mm wide at nut, 56mm at the end of the fretboard.

its also interesting how the '09 catalog claims the super wizard prestige neck is an exact replica of the original wizard but its not. its actually 58mm wide, not 56mm

Last edited by kfm946; 06-26-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 10:38 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: Decrease neck width

This is part of the reason I have very little to no interesting in Ibanez's current line. Which is very sad.

I'm sure to some (many) people that 2mm isn't noticeable but after playing the original wizards for a while it seems like a huge difference to me!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 02:44 AM

Seriously, you want to have LESS room on the fretboard? Get one of those daisy rock guitars. What makes Ibanez guitars great is that the E strings are not hanging off the edge of the fretboard like 99% of other guitars. I think they should be even wider. Like a 7 string neck but with only six strings!
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 02:45 AM

If you don't like the changes, buy an older model. Those who didn't like the older models might like these newer ones. I'm sure Ibanez is aware of any change they make. Since they changed the neck construction it might be practical reasons why they changed. If 2 mm resulted in a more rigid neck, the change is good. I can't for the life of me see how 2 mm is too much to get used to. But, if you don't like it, you don't like it.

Last edited by jono; 07-04-2011 at 02:02 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
You tried all of them, or judging from specs? Corksniffing much?

If you don't like the changes, buy an older model. Those who didn't like the older models might like these newer ones. I'm sure Ibanez is aware of any change they make. Since they changed the neck construction it might be practical reasons why they changed. If 2 mm resulted in a more rigid neck, the change is good. I can't for the life of me see how 2 mm is too much to get used to. But, if you don't like it, you don't like it.
but the thing is, im looking for a new guitar, not a used one, because right now my '87 rg550 is having lots of problems like fret wear and neck problems and im trying to get away from having to deal with wear. (and im not the owner, my aunt lent it to me, so i want to avoid having work done on it). i also want some of the newer features like the edge zero and ghost sharkfin inlays and all that stuff. its just frustrating that the only thing holding me back is that the neck is just too uncomfortable.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 11:45 PM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfm946 View Post
but the thing is, im looking for a new guitar, not a used one, because right now my '87 rg550 is having lots of problems like fret wear and neck problems and im trying to get away from having to deal with wear. (and im not the owner, my aunt lent it to me, so i want to avoid having work done on it). i also want some of the newer features like the edge zero and ghost sharkfin inlays and all that stuff. its just frustrating that the only thing holding me back is that the neck is just too uncomfortable.
have you tried the JEM or JS models? theres more to ibanez then those prestige rg's ya know. FWIW I agree with you.

Last edited by jono; 07-04-2011 at 02:03 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
have you tried the JEM or JS models? theres more to ibanez then those prestige rg's ya know. FWIW I agree with you.
im lookin for a thinner neck though, and unfortunatly jems and js's are wwaaayy out of my price range
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

by the way, is there any difference (as far as neck profile) between the original wizard neck and the '01 super wizard neck?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 02:08 AM
Super Moderator

Guys, In an attempt to have at least some of these comments that we post here reach the guys at Ibanez, do not head off topic in the "Comments to Ibanez" section. Keep your messages courteous, focussed and constructive so as to demonstrate that the changes you're looking for are not just your own "wish list", but serious points about Ibanez guitars.

We try to keep this subforum strictly on topic, no shooting the breeze and no discussions about sausages or geography.

Tags
neck , width

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode