Ibanez local customer service sucks - Jemsite
Comments to Ibanez Here is your chance to post your comments to Ibanez. Officially this topic is NOT endorsed, approved or monitored by Ibanez/Hoshino. That said, voice your opinion anyway. Please be courteous.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez local customer service sucks

I needed to repair my Ibanez Jemini.
Went to Mother's and Axe music. Both told me to go to Long and McQuade.
I have ordered replacement parts at Long and McQuade. After 2 months of calling and asking every week - all I got were just the excuses. They kept bleming Efkay - official Ibanez representative for Canada (I guess).
Contacted Efkay - they say that they have never received a request from Long and McQuade. Luckily enough one of their guys decided to just send me the parts directly - free of charge. Breaking all the rules ;-) . I was impressed.
Obviously there was a ****up somewhere. Do I need to point my finger?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 04:02 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: Ibanez local customer service sucks

Efkay Music is the only wholesaler of Ibanez gear in Canada. From what my boss says (I teach guitar at a music shop) Efkay kind of gets the shaft from Ibanez when he comes to getting stuff and Efkay is going to send out to big shops (which would include Long and McQuade so I don't get that) before local shops. We just aren't as big a market as the USA and the Local Japenese market.

Don't know if it's entirely true or not.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeHappy View Post
Efkay Music is the only wholesaler of Ibanez gear in Canada. From what my boss says (I teach guitar at a music shop) Efkay kind of gets the shaft from Ibanez when he comes to getting stuff and Efkay is going to send out to big shops (which would include Long and McQuade so I don't get that) before local shops. We just aren't as big a market as the USA and the Local Japenese market.

Don't know if it's entirely true or not.
I ordered a guitar from Tom Lee that the supplier (Efkay?) had in stock, and it still took two months. The guys at Tom Lee said the Ibanez rep is a joke and doesn't seem to give a rats ass when stuff takes forever. Pissed me off.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatohead_33 View Post
I ordered a guitar from Tom Lee that the supplier (Efkay?) had in stock, and it still took two months. The guys at Tom Lee said the Ibanez rep is a joke and doesn't seem to give a rats ass when stuff takes forever. Pissed me off.
In the decades I've loved this company, the good reps have been rare. I've only met one who was awesome through and through.

When I worked at a shop here in CA, we tried to get Ibanez in the store and start selling their guitars. It was between them and ESP...since I was the chief electric guitar guy there, and I loved Ibanez at the time so much, I really wanted them. Unfortunately, calls to the main office got me nowhere. Getting the phone number for the local area rep in my part of California, did nothing since we NOT ONCE got a call back. I held off as long as I could before the boss started pressuring me to get SOMEONE'S electric line in the store. I tried to make an appointment since Namm was coming up and was blown off.

So we got ESP. Sold about 60-70 of their guitars in that one year. Would've been nice to have a company I preferred...

Ultimately, with the number of Sam Ash and GC stores around California, it obviously boiled down to them caring for the larger accounts and really not needing our piddly little store clogging up their paperwork I guess... Better to sell your guitars through a big chain with missing parts and the wrong trem arm then a small shop that actually gives a crap.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 07:07 PM
Vendor

It wasn't cool you weren't contacted to at least let you know, but Reps are there to sell to everyone they can, or feel will promote the line and do business the right way. But territories are protected and if in the Rep's opinion you were too close to another authorized dealer, you will not be authorized. I'm right in the middle or 3 in every direction, there was no way my Rep could authorize me had I not gotten authorized as an internet dealer. Considering you're in the LA basin, I seriously doubt there was a spot available for you.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It wasn't cool you weren't contacted to at least let you know, but Reps are there to sell to everyone they can, or feel will promote the line and do business the right way. But territories are protected and if in the Rep's opinion you were too close to another authorized dealer, you will not be authorized. I'm right in the middle or 3 in every direction, there was no way my Rep could authorize me had I not gotten authorized as an internet dealer. Considering you're in the LA basin, I seriously doubt there was a spot available for you.
nope...the guy in PA that I spoke to on the phone (nice dude by the way) told me who the nearest dealer was, and I went there, and they had nothing on their walls. I asked if they'd be able to order or anything and they had the same issue-they couldn't ever get a hold of their local area rep. I don't remember the guy's name, but I did meet him at Namm, and he asked me to wait because he had a meeting with some other folks. Perfectly understandable. I'd have made an appointment if he'd have called me back in the months preceeding...lol But I know Namm is business...so I waited patiently. When he came out, he seemed annoyed that I was still there, gave me a catalog to look over and said he had another meeting.

I've played Ibanez since I was 12...I'm in my 30's now. The RG shape is to me what the 70's strat is to Yngwie. I've grown with it...I'd have sold Hoshino's lineup with a smile and stood behind every one of them. But I couldn't get in...

I did later call PA again, to ask very simply why I was being ignored when I WANTED to sell them. I have 2 Sam Ash stores within driving distance and had no problem selling tons of ESP (considering we're a small mom and pop shop catering to Martins and Taylors). It wasn't about competing because I loved it and sold it. We did have a problem with ESP's local rep, but they just ended up making us a "house account" and I didn't have a rep anymore...I dealt direct with an inside rep and we were fine from there for 3 years.

I'm like you Rich...I like the stuff. Have tons of it myself. I won't carry it if I don't like it because I gotta lie to push it. I wanted them...but couldn't even get a meeting. With my manager on my butt, I had to pick one. Since I couldn't get more than a catalog, I had to go with the company that was talking to us...

I still love the company for myself...but I don't expect that I'll ever be a dealer. lol...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 11:52 PM
Vendor

Sounds like something that happens in many businesses. The sales rep gets a little too full of themselves and doesn't cater to his customers. There will always be the good and bad in any business. My rep spent the whole day yesterday doing data entry work for a small dealer in Trenton. I've got one of the good ones, I count myself lucky. He also knows I love food, and takes me out to some new killer place every other month, like last night
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Sounds like something that happens in many businesses. The sales rep gets a little too full of themselves and doesn't cater to his customers. There will always be the good and bad in any business. My rep spent the whole day yesterday doing data entry work for a small dealer in Trenton. I've got one of the good ones, I count myself lucky. He also knows I love food, and takes me out to some new killer place every other month, like last night
yeah i understand...the people at ESP were good to me too. I actually tried looking for the Ibanez rep that made such a great impression on me as a teen...lol I was just a snotty kid who liked his guitars, but he answered all my questions and put the very first 777DY in my hands that I saw in person. (Thusly ruining me forever for other guitar companies...lol)

Whatever...it was some time ago. Hopefully they're doing well and maybe have a new rep in the area. I understand the "dealer spacing" idea. But if I will sell them and Sam Ash won't, I don't see the conflict really on anyone other than Sam Ash...lol

There's a chance I may go back to that dealer again...with the economy, I've been cut down in the work I do now and may go back to them as a little suppliment. They're dropping ESP. They just haven't sold since I left. (Not to toot my own horn...) I'd love to put a certain other company in ESP's place in that store...lol I'd love to populate the area with JS2400's...Jems, Universes...all that stuff. I'm an Original Edge lover. I'd be a hog in warm mud to load up on those things...lol

Tags
axe , long mcquade , mother's , service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode