Korn... your people call it Korn.... - And their signature g - Jemsite
Comments to Ibanez Here is your chance to post your comments to Ibanez. Officially this topic is NOT endorsed, approved or monitored by Ibanez/Hoshino. That said, voice your opinion anyway. Please be courteous.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2001, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Korn... your people call it Korn.... - And their signature g

Hope I am posting this in the right place.....

OK,... Korn.. Ibanez gave them their own signature guitar.. Now, I have only heard the tunes on the radio of theirs, but from what I understand, its a damn good representation of what the rest of their stuff is.. Now, dont get me wrong, I am not flaming Korn, but they dont do much GUITAR *playing*.. It';s almost as if tthey use the guitars to make *sounds*, like samples off a keyboard... just a lot of gung gung..runga runga guh GUNK! *

So, my question is this - normally, a wonderful guitarist will get his/her own signature guitar, and it makes sense with people like Vai (a.k.a GOD, to some...), JP, Gambale, etc... These people are KNOWN for their great guitar works...

But why Korn? Was it a marketing thing to get the bring up 7 string sales? *Thats about all I can figure....

I dont have anything against them, and I have only heard their music on the radio.. I have to qualify myself here... Like I said, I am just curious....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2001, 05:04 PM

Korn... your people call it Korn....

Quote:
trapzilla on 3:37 pm on Dec. 18, 2001

But why Korn? Was it a marketing thing to get the bring up 7 string sales? *Thats about all I can figure....
Of course it was a 'marketing thing', that is all any endorsement/signature model ever is. The whole point of endorsers and sig. models is to increase sales. Ibanez isn't chasing down Brett Garsed (for example) for a signature guitar because there probably isn't a large enough group of Garsed wannabies out there to support such a product, even though it could be argued he is every bit the guitarist as anyone Ibanez has ever endorsed.

Players like Steve Vai with a medium to (relatively) small sized fanbase, which includes a high % of hardcore guitargeek fans, will likely draw enough potential buyers to warrant a product, as will a band like Korn, with a lower % of serious guitar playing fans, but a (currently) much larger fanbase.

No matter how unbelievable the player, if a complany doesn't think they will be benefited by creating a sig. model for them, they won't do it.

(Edited by cmartin at 5:15 pm on Dec. 18, 2001)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2001, 05:06 PM

Reviews: 3

The name "Korn" sells guitars. *Plain and simple. *

It would be nice if signature guitars only went to those who could play guitar well and were respected for their talents... but between a, let's say, Adrian Lagg signature model... and a Wes Boreland signature model... The latter is going to attract more impulsive kids with their parents' credit cards in hand.

If it's any consolation... Korn has been pretty dedicated to Ibanez and did help the 7 string gain popularity to a great extent.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2001, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Understood. *It's all about the ALMIGHTY dollar...
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2001, 10:18 PM

BC Rich are coming out with a Mick Thomson model. Go figure that one!
not that I don't respect his playing, but....it's not that special

Guitar companies go to however's selling lotsa records. And it works! And you don't see great players like Slash having signature models (ok, they had the thing, but they discontinued it after like a year...it was a really limited production) simply 'cause he doesn't sell many records anymore.

It's all a matter of taste...hell, I'm sure Head or Munky are as much god to some as Vai is to me
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 03:49 PM

Yep, it's the money and the marketing.

First you have what I call the "broad-appeal signature models". Let's say you have a guitarist whose technical ability is no greater than that of his or her peers, and lesser than many of the best, but who has an enormous fanbase who will purchase a guitar that's associated with the player. You can also include deceased musicians whose legacy continues to sell guitars to their devoted fanbase despite their death. Into this category we might throw:

Korn, Paul Stanley, Mark Tremonti, Tom Delonge, Dimebag, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jimi Hendrix, Randy Rhoads, Angus Young

and many more, in fact the majority of signature guitars. These guitars tend to be refinements of existing models (with some exceptions) with small cosmetic or hardware tweaks.

Then you have the "limited-appeal high-takeup signature": as commented above, the artist has a smaller but more fiercely loyal fanbase whose appetite for merchandise far outstrips the "average music fan". This category tends to produce more experimental and focused instruments, as the artist fine-tunes their requirements and produces the occasional surprising innovation, but it will never be the cash cow that "broad-appeal" signature guitars can. This category includes:

Steve Vai, Frank Gambale, John Petrucci, Les Paul, Eddie Van Halen

and so on. These are the guitars that grow into incredibly popular "standard" lines (Ibanez RG, Gibson LP, Ernie Ball Axis) because of the thought and intelligence behind their design.

I'm glad that Ibanez has supported the second kind of signature model, such as the JEM, and I can't begrudge them a big-selling advert guitar like the K-7, even if I wouldn't want to play one.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 04:03 PM
Vendor

The only problem with that scenario is the K7 is probably the worst selling sig model of all time. They totally missed the price point a Korn fan will pay for one, and dealers are finding themselves lucky to get back cost. Sometimes it doesn't matter how good or unique the product is if the fan base isn't willing to drop the dime. I agree that Kudos go to Ibanez for the attemp, it just missed the mark in this case.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 04:12 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

as others said, this was more of a "name recognition" type sales pitch, not a virtuoso selling guitars that worked well 10-15 years ago.

Quote:
Rich on 3:03 pm on Dec. 26, 2001
The only problem with that scenario is the K7 is probably the worst selling sig model of all time.
sorry ibanez, but that is *great* news for guitarists who like ibanez guitars.

>>They totally missed the price point a Korn fan will pay

that was obvious before the product was even available huh

>>and dealers are finding themselves lucky to get back cost.

raise hands if you're surprised (*no hands visible*)

>>Sometimes it doesn't matter how good or unique the product is if the fan base isn't willing to drop the dime. I agree that Kudos go to Ibanez for the attemp, it just missed the mark in this case.

They were warming up their relief pitcher when the game was already over. Live and learn... glen
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 04:19 PM
Vendor

From a marketing standpoint, a reliced 7620 for $100 over normal would have sold by the bazillions. Korn fans/players (for the most part) play beater 7620's or customized beater UV's. Just the nature of the genre is wild and playing a guitar with battle scars is what *fits*. I can't tell you how many letters I've gotten from Korn fans looking for beater UV's under $500. Not the type you'd expect to drop over $1200 on a shiny new model. And for the record, I haven't even sold *1* K7.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Rich -

is the K7 a nice guitar? how are the pups - they arnt Blazes, correct?

JS6 man.. ugh...
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 04:33 PM
Vendor

Personally I think it's a little nicer than a UV, although I don't like jumbo frets one bit (**cough**BFP**cough**) I love the lam necks. It's been pidgeonholed with that obnoxious (to me) K7 inlay. If the inlay wasn't present it would have cross market appeal and who knows how much sales would be improved. Of course it still wouldn't be Korn fans buying :biggrin: Paf 7's.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

*cough*youbastard*cough* !

haha ok, BFP for UV K7!!! hahaha
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 04:44 PM
Vendor

:rotf:

Even though nobody else has a clue what we're talking about now
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 04:48 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

has anyone found a luthier who will remove the K7 inlay without ruining the fretboard? when the K7s closeout at 70% off, i'd like to buy one and have this done ...glen
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 04:52 PM
Vendor

:rotf:

Ok, I think we've had all the fun we should at Ibanez' expense. This conversation has run it's course. Thanks for your comments. Thread Closed.

Oooops, I forgot, I don't posses the power!!
Closed Thread

Tags
angus young , brett garsed , eddie van halen , ernie ball , frank gambale , guitar playing , ibanez guitars , jimi hendrix , john petrucci , jumbo frets , les paul , mark tremonti , paul stanley , randy rhoads , ray vaughan , signature guitar , steve vai , stevie ray , stevie ray vaughan , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode