Ibanez JEM Forum banner
16K views 73 replies 44 participants last post by  MERCYFULFATE 
#1 ·
A regular visitor of the forum is now involved with the electronics R&D division of Hoshino USA. They have put out an open call to the Forum looking for ideas for their expanding amp and effect line.

The focus and feedback is welcome regarding expanding these products:
  • smaller (25-50 watt) combo amps: straight forward combo amp at a good price. (ie. not expensive modeling, but maybe a DSP chip for tonal quality).
  • stomp boxes - looking for realistic suggestions that would appeal to a wide audience of guitarists.
All feedback, comments & suggestions welcome. Thanks... glen

#28 ·
Ibanez Effects & Amps

Quote: from bob oakman on 8:24 pm on Sep. 26, 2001
Bottom line… IMHO, if the distortion sounds good, I think people will buy it. Personally, the properties and tone of the distortion is pretty much the only thing I take into consideration when buying an amp. If the distortion stinks there is no amount of loops, bells and whistles that can make me buy it.
Obviously I can't speak for you, and a fair amount of others on the Forum when I say this, but I have never heard a good amp distortion, ever (EDIT: from a non-digital amp). So I think a one-channel amp is good enough for me - probably would cost less to make too.

My $.02. If anyone agrees with that, I'll be amazed.

-Justin

(Edited by sixstringphoenix at 3:27 pm on Sep. 27, 2001)

#30 ·
Ibanez Effects & Amps

Yup. Distortion is one of those things that can't be pinned down with a description. Plus everyone has different tastes. I personally dislike certain small things about the distortion I get from modeling gadgets. I also agree about never hearing an amp with… well, excellent overdrive tone. I have achieved "good" with the aid of other gadgets… That is, until I heard some of the new tube preamps available.

I would hope that Ibanez would spring for the research to discover the "secret ingredient", condense it into a simple gadget and screw it into a small amp box.

Easier said than done and probably already done for that matter. That's just my hope. :)

#32 ·
Ibanez Effects & Amps

AMP: I'm with the others on a small tube amp. They might even subcontract some othe company on this.

PEDALS: I think analog re-issues (9 series) would be popular if they were competitively priced.

Bob had an excellent idea on the artist endorsement...maybe an Ibanez pedal to replace the DS-1 for Satch?

Greg

#33 ·
Ibanez Effects & Amps

Quote: from bob oakman on 11:18 am on Sep. 27, 2001
Excellent suggestion Spiral. I guess that may be costly to make… I don't know, but I have always wanted that function on my pedals. It would certainly make Ibanez pedals unique.
Yeah... that's the idea. I know it can be done, and I know digitech attempted it before, but they didn't carry it too far... None using the distortion box. Mostly with whammy and wah, and combos. But if this idea was expanded, can you imagine the creativity possibilities????? :shocked:

#34 ·
Ibanez Effects & Amps

Being a POD Pro owner, I'd love to see a multi-effects device which doesn't include redundant amp and speaker modeling - just the effects. Line 6 themselves have tackled this with distortion, modulation, delay, and filter modelers but I'd love to see some of the more standard effects in a unit.

#35 ·
Ibanez Effects & Amps

maybe i am not understanding the 'controller' things started by spiral but doesn't Akai and other companys already do this ?

Doesn't the Akai Shredmaster (i think that is what it is called) have a Controller that lets the user dial in the dirt ???

I'm not sure i could be wrong

What i would like to see on the pedal front is solid construction like a boss or EH pedal, good analog AND digital circuits (a selection would be nice so you could choose between analog OR digital chorus), and a few presets would be nice (MIDI controlable would be nicer).

On the subject of controller pedals i dont htink these should be built into the pedal as this would reduce building costs and reliability problems. It would also allow the user to decide how much they wanted from the device

a good cheap noise free reliable pedal power supply would be nice as well.

#36 ·
Ibanez Effects & Amps

i've just had another idea i dont know how cheap it would be to impliment thought .........

we keep with teh 50 milliwatt tube amp idea

and we have both hard bypassable pre and post gain stage EQ

the pre-amp and power amp sections are on 'cards' similar to PCI , nubus whatever and they can be swapped to give different circuit designs ergo different sounds.

So you could have a 'fender' pre-amp going into a 'marshall' power section, or a 'dumble' preamp into 'hiwatt' power section whatever

that way the maximum tonall flexability is available but at a cost choosen by the consumer, the amp comes with say 1 of each card and others can be bought as and when decided

so what do ya think ?

also on the pedals i want filters, vocoders and ring modulators

#39 ·
Ibanez Effects & Amps

Ok, looks like we all want a cranked tube saturation tone, but why stop with just the amp? How bout a tube stomp box? I know they have the Tube King, which is a decent little box, but I'd like something more. Something with like, 2 12AX7s. The MT-2, Grunge, and similar pedal have dual gain circuits, so couldn't it work with 2 tubes too?

#42 ·
Ibanez Effects & Amps

mmmm you could use two gain channels, but I dont see why?

its about time there was a tube wah using a variable capacitor instead of a crappy pot, no more crackle, no more corrosion, better response and far more control. one that isnt the same size as malibu stacys dream international airport. And its got to have gold plated contact points too. Now that I would buy for $200.

Steve

#43 ·
Ibanez Effects & Amps

Quote: from Devo on 8:07 pm on Oct. 3, 2001
mmmm you could use two gain channels, but I dont see why?

its about time there was a tube wah using a variable capacitor instead of a crappy pot, no more crackle, no more corrosion, better response and far more control. one that isnt the same size as malibu stacys dream international airport. And its got to have gold plated contact points too. Now that I would buy for $200.

Steve
yeah a smaller wah would be nice (how about one with presets !)

#45 ·
Ibanez Effects & Amps

I would like to see an affordable ring modulator, with pedal control like a wah-wah. And it could be used as a volume pedal too.

And maybe an octave fuzz, with both octave up and down settings. Both could potentially get popular with the current rap/metal experimental scene, that has been the big market for Ibanez lately.

#46 ·
Ibanez Effects & Amps

how about a line of artist dreamt-up pedals?

Every company has engineers and scientists to come up with their own versions of Wah, reverb, delay, distortion, fuzz and chorus, but wouldn't it be interesting to see what musicians wanted?

For instance. I bet the guys from Orgy would want some sort of a Synth pedal. Something that ranges from a mild rasp to a sort of sawtooth sweep.

The guys from Korn might come up with some strange flanging that adds a delay at the peaks and valleys of the sweep.

Maybe Tom Morello would have an idea for a pedal that lets artists more closely mimic a turntable. For instance, how about a pedal that lets you slice two channels the way a DJ's mixer does?

just some ideas rather than the same old effects.

#48 ·
Ibanez Effects & Amps

Quote: from one less than none on 9:33 pm on Oct. 2, 2001
the pre-amp and power amp sections are on 'cards' similar to PCI , nubus whatever and they can be swapped to give different circuit designs ergo different sounds.

So you could have a 'fender' pre-amp going into a 'marshall' power section, or a 'dumble' preamp into 'hiwatt' power section whatever
Sounds a bit like the old Seymour Duncan Convertible amps, which were less than a roaring success. :)

I think I'd like to see reissues of some other classic Ibanez pedals than just the TS9, and some unusual modulation effects in their Tone-Lok range. At the moment, half the range is made up of different distortion pedals. Another cool idea might be a variant on the Tube King distortion pedal, but with a 1-watt-or-less power section as well for a more "amp-like" sound that won't hurt the input stage of an actual guitar amp.

My friend Pete would like to see a reissue of the Soundtank CM5 Classic Metal pedal, because he's the only person in the world who still uses one. :)

#49 ·
Ibanez Effects & Amps

I would like to see a tube screamer that had a foot pedal (like a whammy pedal looking thing) where you could adjust the parameters (ie; tone, drive & level) but also asign which parameter you would like to adjust. A setting to adjust drive or level by pedal would be cool. I could see a lot of potential in adjust eh tone...guess that would be almost like a wha???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.