Ibanez JEM Forum banner
44K views 188 replies 54 participants last post by  GuitarAkuma 
#1 · (Edited)
lefties, I'm writing in to Ibanez to request for 7 string models; who's supporting?

-- to request for 'left handed 7 string electric guitar with tremolo' models--

The best I could do is link this topic in my mail to them, to show on all the people who's supporting this; hopefully to be read and given real consideration by Ibanez themselves. Hopefully, to reissue discontinued models or produce new models.

In saying that, which discontinued models you would like to see again, or you would like a newly produced model?

If the latter, how would the guitar be like? what kind of specs you would like to see, etc etc?

Let's hope and pray real hard to Jesus.

In the meantime, post away!

#135 ·
I'm lefty and lefties are a minority anyway, so I don't mind the situation, really.

So long as Ibanez keeps making high quality models for lefties, a 'normal' guitar, six string, standard tuning, I see it as a fair deal and I'm happy.

The RG1570 line, the only global 'quality' option for lefties with the arrival of Edge Zero this year, starts to look dated.

There's no quality lefty S readily available either.

Lefties are a rare breed and opinions from each amongst those differ as well, so other lefties might surely not share this with me, but I personally believe that the new ZR is the most advanced trem Ibanez has to offer now; so so long as they keep the lefties happy and 'updated' with the new technologies, I'm happy and would stay in the Ibanez camp.

:)

#136 ·
Hi guys! I submitted a sample RGA 7 string guitar ( looked like neck-through version of RGA 321 ) in Hoshino gakki's March guitar meeting. Everyone liked the sample guitar but Hoshino gakki was not committed to run the guitar as production model yet. I'm going to Japan and Indonesia in Jun to attend another guitar meeting so may be I can find out the status by then.
Love you all. Tak Hosono

#140 ·
Man, Rich Harris and I bickered about this on my thread about both my RG's. Rich is a great guy and awesome retailer BUT I have to disagree with him when he says "There is no market". Look at this thread...10 pages! My favorite example is the RG370DXL, yes it is a sweet axe for a beginner-intermediate and is even fun for a seasoned shredder such as myself BUT the EdgeIII's reliability is questionable at best.

I'm not sure how much warranty type work Ibanez does on those trems but I would think it costs them a small fortune. I really think they need to release either a better trem for the RG370DXL and update the guitar with it OR they need to create another model in between the RG370DXL and the RG1570L. There is quite a huge gap price wise in between those guitars. They should make a mid level fixed bridge RG or make the MTM in a left handed version. Many of us (righties included) are sick of crappy trems and the needless maintenance required just play the damn guitar.

I propose for starters they make either a lefty RG321MH,RG7321, or the RGT42FXQM....or ALL three! Just look at those RG's! Simplicity! Beauty! NONE of the hardware used on ANY of those guitars is right or left hand specific....so where is the extra cost hardware wise? Ibanez already makes reversed headstock necks and thus has plenty of lefty tuners in stock. The ONLY difference in manufacturing would be building the body left handed and making a left handed AANJ heel on the MANY reversed headstock necks they already have, which they already do by the way (RG370DXL...body & neck). They have everything needed to make one of these on hand and wouldn't cost them anymore...they could DROP the RG370DXL for all I care, I'd rather play a fixed bridge RG and revel in the stability of the entire guitar not to mention the extra tone/sustain the bridge gives rather than have an RG370DXL sitting in the corner collecting dust cause the EdgeIII broke. Owning one of those trems is an embarrassment.

And like everyone else....PLEASE!!!! ANY color but black!!! That alone speak volumes about what they think of us lefties! "Hrmph, just paint the "Left Handed" guitars BLACK.....it's cheap paint and we don't want to waste too much money on millions of left handed guitarists....we have R&D money to waste on another $4000 JEM"

Come on Ibanez....rekindle the magic. I once owned a SWEET DY RG550L and if it wasn't for the neck warping beyond repair (due to the cruddy "Destroyer" case) I would have kept it. It was like a JEM only better (cause they never made a lefty JEM as good as that RG550L)....I LOVED that RG. Who's with me!??

#141 ·
It might help if you actually paid attention to the threads you post in.

10 pages. Count exactly how many lefty players, playing lefty, involved in the entire thread. You are # 13, in nearly 3 years!!

THIS THREAD is the glaring proof of why they will never cater to lefties.

#150 ·
how is this proof? did it ever cross your mind that there maybe aren't so many registered users on an Ibanez site just because Ibanez don't have so many lefties, no 7's now to be exact.
if they had more lefties to begin with, more people definitely would be interrested, but as of now, many of us have never even been given the chance to try an Ibanez guitar (I haven't)
how then are we supposed to know if we are ready to put down around 1000$ or more on a guitar we can't even try before?

I live in sweden, and live quite close to one of the biggest stores in the country, they have fender, gibson, Ibanez, schecter, dean, jackson and gretsch, some smaller brands, and some used guitars.
I think totally there are usually around 150 guitars or so. during the 7 years I've been shopping there, I've seen a total of three or four left handed guitars in that shop. one USA stratocaster, one Mexico telecaster, and one or two squires...
I've been to a couple of other smaller stores around here, NONE had any lefties AT ALL.
two years ago I went to stockholm, the capital city of sweden, and had a look around their big music stores, and after looking through three rather big stores, I found ONE gibson les paul lefty. that was all.
so, I think this is one of the reasons that not many lefties are registered here, or are interrested in ibanezes, because It's hard as **** to even get to try one.

#147 ·
This seems like a decent thread to let lefties know (if they didn't already) that Ernie Ball/MusicMan will be making the John Petrucci model available left-haned, in 6 (normal and 'Family Reserve') and 7 string form, with all the options the normal one has (piezo, matching headstock etc) from around January 2009. I know it's not an Ibanez, but it's probably going to be the best non-custom-built available to us freaks. :)

#152 ·
well, if some guitarcompanies aimed towards making at least a few high end models, and of course, it's not only the builders, also the stores would have to stock at least something more than a fender or two just for show.
most regular players can go into almost any store and try a guitar and walk out of there with it/order one after trying it, be it a gibson, fender, Ibanez or whatever, but a lefty has to order and buy first, try after, and going completely by what others say/ what they've read/heard.
this store I usually go into say that they sell maybe one lefty a year, and well, to be honest I believe it's got to do much with the fact that they don't stock any. it's always easier both to buy and sell something you can hold and try, than something you have to order and wait for for several weeks/months.

so ok, I don't think it's entirely Ibanez fault, but also dealers who don't stock lefties at all.

#157 · (Edited)
fine. I give up. I've also "met" a few lefties who play "right", and really only one player who plays lefty like me, but a bass player. (I've seen some in live bands though)
it's pretty sick how few lefty players there actually is.
I would still like to see more lefty guitars in stores. :D

sure, it's fun sometimes when someone picks up your guitar and is like "wtf, it's the wrong way!!" but it sucks to have so few choices when it comes to guitars. pretty much every guitar I've bought have been through ****, having no clue how it feels or plays...

so yea, I think it's unfair to lefties, but I get that the big companies can't make much cash on lefties, and I am greatful for the little we get. especially from Agile :)
plus, there's always Customshop hehe.

Edit: also, about lefties playing right, there might be a difference between lefty and lefty, because when I first picked up my brothers righty telecaster the "right" way, it felt hella wrong, I just couldn't do anything with it, but when I turned it upside down, it felt more like the thing for me. so I played a little like that, and then he even restrung it A' la hendrix and I could start learning. this was when I was 11 or 12. So I don't think every lefty could easily learn to play righty.

#158 ·
Please respect us Lefties!!!!!!!!

Maybe an RGA style or REAL Jem so I can stop building my own!

No wait.....nevermind...I thought we were talking to a company that actually listened to what their customers want!!!

You still can't beat Ibanez IMHO but I have begun to actively seek other companies who at least respond in some manner.

#159 ·
Please respect us Lefties!!!!!!!!

Maybe an RGA style or REAL Jem so I can stop building my own!

No wait.....nevermind...I thought we were talking to a company that actually listened to what their customers want!!!

You still can't beat Ibanez IMHO but I have begun to actively seek other companies who at least respond in some manner.
Ibanez more than listen to what their customers want. The EGEN18 comes with locking studs for example. Something people have been whining about forever. Tak Hosono posts here and brings things up at meetings on our behalf all the time. Theres PLENTY of response from Ibanez on all kinds of things. Fact is though, they'll never please everyone and Lefties make Ibanez so little money, and are so little market, that they could comfortably offer NO lefty models at all and have no issues.

Be thankful for what you get and feel free to request more if you have an argument, but don't ay things are a certain way just because they're not in YOUR favour. As Rich said, 13 left handed guitar players on Jemsite in over 3 years is hardly a massive commitment maker for Ibby leftys.

----------------
Now playing: Hawkwind - Wizards of Pan Tang
via FoxyTunes

#160 ·
I am not disgruntled by their devotion to some apsects of production. I believe that possibly by offering more communications, such as polling Lefties as to what they would desire most if produced (Ala the recent 770's for righties....) and acting on devoted customers willing to place downpayments prior to production, they could maintain a stronger bond with the loyal Lefty fanbase.

Just a suggestion/solution vice senseless complaining as sometimes inserted.

I have numerous 80's and early 90's lefty models that I have restored and continue to play daily but long for some newer updates also. I would honorably stay true to Ibanez with just a few simple steps from them.

#161 ·
If you ever decide to pool together to get the 770 Left handed.. lemme know :D .. Its been a fact that lefties have been ignored.. i posted a comment in the other section on whether we'd see a lefty version of the S series or the ZR trem and apparently nothing is discussed on that..
-- No Profit -- is what would have rung around the bench!!

I know we cant really ask for much but We have 1 prestige model thats lefthanded!! And no color option on that either.. No RGT.. None with Maple fretboard.. There are a lot of options out there which can be done..
I dont think we are asking too much!! Cant we have an upgraded model like every 3-4 years atleast??!!!

To start with I veto the lefhanded 770.. Please .. let this be my next axe............

#162 · (Edited)
To start with I veto the lefhanded 770..
why would you prohibit the making of a guitar you want?

for the Record, myself and Groove came up with a list of all the known models Ibanez has made over the years in left hand, its actually more impressive then you would think. If anyone see's any errors, please say something. * = still in production

- Jem 555 (basically a way overpriced 470L)
- RG 7420L (Rare, Lo-Trs, only production Lefty 7 from Ibanez)
- RG 1570L (Prestige) (black, blue (rare), Suede (matte) black, Gray ones were avail in Europe/Canada, rare!)
- RG 550 EXL
- RG 2550 EXL (Prestige version of the 550EXL, both were Japan/Europe only models)
*- RG1550L Black with maple board, probably same neck as the 1570. yummy!!
- RG 550L (yellow,RFR, FA and black)(550L's spanned from 87 to 91, the 2 neons were first year only I believe, 1987)
- RG 560L (Black, Jewel Blue, Grape Ice)
- RG 570L (jewel Blue in 92', black all other years)
- RG 3120TWL (Prestige)(lo-Pro) (some were Black backs, some were transparent blue backs, weird! Here's the story, back in 2000 Ibanez was feeling generous, they let dealers a 2 week window to let lefty's order them, keep in mind these cost probably $1500+ new, Including mine, I have seen 3 total, I have a black backed one. This is the best production lefty Ibanez has ever made, my best guess is about 10 in existence)
- S 570L
- s 440L (Black and red, O-Edge, a lot of people think they are 540's but they are not, this model inspired the JS series, these are true Sabres, not like the newer S series, it has been shown that the neck pocket is stamped 540, but the guitar config is clearly a 440, was this a goof on ibanez?)
- S 470L (with the wave inlay, a few colors, would be a awesome guitar without the TRS)
- RG 470L post 93' (yawn! The Japan ones were good though, a few colors,wizard II, AANJ, lo-trs)
- RG 470L 1993 only (What another 470? in 1993 the RG470L was made, it had wizard 1 neck, square joint and a real Edge! this is the real good one and is rare! black only)
- SZ520QML (Looks nice, but is Korean junk, I played one, can attest!)
- RG 1077XLL (Prestige) (only one made ever made for a short time endorsee, Technically the rarest of all Ibanez Leftys, but non-production)
- RG 680L (japan only, one of the rarest production lefty ever, finishes unknown, stock reverse headstock! I was told the neck is much thicker than a Wiz II, boo)
* - SA260FML (Korean, back is flat, front is S shaped, I hear they are not impressive, looks nice though, comes in Amber and Purple flame maple)
- PL1770L (Black and Copper, Rare!)
- RG 440L (Roadstar 2 Series, old headstock, Black and Pearl White, medium Rare!)
- RG 140L (Roadstar 2 series, old headstock, the cheap model! Black or White, common)
- PF150BKL (Post lawsuit Les Paul)
- AR100AVL (Double cut like a ghostrider, very Rare!!)
- No.2350L (pre lawsuit Lespaul, I see these an 3bay all the time!)
- No.2386L (pre lawsuit Lespaul)
- GAX70L (Only slightly better than the 20L, only slightly)
* - RX20L (Codename: Firewood)
* - RG370DXL (OK beginners model, and thats about that)
- RG370B(L) (Edge pro 2, japan made, dot inlays, much better than DX!)

#165 ·
It's sad that a gigantic company, especially japan-based (of whom I have greater expectations) wouldn't cater to specific needs. I mean it's not like string selection where you have a trillion gauges and combinations, and people are fussy about it.

There's lefties and... right-handed people. There's nobody who plays with their ears, and so forth. And sure, people do play with their teeth, but it's a stage stunt. :p

So I think you should at least be able to ask for your music store to stock some lefty models. And for that, Ibanez should produce some more. Otherwise, it's plain discrimination, for the sake of sales and cash.

Gee, I guess our world wouldn't be our world if everything WASN'T about cash.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.