ibanez guitars,a design team only? - Jemsite
Comments to Ibanez Here is your chance to post your comments to Ibanez. Officially this topic is NOT endorsed, approved or monitored by Ibanez/Hoshino. That said, voice your opinion anyway. Please be courteous.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

ibanez guitars,a design team only?

just who makes them? i have heard yamaha does. is ibanez just a design team? and if so . who makes the ibanez guitars now? or who manufactures them?

frank gambale said they were just a design team? i would like to know who or where they are made for real?

is ibanez a company that makes thier own guitars? if not who?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 08:24 PM

Ibanez's Japanese guitars are made in the Fuji-gen-gakki plant in Japan. This plant makes guitars for other companies as well(Fender Japan, Fernandez Japan, etc).

The J Custom guitars might be made somewhere else, but I'll believe that when I see pictures of the place.

Most of Yamaha's current prodution line is make in Taiwan/China, with some Korean models. Like Fernandez, they make very few Japanese guitars now-a-days, though those guitars might've been from the Fujigen plant.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 09:04 PM

i never heard that before. I know ibanez is owned by hoshino, and to my knowledge, they manufacture the high end ones themselves in japan and the mid and low range ones are made by Samick in Korea.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 07:44 PM

Frank Gambale says that Ibanez is just a design team.

http://mb.frankgambale.com/NonCGI/Fo...ML/000372.html

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 07:53 PM

I also found this. See the replies to questions 18 and 19.

http://www.frankgambale.com/pages/brazil.html

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 09:30 AM

If that is true, what is the custom shop doing in LA at all?

Regards

André

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 09:21 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: ibanez guitars,a design team only?

The LA Custom Shop is for endorsed artists only... no production. See thread in the FAQ/Archive. They do some design too, which probably has little input on Ibanez JPN. Frank is pretty much dead on regarding the shops... they are not Ibanez exclusive and to my knowledge they are not ibanez owned.

Frank is correct in that Ibanez does not have a factory of Ibanez employees doing exclusive work for their company (ala PRS/Gibson).

I can't comment on their ethics however, but i'm sure he has his reasons and credit him for his candor... glen
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
The LA Custom Shop is for endorsed artists only... no production. See thread in the FAQ/Archive. They do some design too, which probably has little input on Ibanez JPN. Frank is pretty much dead on regarding the shops... they are not Ibanez exclusive and to my knowledge they are not ibanez owned.

Frank is correct in that Ibanez does not have a factory of Ibanez employees doing exclusive work for their company (ala PRS/Gibson).

I can't comment on their ethics however, but i'm sure he has his reasons and credit him for his candor... glen
When Frank was an endorsee at Ibanez, didn't he get his guitars made at the LA custom shop? Or is the LA Custom Shop limited to endorsees of a certain level?

Regards

André

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 02:45 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

the production guitars he was given would be standard assembly line pieces. if he had a custom guitar made it was from the LACS. .. glen
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 02:56 PM
Vendor

Or Bensalem, he was an endorcee when they were doing artist guitars there
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 12:04 PM

Has anyone played that Gambale Yamaha?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 11:30 PM

IBANEZ is basically just a trading company. Other people make their guitars for them (eg. Fujigen, World factory)

And for the record, yea, played the Frank Gambale Yamaha.. sounds and feels ok to me .. but it could improve it's looks.. definitely.. i prefer the old Ibanez frank gambale last time ...
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

now i think they are looking for a new place to build?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 03:18 AM

Why?

Regards

André

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 02:47 PM

Honestly speaking....I don't think it's going to matter whether Ibanez is a design team or not. I've known this for a really long time. But it's kind of taboo to mention this on a community with so much love for their instruments. Look at it this way. As of today I believe it's very hard to find a popular instrument maker that charges the prices we pay for jems/UVs/RGs/PGMs/Whatever without going through an "automated" factory/assembly line type of setup.

The fact remains that Ibanez, or more rather Hoshino Gakki (which also makes tonnes of other instruments, and then some), makes instruments that we love. Not only for their design, but their playability and quality. Quality with the exception of a few.

The fact that the are "merely" a design team should not bother anyone. I think we should focus our comments to the company itself confined on aspects that can and will actually improve the build quality, features and general design of the instruments themselves.

I've been playing Ibanez for the past 8 years, as far as I can see it, nothings gonna change that. And neither is my love for Jems/UVs.

Christopher.

Tags
custom guitar , custom guitars , custom shop , frank gambale , hoshino gakki , ibanez guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode