OFFICIAL IBANEZ 8 STRING GUITAR R&D TEAM - Page 2 - Jemsite
Comments to Ibanez Here is your chance to post your comments to Ibanez. Officially this topic is NOT endorsed, approved or monitored by Ibanez/Hoshino. That said, voice your opinion anyway. Please be courteous.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 11:38 AM

Re: OFFICIAL IBANEZ 8 STRING GUITAR R&D TEAM

You might not be the right guy to ask, but does ibanez have any plans to make an 8 string RG or artist model with a tremolo? I think a lo pro 8 would be pretty kickass!

I think schecter had a tremolo 8 string model, I played it and the flutters on the lower strings were so cool!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Ibanez V.I.P.

I made some custom black Lopro 8 for Fredrik long time ago in the custom shop. We do all kind of 8 string tremolo experiments. He asked me to make another one last week and I told him that I really don't wanted to do it again (it was pain in the a%%).
I installed some proto type 8 string tremolo on Tony's (MacAlpine) RG8s.

Last edited by Tak Hosono; 04-18-2014 at 10:12 AM.
post #18 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 07:05 PM

http://avhguitarrepair.com/the-meshu...tring-guitars/
post #19 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 05:50 PM

Do you guys plan to do any non-RG/S production 8 strings?
post #20 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Ibanez V.I.P.

Talking Re: OFFICIAL IBANEZ 8 STRING GUITAR R&D TEAM

Yes, we are working on several different models at the custom shop.
What would you like to see from our production line?
May be you can join our 8 string guitar R&D team too.
post #21 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 11:11 AM

Location: I reside on a peaceful patch of land in rural Pennsylvania

Tak,

I think everything you guys are doing with the 8 strings so far has been perfect, just a steady progression onwards and upwards. However, if I may implement some suggestions just as a long time Ibanez Fan, and player. First off, I think the RG is THE most balanced guitar model ever created, thus I feel that the RG makes the perfect coupling for the 8 string application. The only suggestion I have that could make an 8 string production RG even better would be to have the body SLIGHTLY slimer, such as the TAM100. And also implement the lower horn scoop. I feel that with the RG's inherent balance and beauty, with the addition of those two features, would make for the perfect formula for a production 8 string.

Also another important topic would be the Scale Length. The M8M model literally sounds HUGE with the 29.4" scale. And it really doesn't hinder playing lead's at all for guys like me with gigantic hands. However the 27" scale truly does seem to be the best of both worlds. Being Baritone yet accessible to all crowds, and still retaining clarity on the lower registers. I think a variety of scale length options could be beneficial, but also more complicated to put into production and kept in an affordable price bracket.

On the topic of finishes, again the M8M epitomizes the ideal finish for a guitar such as an 8 string; raw, natural, Nordic, and just plain comfortable. I do know that while gloss black/white is always a safer bet to put into production, there is a sense of staleness within those options. Ibanez for me have always pushed boundaries and limitations, and I don't feel you as a company should limit yourselves to such common finish options. Most player today that progress into extended range guitars have been playing for sometime and have developed a sense of personality with their expression. And I can speak from experience that they would like to convey that personality through their instruments as well. Also, very popular today are natural finishes, stain finishes, and oil finishes. I think people like the stripped down nature of such things so that the player can fill the void and implement their own character to what is missing with a flashy glossy finish. And again, if you look through the popular offerings of the 8 string market today you will see that nearly all are white/black or red. This should leave a huge opening for Ibanez to burst forth with unique and personal finish options! We all know Ibanez isn't afraid of unleashing mass terror on the retinas of the public, so I think you should have no fear on doing so in the 8 string market as well. I know the idea of an 8 string electric guitar is still somewhat "new" to the modern music world, but I think you have much evidence proving that it's a trend to stay. And I think that ibanez could really capitalize on what other manufacturers are missing out on right now.

Teaming up with Fredrik couldn't have been a better choice, not just because he is one of the brightest and most developed Guitarist in our generation, but also because he KNOWS tone. Not just "Metal", he knows what sounds good and what doesn't. He is a true artist and I think he alone is the greatest asset to Ibanez's journey into furthering the 8 string line.

I look forward to seeing and hearing more updates from you guys, and I truly can't wait to see the fruits of your labour. I know Ibanez won't fail their customers, you have never before.

Thank you!

Will
post #22 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Ibanez V.I.P.

Dear Will, thank you very much for your reply. All the great ideas / input I get from this JEM site are so precious to me. You got everything exactly right, "kept (guitars) in an affordable price bracket". That's it! Just like the Ford Model T, AFFORDABLE is the key. I'm not a big fan of very expensive exotic custom guitars.
Working with Fredrik is like working with space alien (just like his songs) sometime drive you absolutory nuts with weird ideas and make you do things you don't wanted to do. He also will give you some small metallic implant. Fredrik also following this thread so he will read your reply for sure. Don't give him too much credit, he will send you one of his triangle shaped UFO.

Last edited by Tak Hosono; 04-28-2014 at 01:51 PM.
post #23 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 06:35 AM

I recently put some Seymour Duncan pickups (Sentient neck and Pegasus bridge) in my Iron Label 8-string RG and wired it up with a 5-way switch for single coil options. To me this really makes the 8-string come alive, and I've used it to make convincing P-Bass-like tones by dropping the low string down to E and using one of the pickups as a single coil. I'd like to see 8-strings that take advantage of the more organic, earthy tones that an 8-string is capable of. I love metal but so far it seems like almost everything 8-string is geared at the metal/djent audience and high-gain tones, whereas I'm using it to make things like this (as well as my progressive metal stuff): http://peterhodgson.bandcamp.com/track/blue-shadow-glow

The Tosin models are great at allowing those more organic tones too, although the styling doesn't work for me personally but of course it's Tosin's axe and on him it looks great.

Something like an 8-string reminiscent of the old JS-6 or the SZ series would be a nice move in this direction.
post #24 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Ibanez V.I.P.

Thank you very much Peter, you got some real nice guitars! JS is Joe's signature model so it is little diffrent though.
post #25 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 08:13 AM

I'm kind of scared to buy an 8 string. I think I'll buy a 7, then work my way up. My fingers are ahort and the necks are so fat.
post #26 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 09:19 PM

It would make sense to think about doing 8 string versions of the AR, ARZ, Destroyer, RGD, and the Iceman. It would be really nice to have an option beyond the typical 'superstrat' shape.

I also echo Peter's sentiments. I understand the desire to market towards the high-gain metal crowds, but it seems like a very huge missed opportunity to not make a more neutral/organic instrument that can be aimed towards the jazz, rock, blues, and even classical players.
post #27 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwade View Post

I also echo Peter's sentiments. I understand the desire to market towards the high-gain metal crowds, but it seems like a very huge missed opportunity to not make a more neutral/organic instrument that can be aimed towards the jazz, rock, blues, and even classical players.
Yeah, and since Ibanez is such a pioneer in 'extra string' guitars it seems fitting that they should be the company to do that.
post #28 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Ibanez V.I.P.

We do have ARZ8 and Classic 8 string guitars already though, they are very nicely made guitars too. The Destroyer is very big guitar so that if we do 8 string version, it's may be a bit too much to handle? Iceman 8 is kind of cool guitar.
post #29 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 07:00 PM

Oh weird, I've never seen the ARZ as an 8 string, only the 7. That's interesting!
post #30 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Ibanez V.I.P.

Working on a new guitar for my boss. Stoneman Korina 6 strings.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode