fixed bridge locking nut rg - please make one - Jemsite
Comments to Ibanez Here is your chance to post your comments to Ibanez. Officially this topic is NOT endorsed, approved or monitored by Ibanez/Hoshino. That said, voice your opinion anyway. Please be courteous.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

fixed bridge locking nut rg - please make one

I mentioned this before in another thread and the idea was shot down, but I would really like to see a fixed bridge rg with a locking nut so it doesn't go out of tune. Every band I see that has a guitar player using a fixed bridge has to retune after every 2 or 3 songs. Thicker strings don't fit in a conventional nut without filing them out, and even IBANEZ' OWN LITERATURE STATES *"why do players who don't even do trem work play guitars with the EDGE trem system? " because of the stability of the locking nut. Well if ibanez has identified that a large number of guitar players don't do trem work (and face it how many do these days?) but just want a locking nut, maybe thay could build one. And please don't say it's overkill because everybody knows that currently all fixed bridge non-locking nut guitar players have to retune evry two songs or switch guitars while their roadie (if they have one) does it for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 02:24 PM

fixed bridge locking nut rg

i'd say get a set of locking tuners if your fixed bridge guitars don't stay in tune.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 02:29 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

:shoot:
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 03:17 PM

Better put some fine tuners on that fixed bridge then, cuz if your tuning does slip you'll have to unlock the nut to retune..

Locking tuners and a roller/graphite nut would work a lot better, IMO..
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

I thought I mentioned that but I guess, I didn't. Yes, It should have a more advanced bridge that allows fine tuning if necessary. It should look something like the edge, but permanantly mounted in a fixed bridge position. I said it before, but I belive Kahler had a system like this, a fine tuning bridge that looked like a trem but did not act like a trem. And yes, I have thought of just blocking the trem, but that is a pain, and if I'm not mistaken, the HUGE amount of wood carved out for the edge system adversly affects tone and sustain. This would solve that. And locking tuners don't solve the string retainer width problem in a conventional nut. Again, they have to be filed, and please don't tell me their aren't numerous players slapping 52-56 gauge E strings on their guitars and tuning down to B, A or C. *I tried that once and I cracked the nut at the low E end. *So, there may be some solutions like buying a 421 and putting a 420 neck on it, filing the nut, or blocking the trem, but I don't feel like all that modifying is necessary if it came from the factory that way.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 06:05 PM

The cost vs the market on designing a new trem and mass producing it would certainly drive up the price...

Do you have an example of a fixed trem with fine tuners thats currently available?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 08:57 AM

I don't see why your still considering the whole locking nut idea even after we suggested locking tuners and/or a high quality properly filed nut. These will certainly do the job of holding tune if not better. And are also hell of alot easier to use. I dont want to unlock my nut to retune or change tunings, and screw fine adjustment screws. hahaha

anyway I see your idea man. but IMO, its a worthless chase. Ibanez will never build it. Its just not worth it ya know??

Now lets turn this around and say IBANEZ, Please build guitars which come stock with locking tuners and graphite nuts. Thanks.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

IMO it'd be better for Ibanez to make available the little trem blocking unit that came with the JEM10, or something very similar.

This'd allow folks to block their trem really easily with factory parts (and hopefully still be warrantied).

If it was maybe sold in conjunction with a "drop D tuner" thing for the Edge or LoPro like the Peavey EVH one but that worked without routing the trem cavity, it would open up a whole new arena of tuning options for Ibanez owners.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

In case anyone cares, the fixed bridge edge like on the Dino Cazares rg7 that keeps popping up in threads and the new s series at NAMM where there are NO spring and NO chunks of wood cut out in the back is exactly what I was refering to. I hope to see more of these bridges on other guitars. Yeah!!!!!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2002, 07:32 AM

Well they've also got it on the new JS champagne gold model, so if that sells well, then maybe they'll get introduced onto other ranges as well?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2002, 07:15 PM

I'd love to see a fixed-bridge high-end RG be introduced this year or next year. Having not played the new JS, I'm not sure what the fixed edge will feel like. Personally, I'd just as soon have a fixed-bridge guitar that's strung through the body. (locking tuners and graphite/roller nut would certainly be a nice addition)

Imagine it... the RGF3120... basically a 3120 (mahogany body, maple top, some Dimarzios) with a fixed bridge and slightly thicker neck profile (maybe Ultra). I'd buy one in a heartbeat, maybe two. I've got 15 Ibanezes but I still bring my Les Paul to almost every gig, and given the choice, I'd rather have 16 Ibanezes and never have to take the LP to a gig again!! If the RGT3120 is the "Soloist killer", then the RGF3120 could be the "Les Paul killer".

--Brent

Tags
bridge position , dino cazares , edge trem , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , fixed bridge guitars , graphite nut , guitar players , les paul , locking nut , locking tuners , mahogany body , trem block

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode