No Custom orders again! Time to replace CEO - Page 2 - Jemsite
Comments to Ibanez Here is your chance to post your comments to Ibanez. Officially this topic is NOT endorsed, approved or monitored by Ibanez/Hoshino. That said, voice your opinion anyway. Please be courteous.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 03:21 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: No Custom orders again! Time to replace CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
Demand would far outweigh supply and, like I said, these would not be affordable guitars. Hiring another luthier would not be a problem. I'm not sure if the customer should be allowed to choose the luthier who builds their guitar because that could cause problems. Ibanez could make custom guitar available to the high paying public, but they have decided not to for one reason or another. I'm just curious what that reason might be....I doubt the reason is "we can not afford one more luthier."
Maybe hiring a sufficiently skilled luthier would be a problem? Most of the really talented guys seem to want to work for themselves and so getting top quality guys for top quality guitars might be a bigger problem than we realise. That might be why the limited runs are, at the moment, ghost built by Sugi.
jono is online  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 03:54 AM

How about what Jackson did and had an internet based design program where people could mix bodies/necks/fingerboard/pickups/bridges and order it then collect it from their local dealer?

Might be an interesting way of seeing what the public actually expect Ibanez to provide them?
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 08:26 AM

What would also be REALLY cool is if Ibanez sold its bodies and necks online, the same way Fender does. You can part-together a new Fender from genuine, new Fender parts. Pretty cool.

Hell, I'm usually parting-together Ibby's anyway... a body from ebay... a neck from Craigslist... trem from Rich... etc. My #1 RG1527 was parted together this way. Would be cool if Ibanez sold their various body shapes in various woods, colors, etc. Same for necks.

In fact, that would totally kick ass (for someone like me, anyway).

As a side note, as I'm browsing other guitar manufacturers websites, it seems like MOST have some sort of custom shop, or semi-custom shop. So, if they're all able to make it work (financially & logistically), I'm still holding out hope that Ibanez will one day follow suit.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Maybe hiring a sufficiently skilled luthier would be a problem? Most of the really talented guys seem to want to work for themselves and so getting top quality guys for top quality guitars might be a bigger problem than we realise. That might be why the limited runs are, at the moment, ghost built by Sugi.
Hire more ghosts?

To be honest, I'm not sure. What I do know is an independent luthier, no matter how talented, will never have access to the same level of resources as Ibanez. If Ibanez had to outsource custom guitars to independent luthiers, providing positive incentives that grow the luthiers business would be tempting. Money helps too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarAkuma View Post
How about what Jackson did and had an internet based design program where people could mix bodies/necks/fingerboard/pickups/bridges and order it then collect it from their local dealer?

Might be an interesting way of seeing what the public actually expect Ibanez to provide them?
1. Internet? Who needs the internet?........(Well, I suppose I do in order to show you the Ibanez catalog from 1991, courtesy of ibanezrules.com and Rich's easy to navigate library of catalogs.) http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/us/1991/index.htm

2. The public expects Ibanez to provide them with something to complain about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaestro View Post
What would also be REALLY cool is if Ibanez sold its bodies and necks online, the same way Fender does. You can part-together a new Fender from genuine, new Fender parts. Pretty cool.

Hell, I'm usually parting-together Ibby's anyway... a body from ebay... a neck from Craigslist... trem from Rich... etc. My #1 RG1527 was parted together this way. Would be cool if Ibanez sold their various body shapes in various woods, colors, etc. Same for necks.

In fact, that would totally kick ass (for someone like me, anyway).

As a side note, as I'm browsing other guitar manufacturers websites, it seems like MOST have some sort of custom shop, or semi-custom shop. So, if they're all able to make it work (financially & logistically), I'm still holding out hope that Ibanez will one day follow suit.
Maybe we should just ask for what Ibanez was doing 25 years ago....

It seems like the Ibanez U.S.A Custom Series meets many of the criteria people are asking for. How successful was that particular line of guitars? Do you think it could be successful in now? Personal experience and insight into the matter would be more valuable than speculation from "arm chair CEO's. (I include myself in this group.)"
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
It seems like the Ibanez U.S.A Custom Series meets many of the criteria people are asking for. How successful was that particular line of guitars? Do you think it could be successful in now? Personal experience and insight into the matter would be more valuable than speculation from "arm chair CEO's. (I include myself in this group.)"
Not terribly, seeing as they were only in production for a couple years.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 04:18 PM

Reviews: 21

Fire the CEO?!?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKfceBq-j9Y

Seriously, I can see why they don't if they're doing just fine without one.
And AFAIK they don't really come down hard on third party custom shops. Why take on that risk and hassle if others can do it for less?
mike570 is online  
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 10:24 AM

they could be concerned people will have guitars made with things they want to mass introduce, so want to ensure a "closed market" for innovation?
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 04:23 PM

I think its as simple as too much work for too little profit.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 06:08 PM

We asked Ibanez why they don't do CS in our interview with them here:
http://www.wiredguitarist.com/2016/0...nez-interview/
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 03:20 AM

Nice interview! I actually changed my mind about most of things I said in that thread well before the interview. I do not think Ibanez should open the LACS to the public because then they would have to deal with the public, in this case guitarists , and sometimes no amount of money is worth that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode