Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Premium Neck Profile

10K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  knalle 
#1 ·
I picked up my new Premium 2 days ago. It is a fine guitar in every way except the neck profile. The extreme D shape creates pressure points on my thumb that are so bad that my new Premium is on ebay right now. I want so bad to find a reason to get around this but 2 seconds back on my Prestige reminded me why I fell in love with the RG to begin with. With this being a non-MIJ model at the price point it's offered, it would seem wize to not break out of the box in terms of familiar RG playability right out of the gate. Just my 2 cents.

#5 ·
There are other reasons to step up like a real EZ, the better knobs, the hard case, MIJ namesake, and that's just $100 more for the lowest end Prestige. Come on, when you advertise Prestige specs, don't deliver an uncomfortable neck that only shares the headstock shape with a Prestige.

#10 ·
Thats funny. I dont ever remember seeing Rich or Ibanez advertising these premiums with "prestige wizard necks"... Pretty sure they are "premium wizard necks". Your fault for not trying before buying AFAIC.

You cant bash a guitar because you dont like the feel of the neck. Thats one of the most subjective things, ever.

#6 ·
I did say "one" on the reasons.

It is advertised as Premium specs, and while the neck may be uncomfortable to you it's perfectly fine for me, and most others. Just as Wiz2 necks were fine to the masses.

The "real" EZ is a non issue to me, the heart of the trem is there with the 2.

#7 ·
Let me back up. I should have waited to try one when the store had one in stock, but we live in a world of internet sales and there was no indication that the neck was a new profile. I took a $800 chance on a new factory based on the word of Ibanez and results were a bit of a let down. Not trying to be a jerk, just stating an opinion about this guitar that I'm sure will be shared by many. I could be wrong.

#9 ·
I just can't believe the Premium bashing you've been dishing out in two different threads just because it's uncomfortable to you, lack of hardcase, etc. All of the specs and accessories are posted on the Ibanez Premium page, Rich's site, and every online store that sells them. I like the different feel of the neck compared to my MIJ RGs--gives me versatility. If it's not for you, that's your decision--but constant bashing of it just shows a very 2-dimensional attitude towards guitars. Sell it and go get something you like. I just hate to see the negative vibe scare potential buyers off just because you didn't like it.

#11 · (Edited)
I just hate to see the negative vibe scare potential buyers off just because you didn't like it.
I'm giving a review based on my experience because that's all I can do. I did a LOT of research and wish I had this information at the time. This is where people find reviews like this so they can make an informed descision on how to spend their hard earned money. Maybe my review gets them to spend that extra $$ on the Prestige or maybe they think I'm a wanker, buy the Premium, and love it.
My experience has been, after trying dozens of other guitars, I landed on the RG because the neck was so comfortable (among other things). So I started to collect different ones for differend tunings and such. This just threw me off. You are right that I should have tried one but seeing as how I live in BFE and they are on backorder I took a chance based on my experience with every other RG I've played. I have no doubt there are many more like me.

I gave it praises where I thought it deserved. I still think the neck is Prestige build quality and it's a freakin' beautiful guitar. I don't remember getting bashed last time I left an honest review or gave a suggestion because the site was afraid of scaring off customers. I thought this was a forum anyway.:confused:

#12 ·
For what it's worth, I feel the same way. I posted in this thread:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f16/ibanez-920qm-premium-109845-7.html

"I tried out a Premium recently and the neck profile was the biggest disappointment for me. . . ."

I realize it's completely subjective, but I noticed the difference too. This was a first impression . . . I still haven't gone back to examine the neck really closely.

Peace

Mike

#14 ·
I was finally able to try one at my "Local" Sam Ash; it was still an hour drive LOL. Anyway, it was beautiful, but I didn't like the neck profile either. I knew it would be different, but I wanted to be sure I tried it before buying. I am pretty stuck on the Wizard Prestige or original Wizard necks. Anything else just doesn't feel right to me. That said, I am sure there are tons of people that will like it just fine. Now, if we can get a prestige with quilt tops :)

#18 ·
we're not bashing you man, just saying you shouldnt be so carte blanche about "This is a crap guitar because the neck profile sucks".

Thats just not fair. You are now saying "The neck is prestige quality, I just didnt like it" and compare your subjective opinion of what you DO like vs it is a good way to review. I.e. "Im a huge fan of prestige wizard and ultra necks, but I was not a fan of this premium neck" that gets your opinion, lets people compare (if they are prestige nuts they may very well not enjoy it) their own opinions.

Just my 2cents, no concern really.

#19 ·
I never called the guitar crap. Like I said, I wish the profile was wizard because the guitar is top notch. All I was saying was, for people like me that don't have these within a reasonable driving distance, this could have been better articulated. And I'm not mad, just disappointed. I'll just leave it at that. I'll probably buy my next guitar from someone like Rich that could verify these types of things.

#20 ·
Can't go wrong there!! You will get a great setup and a like a guitar that been looked over with a fine toothed comb. Not to mention if were a quilt top that would be like 1st rate as well. More people should buy from Rich a low price isnt the be all and end all not that he is expensive. Everyone should buy atleast one guitar from Rich Ibanez Rules

#25 ·
I don't own one, but the few I've played didn't seem that terribly different to me than the current Prestige Wizard necks.

The neck on my RG1550 is thicker and wider than the necks on my older RGs, and either I just wasn't paying attention; or the Premiums I've picked up actually didn't have a radical departure from the profile on my 1550.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.