Ibanez Custom Shop - Ever Again? - Jemsite
Comments to Ibanez Here is your chance to post your comments to Ibanez. Officially this topic is NOT endorsed, approved or monitored by Ibanez/Hoshino. That said, voice your opinion anyway. Please be courteous.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2001, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez Custom Shop - Ever Again?

This topic has been discussed several hundred times before, but it has never been brought up in the new forum.

Wouldn't it be nice if the "Custom Shop" was opened again? *A catalog similar to that which was popular in the early nineties would be very nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2001, 04:30 PM

Ibanez Custom Shop

I'm not sure how it worked before, (and I'm sure it wasn't like this...) but I think it would be fantastic if you could fill out a form or something, as many other guitar brands allow you to do, and get EXACTLY what you wanted.

I, for one, would be willing to pay the extra cost for such a service, and would be more than willing to wait a several months (or longer) for delivery.

If it's at all possible, I would love to be able to select any, all, or none (in the case of inlay, headstock reverse, lion's claw...) from a list of the following options:

neck shape
headstock reverse
inlay (maybe even offer an "IBANEZ" 12th fret inlay...)
fretwire
pickups
knob & switch configuration
jack position and type
strap locks
binding
finish
body wood
figured top
pickguard
lion's claw
monkey grip
specify 6 or 7 string guitar
double-ege trem
lo-pro edge trem
fixed bridge
extra charge to match headstock finish to body

Of course, all that's based on the standard RG/JEM body shape, but that doesn't have to be written in stone...

(Edited by ryan at 3:31 pm on Jan. 12, 2001)

(Edited by ryan at 3:40 pm on Jan. 12, 2001)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2001, 04:37 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Ibanez Custom Shop

Quote:
I, for one, would be willing to pay the extra cost for such a service, and would be more than willing to wait a few months for delivery.
* FYI guitars such as the American Masters had a one year backorder in 1990.

It would be nice, but very unrealistic in my opinion.

Barring problems, there will be a nice feature on the "USA Custom Shop" added to jemsite this weekend. Check the homepage later on... glen
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2001, 04:46 PM

Ibanez Custom Shop

I edited my post...

I'm willing to wait if they're willing to build what I want.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2001, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez Custom Shop

See I don't want to get greedy and have a "Custom Custom." *The USA Customs had a limited number of options, but just enough options that would build a perfect guitar for me.

It's nice to see that now, ten years later, there are a few USA Customs for sale that come close to what it is I am looking for. *But - it would be nicer if I could have one mde for me instead of buying second hand.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2001, 04:53 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Ibanez Custom Shop

I'd be personally willing to wait 12-18 months no questions asked... glen
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2001, 05:09 PM

Reviews: 3
Ibanez Custom Shop

FYI - Guitar Center on Halsted in Chicago STILL thinks that *I* could order a custom guitar through Ibanez. *Sheez.

Anyways, having something at least similar to Warmoth would be nice. *Where they allow you to select from all available Ibanez bodies, parts, necks, etc. *Having people send in exact neck specs would take forever... but if they just stocked more of their standard "parts" and assembled them per order. *Some necks would probably have to be cut different to work with different bodies/neck joints... but it'd be a fun time.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2001, 05:35 PM

Ibanez Custom Shop

Here's the real question...

What would we be willing to pay for such a wide variety of options?

$2000?
$4000?
$10,000?

J>
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2001, 12:53 AM
Vendor

Ibanez Custom Shop

Heard a story from an Asian source where they got a price from the J Custom shop for a client that wanted an RG with a Dragon inlay down the fretboard. The quote was $7000. I *don't* think he had it built.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2001, 03:44 AM

Ibanez Custom Shop

Still not bad when you consider what you pay for a PRS Dragon series. *There is a PRS Dragon 2000 on e-bay right now, last I checked there were 21 bids, high bid at $10099 and reserve still hadn't been met.
All that and personally I don't even like the PRS guitars!
Jeremy
hey that should give me my 3rd dot, yippie!!!!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2001, 05:34 AM

Ibanez Custom Shop

I'm torn on this. On the one hand, like everybody else, I'd love to see Ibanez open up a Jackson- or ESP-style custom shop where you can just call them up and list what you want ("Powder Cosmo Lo-Pro, JPM electronics, through-neck, ebony fretboard, Hello Kitty inlays" ), but that seems about as likely as a 2001 mecca777 signature model. This is, after all, Ibanez we're talking about.

At the same time, I'm not sure that I'd use that service, because I would mainly be paying to have "Ibanez" on the notched-pointy headstock. Personally speaking, if I was thinking of spending several thousand pounds on a new guitar, built exactly the way I wanted it, I think that I'd probably just call up a UK custom builder, and spend 100% of the money on the guitar, instead of shipping, import duty, VAT, Ibanez logo and the rest.

Still, I'd love to see a return to the limited-option days of the early 90s, with some high-quality J-Custom or Prestige models that could be lightly customised from a range of different options, priced in the same range as the current high-end Ibanez instruments.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2001, 11:49 AM

Ibanez Custom Shop

I heard from another *Asian* source that you can't have trademark features..ie, lion's claw, monkey grip...yadayadayada...I heard from that certain *asian* source that these are all trademarks of the respective endorsees of the guitars. Tough luck...well there's always CGW
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2001, 12:36 PM

Ibanez Custom Shop

Quote:
Quote: from Christopher Chen on 10:49 am on Jan. 13, 2001
...well there's always CGW
Who

J>
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2001, 01:51 PM

Ibanez Custom Shop

Sorry about that Custom Guitar Wares
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-31-2001, 05:44 PM

Reviews: 2
Ibanez Custom Shop

I think Ibanez should do something just like carvin for a custom shop. It would give players more options and keep the turn around time and costs down in effect. It shouldn't be a full scale custom shop, it would just collapse in about 5 years or so.

Tags
black headstock , body shape , custom guitar , custom guitar wares , custom shop , ebony fretboard , edge trem , fixed bridge , fret inlay , headstock shape , ibanez custom shop , ibanez guitars , ibanez pgm , jack butler , jem custom , monkey grip , neck joint , neck joints , neck shape , pointy headstock , pro edge , pro edge trem , prs guitar , prs guitars , strap lock , strap locks , usa custom shop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode