Petition to open a Semi-Custom Shop based upon J.Custom. - Page 2 - Jemsite
Comments to Ibanez Here is your chance to post your comments to Ibanez. Officially this topic is NOT endorsed, approved or monitored by Ibanez/Hoshino. That said, voice your opinion anyway. Please be courteous.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 09:42 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: Petition to open a Semi-Custom Shop based upon J.Custom.

Hmmm as it's a semi-custom shop and not full it's basically just variations of the existing models so some compromises must be made. As such here's what I could live, happily, with:

Body type: RG, S.
Number of strings: 6, 7, 8
Body: Mahogany/Maple, Alder. Basswood
Neck mount: Bolt-on, Neck-through.
Neck profile: J.Custom.
Fretboard material: Rosewood, Ebony, Maple.
Fretboard marking: Dots, Offset Dots, Blank. Normal/Colour Matching/Reverse Sharktooth
Fretboard binding: Wood, Plastic, None.
Bridge: Edge Zero.
Pickups: a limited choice of pickups.
Colours: a limited choice of colours. As long as those limited colours include either Neons or Quilted tops I'm good
Headstock: Reverse and colour Matched

Honestly though, I thought those rare super high end Japan J-Customs were pretty awesome. Hell, I thought the normal ones were pretty awesome last year. The vine doesn't bother me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 09:50 AM

glad you add reversed sharktooth !
all I want for my custom is exactly like this :

but with reversed sharktooth.
post #18 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Ok, so everybody's proposing their own options. It's all good.

I'd be happy to have more options myself, such as different neck shapes, e.g. JC asymmetrical analogs of HP Super Wizard (current), HP Wizard, HP Ultra, different scale lengths (27"), body woods and styles (RGA, RGT), bridges, fretboard marking, unlimited choice of pickups and colors.

However, dare I remind you that we don't have ANY single option available at this juncture.

Having taken this into account, I deliberately proposed a very limited choice of options for the following reasons:

1). You can notice that nearly all options proposed in the original post have already been incorporated into J.Custom models at some point in time. Hence it won't be that difficult for Ibanez to do it from a technical standpoint. They have to start somewhere, and they can always add more options as it progresses.

2). Ibanez is more into mass production models these days. More low budget models than any time before. It doesn't seem to be a priority for the current management to invest into a fully custom shop that will most likely take years to pay off.

3). LACS offers fully customizable instruments to artists holding an endorsement with Ibanez. It's a huge attracting factor for the artists. Making every option under the moon available to the public may negatively affect the size of Ibanez's now vast artist roster and therefore diminish total sales rates.

4). Semi-custom instruments will likely take a few months to build, as opposed to years for fully custom instruments. Same goes for the price: allowing for a strictly limited number of options may not increase the price at all as compared to current RG8xxxZ's, or it may even help drop the price without sacrificing quality in the long term if the business model turns out well and currency exchange rate issues are promptly addressed by the management.

As for me personally, I'd gladly order more than one instrument (think RG8xxxZ, RG8xx7Z) if only I could ditch the vine and have wooden (flamed maple or perhaps some other species) binding/no binding option. I'd probably be interested in Ebony fretboard Neck-through's as well, as long as it's not a +JPY250000 option.

Last edited by mrpanoff; 01-21-2012 at 04:53 PM.
post #19 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 02:41 PM

Reviews: 2

You do realise that, that quote is Elcid taking the piss out of people for posting threads like this one all the time.
post #20 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeHappy View Post
You do realise that, that quote is Elcid taking the piss out of people for posting threads like this one all the time.

Oh, now I do, thank you. Didn't pay due attention to the second part.
post #21 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 08:26 PM

Reviews: 11

I'll sign

-Damien E. Marshall

But only to help out you guys. Personally, it means absolutely nothing. I can even afford a regular J.Custom so why would I want them to be even MORE expensive? Now, if they did it with indo stuff, I'd be a happy camper
post #22 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 09:12 PM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.M.RG7620 View Post
I'll sign

-Damien E. Marshall

But only to help out you guys. Personally, it means absolutely nothing. I can't even afford a regular J.Custom so why would I want them to be even MORE expensive? Now, if they did it with indo stuff, I'd be a happy camper
Fix'd, I think.

I'd be for a premium CS as well! :yesway:
post #23 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwd0120 View Post
Fix'd, I think.

I'd be for a premium CS as well! :yesway:
Great Idea! I'm in.
post #24 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanoff View Post

As for me personally, I'd gladly order more than one instrument (think RG8xxxZ, RG8xx7Z) if only I could ditch the vine and have wooden (flamed maple or perhaps some other species) binding/no binding option. I'd probably be interested in Ebony fretboard Neck-through's as well, as long as it's not a +JPY250000 option.
You seem to be admitting that you could never afford a custom shop guitar since it seems most of what you ask for are available here...

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/japan/jcusto...JCRG10-01.html

and it is JPY600000+
post #25 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 05:39 AM

Sign me up if the Edge or Edge Pro are options.
post #26 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 05:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gu1tar View Post
You seem to be admitting that you could never afford a custom shop guitar since it seems most of what you ask for are available here...

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/japan/jcusto...JCRG10-01.html

and it is JPY600000+
You got it wrong, I've never admitted that. I pointed out that if they were to add a neck-through option they'd better not upcharge an additional JPY250000 for it alone.

And the actual sale price for the model you referred to was a little below 500000 w/o the Japanese tax.

BTW, I can not be sure, but it also seems that those JCRG models are made in a different shop than regular RG8***Zs. Perhaps somebody could confirm or disprove that.

Last edited by mrpanoff; 01-22-2012 at 06:07 AM.
post #27 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanoff View Post
You got it wrong, I've never admitted that. I pointed out that if they were to add a neck-through option they'd better not upcharge an additional JPY250000 for it alone.

And the actual sale price for the model you referred to was a little below 500000 w/o the Japanese tax.

BTW, I can not be sure, but it also seems that those JCRG models are made in a different shop than regular RG8***Zs. Perhaps somebody could confirm or disprove that.
In other words, "I want what I want, but not if I have to pay more than I want for it".

and THAT is why the "semi custom shop" is not a viable option
post #28 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 01:32 PM

Wait, so if I order a batch of 6 they'll make me my own J-Custom...?

I agree that this would never work. In fact I would much rather have a limited run (whether it's 6, 12, 24, 100...) than an actual custom guitar built by Ibanez to my specs. I just want them to take some risks, give me something "crazy" to buy. That's why I've been buying the showcase guitars (only new Ibanez's I've bought...). 2010 was a "miss" year for me with the double neck Xiphos and the Darkstone, but I have the S's from '09 and the 30-fretter from '11. Here's to hoping '12 isn't a miss...
post #29 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
In other words, "I want what I want, but not if I have to pay more than I want for it".

and THAT is why the "semi custom shop" is not a viable option

If the price stays at the current RG8xxx level/remains reasonable (there's a chance for you to nag at the word "reasonable", yet it's how the market works), I'll gladly buy more than one instrument, as I've already stated before. And I don't really see why would price be much higher for the same stock instrument MINUS the vine.

However, if there was a hypothetical +JPY250000 neck-through option available to an instrument that is JPY200000 worth itself, I'd think twice. And would much rather buy twice as much bolt-ons. And most people would.

I got you point. Yet Semi- and Full custom shops remain viable and profitable options for the most companies out there.
post #30 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by van01010100 View Post
Wait, so if I order a batch of 6 they'll make me my own J-Custom...?

I agree that this would never work. In fact I would much rather have a limited run (whether it's 6, 12, 24, 100...) than an actual custom guitar built by Ibanez to my specs. I just want them to take some risks, give me something "crazy" to buy. That's why I've been buying the showcase guitars (only new Ibanez's I've bought...). 2010 was a "miss" year for me with the double neck Xiphos and the Darkstone, but I have the S's from '09 and the 30-fretter from '11. Here's to hoping '12 isn't a miss...
1). Yes.

2). Guess you wanted to say it'd not work for YOU.

Tags
custom , j.custom , petition

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode