A Prestige 7 String RGA - Page 4 - Jemsite
Comments to Ibanez Here is your chance to post your comments to Ibanez. Officially this topic is NOT endorsed, approved or monitored by Ibanez/Hoshino. That said, voice your opinion anyway. Please be courteous.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 06:46 AM

Re: A Prestige 7 String RGA

I would buy this for sure:

RGA 7 Basswood body
Flame Maple top
Bolt on neck (Easier to make general cleaning/repairs)
Edge Zero 7 (Or whatever Floyd type you have for 7 string)
Humbucker on bridge and neck, no need for single coils.

In fact, if a 6-string and a 7-string were to be released of this, I'd be screwed Please, a cool color though, emerald transparent green burst for instance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 08:32 AM
Eco

Hey Tak i've actually been looking at a custom RGA7 with these specs.

Bolt on 24 fret neck with matched headstock and small offset dots, either rosewood or ebony fingerboard.

Flamed Maple top, trans red. Actually the Identical colour as Buzz' which he posted in this thread earlier.

Edge Pro 7 Bridge

Chrome Hardware

Dimarzio D-sonic 7 bridge and Paf 7 neck.

Regular RG control layout.

That would be my ideal guitar right there.
post #48 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 08:46 AM

Same as the six string, mahogany / maple, two humbuckers with a 5 way, 24 frets bolt on, try and come up with something like a 7 string Ultra profile (something a lil more chunky), fixed bridge and cheap pickups...

Keep it japanese, cheap, and "easy to upgrade"...
post #49 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 08:50 AM

Reviews: 1

I've been wanting an excuse to jump on an RGA, this would do it.
Figured top with red, green, blue, and natural tints. (non veneer, a real 1/4" or more hunk of wood)
Natural binding.
What are the odds on getting specific Dimarzio Pups installed from the factory?
IMO, Tone Tone 7 and Air Norton 7 would be ideal, but opinions vary.
Simple inlay scheme too, like blank except the 12th fret.
Fretboard wood / color options would be nice too.
Obviously you have to stick to a tighter set of options, but if you don't ask, you'll never find out.
Hard tail.
Thanks for being a liaison for us all, Tak.

Last edited by bammbamm; 01-22-2008 at 02:07 PM. Reason: small addition of a hard tail option
post #50 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak Hosono View Post
Okay, RGA7 indeed.
what would you like to see on this guitar? You want a bolt on guitar or neck through?
How about tremolo or non tremolo? How much price range should be?
Please give us little more specific detailed information.
I can't promise you guys anything yet but I will present "RGA7" idea to the Hoshino Gakki guitar meeting next time.
First off, thank you very much Tak for taking this up on our behalf. It means a lot!

Neck: Bolt on would be fine for me. The UVs, 7620s and 1527s all have great necks so I'd be more than happy with that. The UV777PBK profile would be awesome I would love to see the old school RG7xx fretboard return if possible, with the binding and inlays, but anything would be fine. The old school touch would be great though.

Trem: the new Edge-Zero 7 would be fine by me as well.

Body: I'd really like a maple capped basswood or mahogany body rather than a painted solid basswood body, and in colors other than black. Even just red or blue stain would be great, though a green would be nice too Just not black, and vintage violin can take a rest here as well

Pickups: I honestly don't care, though a single in the middle isn't necessary. I'd rather see cheaper pickups and better color options, honestly. I'll be putting Bartolinis in mine anyway

Price range: If we can get it Japanese and Prestige at the same price as the RG2228 or even a bit lower I think you'd have a winner. Less would be better, but Japanese and Prestige please

Arigato gozaimasu Tak,

jim
post #51 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 03:14 PM

wouldnt adding a tremolo defeat the purpose of what the RGA is right now
post #52 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 03:34 PM

If I were Ibanez, I'd have two series of RGAs: With floyd and without. That body looks way better than the regular RG...for some reason I never really noticed until a few days ago.
post #53 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 07:39 PM

yep, what makes a RGA is the carved top, not the fixed bridge.
For me, a perfect RGA7 would be:

Maple carved top;
natural creme maple binding on body;
Transparent color (blue, vintageviolin or red) everything but NOT BORING BLACK;
bolt on neck with old school UV profile;
24 frets on rosewood, with simple inlays;
binding on the fretboard;
2 humbuckers only; 5 way switch;
FULLBLACK (not Cosmo Faded Black) Edge Pro 7 bridge, or maybe
Edge Zero 7 bridge, including all BLACK hardware, tuners, etc.;
Matching headstock (same color of the body);
Prestige - Made in Japan!!!

Thanx in advance, Tak.
I really apreciate your time reading this thread!!!
We know you can realise our dreams and make'em come true!!!
post #54 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 07:42 PM

Other way to think this:
just make a RG1527 with RGA body, transparent color and please no more Cosmo Black parts.
Did i said i'm tired of faded Cosmo Black hardware?
Black hardware looks NEW for ages!
Thanx again
post #55 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 10:12 PM

Thanks for taking the time to view this Tak.

- Bolt-on.
- Non-trem.
- H-H.
- Inlay on 12th fret only.
- Natural binding.
- Trans color, anything but black, like suggested above.
- Price similar to RG1527.
post #56 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubarão Guitars View Post
yep, what makes a RGA is the carved top, not the fixed bridge.
For me, a perfect RGA7 would be:

Maple carved top;
natural creme maple binding on body;
Transparent color (blue, vintageviolin or red) everything but NOT BORING BLACK;
bolt on neck with old school UV profile;
24 frets on rosewood, with simple inlays;
binding on the fretboard;
2 humbuckers only; 5 way switch;
FULLBLACK (not Cosmo Faded Black) Edge Pro 7 bridge, or maybe
Edge Zero 7 bridge, including all BLACK hardware, tuners, etc.;
Matching headstock (same color of the body);
Prestige - Made in Japan!!!

Thanx in advance, Tak.
I really apreciate your time reading this thread!!!
We know you can realise our dreams and make'em come true!!!
+1 and vintage violin or red over blue any day.
post #57 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Okay, RGA7 indeed.
what would you like to see on this guitar? You want a bolt on guitar or neck through?
I can't promise you guys anything yet but I will present "RGA7" idea to the Hoshino Gakki guitar meeting next time.
Excellent! You are talking to the worlds biggest Ibanez seven string fan over at seven string.org.

I think a huge part of the desire for the RGA7 was brought about because of Buz McGrath's RGA7, so something similar to that. Ideally, something different from everything else that is out just now - so a neck through would be nice, and definitely a transparent stain. Its been almost 4 years since we had a colour other than black or royal blue, so something transparent, harking back to the days of the S7420FM and the RG2027 would be great.

Bridgewise I'd rather not see the Edge Zero - I'd love to see the Lo Pro brought back, or failing that the Edge Pro, but the ZR and Edge Zero's hold little interest for me. :shrug: The Edge FX would be nice, since that isn't currently available in a seven string.

In fact, waht I'd love is the wraparound thats on teh RGA321's just now - we have one in our shop and it feels absolutely fantastic - it'd be nice to see that as a 7 string version.

Would there be any chance of Seymour Duncan Blackout Phase II's in the guitar? Or failing that, some sort of Dimarzio pickups taht aren't the D-Activators. The biggest problem in the world is the V77 and 87's - mud central. And EMG's would be a big turn off - because then you're stuck with EMG's or Seymour Duncan Blackouts, which isn't great if you want something lower output. :shrug:

A reverse headstock would be fantastic too. The XPT-707 has one and looks awesome, and again I feel that mirroring that particularly fine instrument would be a great idea.

Also...an ebony board? Maybe asking a bit much, but we haven't seen one of those in a long time. (Did they die with '04 Jem7VWH having a rosewood board? :scratch but having one on a seven would once again be fantastic.

I'd honestly suggest checking out sevenstring.org - every single "post your dream guitar" comes up with several posts of "Buz McGrath's RGA7" so its obviously something special.

Thanks for the oppurtunity for this - it's been rather eagerly awaited.

NB - I've tried to keep my specs realistic to what would appear to the maximum demographic - maple boards and swirled finishes are nice, but this a case of being practical and making a PRODUCTION instrument, not a custom one to everyone's specs, so LED markers and Lundgren pickups are just ridiculous.
post #58 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 09:10 AM

...like this:

Sans EMG's.

hell, a black Edge Pro 7 would also be very nice!
post #59 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Okay, RGA7 indeed.
Bolt-on or neck-thru would be fine with me.

I prefer a non-tremolo, but i'm sure folks would love both. My current favourite configuration is a floating tremolo bridge with locking tuners instead of a locking nut, and a Tremol-No in the back. (This is how my Music Man JP7 is configured, and i love it.) It gives the option to lock down the bridge for ease of string changing and playing with alternate tunings without having to touch any tools, and can be unlocked to full-floating mode when the need arises.

Price range: Less than $1000 would be nice. But i'm not picky about it being a Prestige instrument. I've played some VERY good Korean- and Chinese-built Ibanez guitars (the Artcores are insane value for the money, and quite impressive guitars in their own right).

Other considerations: It'd be nice to see a couple of different models ranging from the low end to the high end. A bolt-on, fixed-bridge, oiled mahogany model at the low end, to a neck-thru, exotic wood, trem-equipped model at the high end. I think many players are starting to favour minimal inlays (or none at all) on the face of the fretboard. The clean, uncluttered look is really nice, and i think a lot of players are realizing that they use the side dots more.

Oh, and i think on a 7-string RGA, a 4+3 (or 3+4) headstock based on the one used on the new SZR models would look REALLY good.

Thanks, Tak!

darren.
post #60 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 10:26 AM

7 RGA...it awesome!!!

Prestige (MADE IN JAPAN)
Bolt on neck
Maple/Bubinga
Wizard prifile
24 frets
EBONY FRETBOARD!!!!!!
Mahagony with maple top body
trem (lo pro) with PIEZO!!!!!!!!!
Passive pups

Any finish

Thanks

I would pay for that 1500-2000USD

Tags
abalone dots , air norton , alternate tuning , alternate tunings , basswood body , chris broderick , chrome hardware , cosmo black hardware , custom shop , dimarzio ibz , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , dimarzio pups , dot inlay , dot inlays , ebony board , ebony fingerboard , ebony fretboard , edge pro trem , edge trem , edge zero , epiphone les paul , equipped guitar , fixed bridge , flame maple , flamed maple , floating tremolo , fret buzz , fret inlay , fret neck , fretboard wood , guitar tech , hoshino gakki , ibanez guitars , ibanez models , jem custom , jumbo frets , killer guitar , korean guitar , les paul , locking nut , locking tuners , mahogany body , maple binding , maple fingerboard , maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , mij guitars , neck angle , neck binding , neck inlay , neck pickup , neck pockets , neck thru , neck thru body , neil zaza , offset dot inlays , piezo bridge , production model , quilted maple , reverse headstock , reverse headstocks , reversed headstock , rosewood board , rosewood fretboard , rosewood fretboards , seymour duncan , sharkfin inlays , tremolo arm , tremolo bridge , van halen , warped neck , wizard prestige , wizard prestige neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode