Everybody RUN! *Shark(fin) attack... - get rid of the sharkf - Jemsite
Comments to Ibanez Here is your chance to post your comments to Ibanez. Officially this topic is NOT endorsed, approved or monitored by Ibanez/Hoshino. That said, voice your opinion anyway. Please be courteous.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5
Everybody RUN! *Shark(fin) attack... - get rid of the sharkf

I obviously can't speak for everyone, but I can't stand sharkfin inlays. *They look cheesy, especially the plastic Mother of Toilet Seat ones on the RG350DX. *It would be so much classier to have dots, or unmarked fretboards.

I guess the sharkfin's just look so 1982 Charvel to me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 07:50 PM

Everybody RUN! *Shark(fin) attack...

I think they look good. I think they look best on a maple fretboard w/blue shark fin inlays and binding, but then again I like most of the inlays ibanez use.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

ok, I have to agree that the inlays on maple (especially the color matched sharkfins on 770) look pretty sweet, but the ones like on the 350DX are pretty foul.
post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 07:58 PM

Reviews: 2

Unmarked fretboards are definitely the elegant lookers, but I still think sharfins have a purpose in guitars. Espacially for shredders and metal maniacs. :biggrin:
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 08:11 PM

Ugh. Sharkfins are so... 80s!

When i was a testosterone-pumped 15-year-old, i would have killed for a guitar with sharkfin inlays. Now? Not so much.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 08:24 PM

And just what is wrong with the 80's?!?!? :biggrin:
I don't mind sharkfins but I prefer pyramids.
Jeremy
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

I suppose there's nothing wrong with the 80's, for pete's sake I love the flourescent Jems, but for a mainstreem model, I think the sharkfins (especially the cheapo plastic ones) look pretty lame.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-06-2001, 02:20 AM

I love the 'Sharktooth' (Sharks don't have double fins you guys! hehe) inlays... The mother of pearl does look bad, but the silver ones on my RG750 look killer!

If they started doing them color-matched (rosewood or maple) that would rule..
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-06-2001, 12:45 PM

I love the sharktooth inlays. A shop near me has a load of old necks from 770s - yellow, orange, blue, red... *swoon*. I keep meaning to buy a few and salt them away for replacements, because the 770 neck on my RG570 (blue!) is looking decidedly "played" now. Somebody actually asked me if the wood was mahogany.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-06-2001, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

I stand by my assertion, the plain old white plastic on rosewood looks lame, but the 770s are cool as he||. *The only other sharktooth inlay that looked sweet was a Jackson USA Soloist I saw with the real MOP inlay, that was nice

mecca, how much does that shop want for the necks they have?
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-06-2001, 05:41 PM

About 70-80, I think, but I can't remember. I was last in there a few months ago. I'm sure there must be loads of them around - I seem to recall one of the big UK shops used to offer JEM necks as aftermarket replacements ("great for Strats!" ), but this shop only ever seems to have luminous RG necks. I'm certain you could find them cheaper somewhere in the States.
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-06-2001, 05:54 PM

Personally I think the sharkfins are just way too overpowering.
I do like the offset dots and would like to see Ibanez come up with a beauty like PRS's doves.

Steve
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-06-2001, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Quote: from ripl3y on 10:54 pm on Feb. 6, 2001

I do like the offset dots and would like to see Ibanez come up with a beauty like PRS's doves.
If you mean a "signature" inlay that's associated with them, I'd say that Ibanez should really use the Tree-of-Life inlay a lot more, because it's probably the most famous and attractive of their various designs in my opinion.

As long as they never use anything as ugly as the Hamer/ESP LTD "arrowhead" inlays, I'll be happy...
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-06-2001, 08:02 PM
Vendor

That's the problem, therearen't any available in the States New. When F&N was dumped as the Ibanez distributor in the UK they blew out all their spare parts cheap. So you guys have something we don't!
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-06-2001, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Rich, I believe you were referring to the 770 necks I asked about? *I really want one, but there's no way in hell I'm going to pay $400 for a neck when I can get the whole 770 for that much on ebay.

BTW- yes, Hamer Californians with the boomerang/arrowhead inlays are undoubtedly the ugliest thing going.

Tags
fret markers , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , jackson soloist , jem neck , maple fingerboard , maple fingerboards , maple fret , maple fretboard , neck inlay , rosewood fingerboard , sharkfin inlays , sharktooth inlay , sharktooth inlays

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode