Mr. Hosono......... - Page 3 - Jemsite
Comments to Ibanez Here is your chance to post your comments to Ibanez. Officially this topic is NOT endorsed, approved or monitored by Ibanez/Hoshino. That said, voice your opinion anyway. Please be courteous.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 12:15 PM
Ibanez V.I.P.

Re: Mr. Hosono.........

Thank you all for the replies and comments. There are alot of "Ibanez wish list" in this JEM site already though. I would like to know "What is wrong with our current 7 string guitar lineup?" rather than the "Ibanez wish list" from you guys. This sounds like the samething but not. I would like to know "What needs to be fix right now?" from 7 string players. The 7 string guitar market is very small so that we can't offer alot of options for them but may be we can do better with your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 12:34 PM
Dee

The current line-up isn't so bad, Tak, on the other hand it could hardly be described as great, or exciting. I have only a few complaints, and mainly those are down to the RG1527's lack of finish options, plus there's nothing out there for those of us who prefer a maple fretboard. I would be happy with an RG1527 if it was offered with these features. It's a great guitar, but dare I say, it just looks very uninteresting. Sure, it's all about playability and you can say I'm shallow, but visually it doesn't do anything for me.

The RG7321 is a good beginner's 7 string, but as I'm not a beginner I don't have anything to say except, again, it looks so bland!

And then there's the Universe. This guitar is quite out of reach for many of us, being a signature model. I just miss the old white one with pyramid inlays, but hey, it's up to Steve I guess.

So that's pretty much it. I just think the mid-range is lacking somewhat, but I think the current 1527 could be improved. I would love to see another finish on it for 2008, plus a maple fretboard. Otherwise, no major complaints from me. I still think a 7-string version of the RG550 would be the way to go, but of course this is just back to the wish list again and I don't want to start being unrealistic. No doubt everyone else has their own ideas, hard-tail versions, arch-tops, maple tops, etc...
post #33 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 12:49 PM
Ibanez V.I.P.

Thank you very much Dee! That's exactly what I wanted to hear from guys like yourself. Great!
post #34 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 12:50 PM
Dee

Thank you for listening, Tak, it's an honour to have you here with us.
post #35 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 02:18 PM

What's wrong with your current lineup, you say...
In my opinion, it's the gap between the guitars. You've got the UV, the K7, the 1527, the 7321 and the GRX7, IIRC. That's five seven-string guitars, and look at what areas they cover. The UV and K7 are both by definition and price high-end guitars, the 1527 a mid-high range guitar, and with the production of the 7321 being moved to Indonesia, I think it now ranks as a lower-end guitar, with the GRX7 sitting firmly in the low-end area.

This means that you're covering very very odd ends of the 7-string market - you've got 3 high end guitars (all with trems), and 2 low-end guitars (one hardtail, and one with a low-end trem), they're all rosewood-fretboarded, and none are neckthrough, nor archtops.

What I would suggest is to bring back the mid-range (if there ever was such a thing in your 7-string market). Reintroduce the RG7620/1 with midrange pricing, put in a midranged RGT7 (MIK or MIJ) with trem and hardtail options, and optionally make them available with ebony and/or maple fretboards!

And oh yeah... NO BLACK FINISHES.
post #36 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
The current line-up isn't so bad, Tak, on the other hand it could hardly be described as great, or exciting. I have only a few complaints, and mainly those are down to the RG1527's lack of finish options, plus there's nothing out there for those of us who prefer a maple fretboard. I would be happy with an RG1527 if it was offered with these features. It's a great guitar, but dare I say, it just looks very uninteresting. Sure, it's all about playability and you can say I'm shallow, but visually it doesn't do anything for me.

The RG7321 is a good beginner's 7 string, but as I'm not a beginner I don't have anything to say except, again, it looks so bland!

And then there's the Universe. This guitar is quite out of reach for many of us, being a signature model. I just miss the old white one with pyramid inlays, but hey, it's up to Steve I guess.

So that's pretty much it. I just think the mid-range is lacking somewhat, but I think the current 1527 could be improved. I would love to see another finish on it for 2008, plus a maple fretboard. Otherwise, no major complaints from me. I still think a 7-string version of the RG550 would be the way to go, but of course this is just back to the wish list again and I don't want to start being unrealistic. No doubt everyone else has their own ideas, hard-tail versions, arch-tops, maple tops, etc...
Exactly. Anyone I know with an Ibanez, and myself, feel the same way.

Finish options are too samey, and I know you mentioned "production headaches". But if I wanted a guitar that looked like most other guitars in that range I'm spoiled with choice from other companys.

Ibanez built their name on extreme looking, yet practical and tasteful guitars. 6 and 7 stringed. My next Ibanez will be one that fits that criteria.

Its all about vanity really, don't think anyone is complaining about how they play.

Oh and stop the freekin' cosmo finishes coming off.
post #37 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 03:43 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
and optionally make them available with ebony and/or maple fretboards!
I doubt that Ibanez will be using ebony anytime soon. Tak has explained why in another thread. I can't find the thread right now but maybe he can explain again. Basically, it's due to not being able to get good quality ebony, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudster View Post
Ibanez built their name on extreme looking, yet practical and tasteful guitars. 6 and 7 stringed.
I agree with you to some extent. Ibanez' popularity went through the roof mainly because of Vai. Since Steve's taste changed (or even became bland, if no one minds me saying), Ibanez appeared to follow suit. If Steve wanted a bright green guitar and he had them make a loud looking JEM, I have no doubt that there would be more guitars with green finishes because people want to be like their hero. It seems to be the endorsees who have a say in what is released by the company. I could be wrong, but I do think people like Vai have a huge influence on the direction of a company's products and it's customers.

Last edited by Dee; 05-27-2007 at 03:48 PM.
post #38 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 03:45 PM

I agree %100 with Dee's points.

The 1527 only needs some color options and a maple fret board option to satisfy the majority and keep cost down.

I would like to see real Gotoh hardware on the 7321, and I am sure anyone would give up the binding for a maple board option.

Thank you as always Tak for putting up with us.
post #39 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 04:49 PM

Quote:
It seems to be the endorsees who have a say in what is released by the company. I could be wrong, but I do think people like Vai have a huge influence on the direction of a company's products and it's customers.
And the problem with this is that Steve has very little interest in the UV these days, as Dave handles the 7 string duties now.

I agree we just need some improvement on the higher end RG 7's to fill in between the cheap stuff and the too expensive signature models.

Just a few variations on the 1527 would do, the more realistic among us are not expecting miracles
post #40 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 07:22 PM

I think a H-S-H pickup configuration on the RG 1527 or on the new Saber would be great and maybe a piezo option on a special model.
Black is obviously a standard color for 7 strings, but how about a classic maple wood top or something futuristic, some flowing lines, put some LEDs into the guitar, put the pickups aslant. The futuristic way might be a bit risky, but it's just a suggestion.
A Neck Through 7-String would be nice, too. Maybe there's a way to combine some of the stuff.
But a H-S-H pickup configuration on the middleclass RG or Saber would be a first step into the right direction. Getting away from these dark attic colors would be nice, too.

Greetz from Germany
post #41 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 07:24 PM

Quote:
I doubt that Ibanez will be using ebony anytime soon. Tak has explained why in another thread. I can't find the thread right now but maybe he can explain again. Basically, it's due to not being able to get good quality ebony, I think.
I agree with all of your points Dee, but this reason seems to fall as well.

When in 2004 I believe reading that the Jem 7VWH was promised to have a "dark breed" of rosewood that is carefully selected. The brand new 07 7VWH at a GC I popped into was as bright as day, as well as most other Ibanez rosewood's. I even remember Jim when building the VRMR saying he and Rich went through multiple BRMR's to find one that had a dark enough grain, something that most hoped for from the get go. Go check out that new 77VBK that was posted in the Jem/UV section. If the ebony QC has gone down, and rosewood QC has gone down, and they are using questionable rosewood and no ebony at all...why is the decision made to cut one out and not both?

Not that I dislike rosewood fretboards but that just never added up for me...the rosewood on my $150 allparts neck I bought for my project guitar has a much darker rosewood than most Ibanez rosewood guitars I've played, whether new, used, setup, or not setup. This says something, maybe? I could be totally off but I just wanted to voice my concern.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but I have stated my suggestions for 7 strings, being a UV owner already I feel I am part of the demographic Ibanez is trying to reach (for the 7 market) because in all honesty I do not see myself buying a trem guitar that is NOT a 7 string for a long time. (fixed bridge, different story).
post #42 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 02:49 AM

I think the main thing missing from Ibanez's 7 string department is lack of neckthru.. This would be the main competitive edge against other 7 string companies such as Schecter and Agile and Carvin, which the only reason they win out over Ibanez is because they are neckthru. If Ibanez released a RGT, Even if it was a RG7321 but neckthru, That would definately interest alot more people. I think at least one affordable non J-Custom RGT7 would do wonders for Ibanez.. I propose you just turn the RG7321 into one, and everyone would be happy.

Other than that, I agree with the lack of Maple fretboard options (Not only for Ibanez but every 7 string company) and if we really wanna talk about a dream, Ibanez could bring that Xiphos to 7 string production guitar, since Necrophagist is going to be using a 7 Xiphos. That would also help with the feeling of no body shape options with the 7 string market. (Along with neckthru, and you have yourself a guitar that could be made in the $700-1000 range that would turn all 7 players heads regardless what company they play now)
post #43 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 03:37 AM

...or maybe Tak may tell us why Ibanez doesn't use maple for boards, like he did for the ebony discussion, so we can finally set our hearts in peace and stop bothering (yet suffer within).
post #44 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCormier View Post
I think the main thing missing from Ibanez's 7 string department is lack of neckthru.. This would be the main competitive edge against other 7 string companies such as Schecter and Agile and Carvin, which the only reason they win out over Ibanez is because they are neckthru. If Ibanez released a RGT, Even if it was a RG7321 but neckthru, That would definately interest alot more people. I think at least one affordable non J-Custom RGT7 would do wonders for Ibanez.. I propose you just turn the RG7321 into one, and everyone would be happy.
Of course there's just as many of us who believe that a bolt on is superior to a neck through. Espcially in terms of presence and attack, both of which are critical to downtuned playing.

Ibanez offers this and thus retains its position as the alternative to the stodgy, muddy neckthrough sounds offered by some other brands !!!
post #45 of 106 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 08:43 AM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drow Swordsman View Post
When in 2004 I believe reading that the Jem 7VWH was promised to have a "dark breed" of rosewood that is carefully selected. The brand new 07 7VWH at a GC I popped into was as bright as day, as well as most other Ibanez rosewood's. I even remember Jim when building the VRMR saying he and Rich went through multiple BRMR's to find one that had a dark enough grain, something that most hoped for from the get go. Go check out that new 77VBK that was posted in the Jem/UV section. If the ebony QC has gone down, and rosewood QC has gone down, and they are using questionable rosewood and no ebony at all...why is the decision made to cut one out and not both?

Not that I dislike rosewood fretboards but that just never added up for me...the rosewood on my $150 allparts neck I bought for my project guitar has a much darker rosewood than most Ibanez rosewood guitars I've played, whether new, used, setup, or not setup. This says something, maybe? I could be totally off but I just wanted to voice my concern.
That rosewood is simply dry. I have seen many guitars, not just Ibanez, that have fretboards as dry as a desert! A JEM should never come like this from new, in fact no guitar should. The solution is Fret Doctor. It doesn't "darken" the rosewood, but rather it restores the natural colour. Eventually any rosewood board will dry up and turn a lighter shade if not kept in the right conditions and oiled occasionally. Forget lemon oil, though, Fret Doctor, or at least good quality bore oil is where it's at.

Read it: http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm

Before:

After:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Of course there's just as many of us who believe that a bolt on is superior to a neck through. Espcially in terms of presence and attack, both of which are critical to downtuned playing.

Ibanez offers this and thus retains its position as the alternative to the stodgy, muddy neckthrough sounds offered by some other brands !!!
I'm with you all the way, Jono. Bolt-on sounds better to me. In my 27+ years of playing I have notice no significant increase in sustain using a neck-thru, and in fact, no bolt-on neck guitar has ever sustained a note for less than I needed it to anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhVWJgIzftE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaVo View Post
but how about a classic maple wood top or something futuristic, put some LEDs into the guitar

Last edited by Dee; 05-28-2007 at 08:56 AM.

Tags
body shape , clear coat , custom exotic wood , custom ibanez , custom shop , ebony fretboard , epiphone les paul , fixed bridge , flamed maple , fret board , guitar players , guitar shop , hoshino gakki , hoshino usa , ibanez guitars , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , jem bfp , john petrucci , jpm neck , les paul , lower strings , maple fingerboard , maple fingerboards , maple fret , maple fret board , maple fretboard , maple neck , neck joint , neck plate , neck thru , output pickup , parker guitars , paul gilbert , prestige necks , pyramid inlay , pyramid inlays , rosewood board , rosewood fingerboard , rosewood fretboard , rosewood fretboards , shred machine , signature guitar , steve vai , string bass , string guitars , trem guitar , usa custom exotic wood

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

Boca Raton Zebrano

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode