Logarithmic Potis - Jemsite
Comments to Ibanez Here is your chance to post your comments to Ibanez. Officially this topic is NOT endorsed, approved or monitored by Ibanez/Hoshino. That said, voice your opinion anyway. Please be courteous.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Logarithmic Potis

As far as I know Ibanez still uses linear linear volume and tone potis, so said the german distributor. Are there plans for the future changing to logarithmic ones ?
I've replaced my linear volume poti on my JEM77BRMR with a logarithmic one and i think it's much better than a linear one, volume swells and stuff like that works much better on those, it also allows you to get some decent clean tones.
Most guitar companies already use them. Are there any plans for a change ?

heres a diagramm as an example. In the coordinate systems on the left you can see the difference. The upper one is the linear one and the lower is the logarithmic one.
The X-coordinate is the (turning) way of the poti and the Y-coordinate is the increase of the volume. Simple Math.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 08:54 PM

Re: Logarithmic Potis

you forget the fact that we "hear" logarythmically too hence the Decibel scale! so logarythmic pots make sense on 2 levels
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 01:59 AM

dang, i didn't know i'd find algebra in guitar...

by the looks of the charts, would the logarithmic pots have more of a volume swell towards the top of the range? cause if you look at the graph, the linear remains constant the higher the variable, but the the logarithmic would be quieter in the middle of it's range, is this a good thing?
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 09:16 AM

Reviews: 18

By looking at the graphs, you can certainly determine what type of pot suits you best. Personally, I think that the linear pots will give you a gradual increase and more defined as opposed to the logarithmic ones, which give you full blast from the getgo. At least that's how I'm interpreting the graphs.

Jimmy
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 05:08 PM

Nah, I think graph A is linear, and corresponds to graph C, which I'm guessin is percieved volume...?

If so, Graph B would be logarhythmic, and chart D would be the percieved volume, which would in fact be a smoother taper.

However, it's also worth noting that it's not a true apples-to-apples comparison, since if you'll notice the X axis scale on the two graphs, C and D, is not the same - one is charted linearly, and the other is logarhythmically. Unless that's the point he's trying to make, which frankly is a bit tough to follow in his post.

Either way, I can assure you there's zero chance of a logarythmic pot appearing on the BRMR unless Vai decides he wants one. The rest of the line maybe, but the sig models are spec'd by the artist, not Ibanez.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Well, I just googled the graphic. But graph "a" (linear) and "b" (logarithmic) are the ones you should concentrate on to see the difference ( see my first post for details ). You can achieve more sounds from nearly clean to more distorted by using an logarithmic poti and the volume swells are fantastic. Check out Vader - Warslords to get an impression about an logarithmic volume swell. It's sound pretty awesome.

Well since really a lot of guitar companies move to logarithmic potis, why doesn't Ibanez change ?

Of course it's not problem to exchange the potis, but why not move forward and improve the the electronic and the hardware, than colors and design.
Ibanez already managed to offer perfect instruments to everyone's wishes, why not anymore ?

Tags
clean tone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode