Mr. Hosono......... - Page 7 - Jemsite
Comments to Ibanez Here is your chance to post your comments to Ibanez. Officially this topic is NOT endorsed, approved or monitored by Ibanez/Hoshino. That said, voice your opinion anyway. Please be courteous.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 106 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 08:41 PM
Ibanez V.I.P.

Re: Mr. Hosono.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Of course there's just as many of us who believe that a bolt on is superior to a neck through. Espcially in terms of presence and attack, both of which are critical to downtuned playing.
Paul Gilbert told me the same kind things recently. How about 7 string bolt on neck guitar with thick JS style neck plate?

Last edited by jono; 07-20-2007 at 06:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 106 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak Hosono View Post
Dear Nuno, how are you?
i'm fine Tak, thank you! still hoping for you to change your mind about "that" thing...

Quote:
I think that most of guitar players prefer unfinished maple fingerboard right? They get very dirty quickly if left unfinished.
that's right, and of course we see the argument in a selling point of view. but you're referring to the shops selling used guitars, right? is used market any important to Ibanez? also, what about "thin finished" maple boards, like Ibanez did on some Prestige RGs some years ago (can't remember the exact models)? they were finished with a thin clear coat, so to avoid any "thick fake plastic" feel like on Mex Fenders, yet keep it from getting dirty. but of course you guys at Ibanez discussed about this already...

but anyway, if that's the reason about the lack of maple boards, fine, (we suffer but) we accept it and stop whining about it. thanks zillions Tak!
post #93 of 106 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuno View Post
but anyway, if that's the reason about the lack of maple boards, fine, (we suffer but) we accept it and stop whining about it. thanks zillions Tak!
But why doesn't that stop Fender? The USA Strats and Teles have the kind of maple fretboards we're talking about, right?
post #94 of 106 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 05:50 AM
Dee

Quote:
Paul Gilbert told me the same kind things recently. How about 7 string bolt on neck guitar with thick JS style neck plate?

I'm with Jono and Paul on this one too. Bolt-on has always been my preference, I love the percussive attack from a bolt-on maple neck!

Oh man... 6,000 posts...
post #95 of 106 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
I'm with Jono and Paul on this one too. Bolt-on has always been my preference, I love the percussive attack from a bolt-on maple neck!
i'm on this too. i had proofs that the square joint makes the guitar sound so dynamic and gives that "explosive" kind of attack. i didn't believe before i tried myself... wow
post #96 of 106 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 09:42 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Tak, thanks for the info.... i'd like to repeat the obvious... if Ibanez is concerned about "dirty maple boards" in showrooms they'd just need to lightly spray the board to protect initially as mentioned above. If they're concerned about customer complaints "my fretboard is dirty & ruined" i think that is pandering to the clueless and ignoring musicians & real players. Just keep unfinished maple off the cheapie axes.

I must honestly say both these fears don't sit well as a justifiable reason to abandon maple boards. Couple this with the fact maple is a great wood overall for boards in abundant supply it is quite perplexing... glen
post #97 of 106 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 09:51 AM

Great points and well said Glen.

As far as the neck thru and bolt on discussion goes: the neck-thru RGT3020 I just got has a thicker Ultra neck and I believe this is a big reason why it has better sustain and more stability than a Wizard profile neck thru guitar would.

I read EJ talking about bolt ons and he prefers them due to the balance and variety of overtones he can get from different pieces of wood bolted together. I have no preference either way as both have their place.
post #98 of 106 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 10:44 AM

Yes! more bolt on ultra necks on more axes!
ultra neck is great! i don't think that would be impossible since the neck is in production.
and you really should use ULTRA neck on RGA since it's a more straightforward guitar rather than a shred machine
post #99 of 106 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 12:21 AM
Ibanez V.I.P.

The "dirty fingerboard" issue is NOT the only reason that Ibanez does not offer many maple fingerboard guitars. Actually, maple fingerboards are very manufacturing friendly and also very stable too. Hoshino USA does extensive market research from many different sources before making any guitar production decisions. You may not agree with our maple fingerboard option availability on our guitars but this is very much the result from our market research conclusions. I'm in very much agreement with most of Jem site guys regarding this issue but I'm ONLY represent our endorsees, Custom shop, and Jem site guys. I spent past 5 years tried to put RG8 in our productions and finally happened. RG8 is one of the most amazing guitar I ever made in my 30 years of guitar making but Hoshino Gakki was very skeptical about RG8 and kept holding the guitar until now. I don't blame them though, the RG8 market is very much unknown and different from the RG7 market. Well, let's keep on trying to push for more maple fingerboard.
post #100 of 106 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 03:58 AM

probably someone already mentioned this here, but perhaps the toppest prestige models (the ones (and alikes) that were prestige before every japan made guitar was popped a prestige sticker) could have ebony instead of rosewood?
and please tell me, about that i'm really curious, why were the offset dots cancelled? that was the most beautiful thing on prestige necks
post #101 of 106 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 05:51 PM
Eco

Quote:
How about 7 string bolt on neck guitar with thick JS style neck plate?
I have a JS at home and i quite like the neck joint on it.

Plus i think the plate on the neck gives it an added touch thats lacking on the ones without.

Im actually looking for a nice 7620, but i'd hold out a bit if something like that was in the works
post #102 of 106 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 03:15 AM

Quote:
You may not agree with our maple fingerboard option availability on our guitars but this is very much the result from our market research conclusions.
gosh... this meaning that no one likes maple boards, according to the fact that there aren't maple-boarded models in this year catalogue (except the RG550XX which is a reissue and the RG350DX which is a lower-end model). shame.

Quote:
I spent past 5 years tried to put RG8 in our productions and finally happened. RG8 is one of the most amazing guitar I ever made in my 30 years of guitar making
i think that even those who don't like the 8-string should thank you for having Ibanez once again pushing the market boundaries, pretty much like the golden era. once more time, Ibanez is the first company doing what others don't dare. THANKS TAK!!!

Quote:
Well, let's keep on trying to push for more maple fingerboard.
Y E A H ! ! !
post #103 of 106 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
well I tend to use a JS-6 for downtuned tunes so I think that would work great

The JS-6 has enough meat from the mahogany to hold the lower notes and the lower output pickups stop it getting too muddy. The maple bolt on neck adds the snap to make the notes sound clear
post #104 of 106 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 12:25 AM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
What would you like to see from our company?
Tak, this is coming from a guy who plays just 7's.
Im concerned with the fate of the UV..... has it seen the end of its days?
This is what would be awesome.

-Maple fretboard with black binding
-Quilted top with black body binding
-Matching headstock with black binding
-Clear pickguard
-Pyramid inlays in dark colours
-Black Hardware and accessories

I know people would be asking for all sorts of variations, but something along these lines would be completely different from what is available to us, and be instantly recognisable!!
Thanks for your time
post #105 of 106 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 08:57 PM
Ibanez V.I.P.

Thumbs up Re: Mr. Hosono.........

Sounds like a very cool guitar but you are talking about "UV" right?
That's all up to Mr.Vai however.

Tags
body shape , clear coat , custom exotic wood , custom ibanez , custom shop , ebony fretboard , epiphone les paul , fixed bridge , flamed maple , fret board , guitar players , guitar shop , hoshino gakki , hoshino usa , ibanez guitars , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , jem bfp , john petrucci , jpm neck , les paul , lower strings , maple fingerboard , maple fingerboards , maple fret , maple fret board , maple fretboard , maple neck , neck joint , neck plate , neck thru , output pickup , parker guitars , paul gilbert , prestige necks , pyramid inlay , pyramid inlays , rosewood board , rosewood fingerboard , rosewood fretboard , rosewood fretboards , shred machine , signature guitar , steve vai , string bass , string guitars , trem guitar , usa custom exotic wood

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

Boca Raton Zebrano

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode