Petition to open a Semi-Custom Shop based upon J.Custom. - Page 3 - Jemsite
Comments to Ibanez Here is your chance to post your comments to Ibanez. Officially this topic is NOT endorsed, approved or monitored by Ibanez/Hoshino. That said, voice your opinion anyway. Please be courteous.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 01:49 PM

Re: Petition to open a Semi-Custom Shop based upon J.Custom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanoff View Post
1). Yes.

2). Guess you wanted to say it'd not work for YOU.
Actually I wanted to say it would never work in general, and was going to start listing reasons, but then I got sidetracked and elaborated on why it would never work for me, sorry about that.

And since I don't care to get involved in a back and forth argument, I'll just stick with it would never work for ME.

Last edited by van01010100; 01-22-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Guys, does anyone know if those JCRG models

http://www.digimart.net/guitar/inst_..._id=DS01484112

are from a different shop? Perhaps they require more hand work or something because they cost 90% more than regular J.Custom models. They have different neck construction (three piece in the case of JCRG11R) and probably (I vaguely recall reading somewhere) different letters in serial numbers.

Regular J.Custom models have "F", that is Fujigen.

Edit: found it, they start with an "H":
http://www.digimart.net/guitar/inst_..._id=DS01483619

Last edited by mrpanoff; 01-22-2012 at 02:20 PM.
post #33 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
In other words, "I want what I want, but not if I have to pay more than I want for it".

and THAT is why the "semi custom shop" is not a viable option
Exactly this. The whiners about no custom shop never understand the basics of marketing.
post #34 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
You got it wrong, I've never admitted that. I pointed out that if they were to add a neck-through option they'd better not upcharge an additional JPY250000 for it alone.

And the actual sale price for the model you referred to was a little below 500000 w/o the Japanese tax.

BTW, I can not be sure, but it also seems that those JCRG models are made in a different shop than regular RG8***Zs. Perhaps somebody could confirm or disprove that.
The RG8***Zs show 300,000+ and are not neck-thru, the one I sent you the link for have neck-thru and are 600,000+, so they clearly *are* charging 250,000 more for it. They are a business, they charge what they like, and people buy them for these prices.

So I'll ask you again: the link I sent you seems to be what you are asking for, have you bought one yet?
post #35 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 07:48 PM

Reviews: 25

Why limit colors to certain models. Just make it available on all models and problem solved...
post #36 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 05:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gu1tar View Post
The RG8***Zs show 300,000+ and are not neck-thru, the one I sent you the link for have neck-thru and are 600,000+, so they clearly *are* charging 250,000 more for it. They are a business, they charge what they like, and people buy them for these prices.

So I'll ask you again: the link I sent you seems to be what you are asking for, have you bought one yet?

The price on the Ibanez site does not equal the actual sale price. I have some experience with Japanese dealers.

No it's not up to my exact specs.

It turns out, the difference between F and H J.customs affects price, not the neck-through option.

By the way, I referred to F (Fujigen) J.Customs in my initial post.

Last edited by mrpanoff; 01-23-2012 at 05:39 AM.
post #37 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 05:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gu1tar View Post
Exactly this. The whiners about no custom shop never understand the basics of marketing.
Not only do many folk understand, but are willing to pay even if the situation's a bit out of touch with the basic economic principles (price higher than expected due to yen being insanely high) because they are obsessed with Ibanez.

Allowing for optional fingerboard materials/marking/binding, neck mount and a couple of other options I've listed before will increase the demand exponentially.

Last edited by mrpanoff; 01-23-2012 at 05:34 AM.
post #38 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 06:27 AM

Quote:
The price on the Ibanez site does not equal the actual sale price. I have some experience with Japanese dealers.

No it's not up to my exact specs.

It turns out, the difference between F and H J.customs affects price, not the neck-through option.

By the way, I referred to F (Fujigen) J.Customs in my initial post.
So what is the "H"? I'm guessing it might mean Hoshino and still be made in Fujigen but just be a more "dear" model? Rich might know.
post #39 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Not only do many folk understand, but are willing to pay even if the situation's a bit out of touch with the basic economic principles (price higher than expected due to yen being insanely high) because they are obsessed with Ibanez.

Allowing for optional fingerboard materials/marking/binding, neck mount and a couple of other options I've listed before will increase the demand exponentially.
Now you are speaking for how much others are willing to pay? That's patently absurd.

Nor can you possibly claim or believe that these options will "increase the demand exponentially". Your comment hinges on the premise that you originated this idea and Ibanez never considered it, but I assure you that they have done their calculations based on real market factors and know differently. Or do you really believe you know more about the guitar marketplace than they do?

Much more realistically, since the Ibanez product line doesn't include a lot of expensive guitars, it is that much more unlikely that there would be many Ibby customers who would buy a custom shop Ibby to begin with at likely $5,000+ (US). Gibson and Fender and some others can charge that or more and pretty well maintain their resale, but Ibby just doesn't. And if you or those wanting some custom aspect did some looking, you'd find some other builders who can give you what you want, but it won't say Ibanez on the headstock.

I agree with you in liking to see more options from Ibanez, or even some form of "custom" shop, but I don't believe it will ever happen for the reason I stated above.
post #40 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 11:19 PM

do it
post #41 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Last but not least, taking prepayments for orders must help the workflow and prevent the situation when instruments/parts stay at the shop for indefinitely long.
post #42 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 02:18 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Guys, does anyone know if those JCRG models

http://www.digimart.net/guitar/inst_..._id=DS01484112

are from a different shop? Perhaps they require more hand work or something because they cost 90% more than regular J.Custom models. They have different neck construction (three piece in the case of JCRG11R) and probably (I vaguely recall reading somewhere) different letters in serial numbers.

Regular J.Custom models have "F", that is Fujigen.

Edit: found it, they start with an "H":
http://www.digimart.net/guitar/inst_..._id=DS01483619

IIRC, the "H" guitars (and many others) are produced by Sugi guitars. Each is hand made, hence the higher pricing. I know they are also responsible for building the UVMC re-issues and the new Jem "Evo" replicas.
post #43 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 05:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
IIRC, the "H" guitars (and many others) are produced by Sugi guitars. Each is hand made, hence the higher pricing. I know they are also responsible for building the UVMC re-issues and the new Jem "Evo" replicas.
Thanks for your info.

To me, however, true Ibanez is Fujigen.
post #44 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 10:24 PM

Reviews: 1

Actually Suji guitars are regarded as the better Guitar. They do limited runs and are suposedly of better quality than the Fuijen guitars.
post #45 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 11:39 PM

Sugi is the buisness of an ex Fujigen j custom luthier who branched out on his own and still does a bunch of limited runs for Ibanez.
Fujigen DNA is a part Sugi and never should you think your not getting every bit pure Ibanez JC....you are...just even more limited and babied.

Tags
custom , j.custom , petition

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode