A Prestige 7 String RGA - Page 6 - Jemsite
Comments to Ibanez Here is your chance to post your comments to Ibanez. Officially this topic is NOT endorsed, approved or monitored by Ibanez/Hoshino. That said, voice your opinion anyway. Please be courteous.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 03:24 PM

Re: A Prestige 7 String RGA

No neck Binding
Blank fingerboard
Maple fingerboard (I can dream) or Ebony Fingerboard
Hardtail or trem option

I really like Chris Broderick's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 03:42 PM

Thank you very much for bringing forth the Xiphos 7, it really shows us that you care about what we like. Even though you made it a fixed bridge, which i hate haha, you still satisfied soooo many guitarists. Maybe one day you all will equip one with a Trem and then youll have me on board.

ANyways, for a Prestige 7 string RGA that i know is gonna runn us between $1000-$1200, heres what i think would be the best cadidate to satisfy a lot of folks:

* Neckthru 3pc Maple/bubinga stripe with Mahogany wings

* You guys make beautiful Transparent finishes like Vintage Violin (like with the CTs and CST), or Blue burst, or Trans Black Cherry like Buzz's LACS so id say a trans finish definitely.

* Passive Pups (doesnt really matter whats in there as i change them anyway)

* 25.5" scale neck with white binding

* I think you should offer two models to satisfy folks, which also wont cost you too much overhead, but offer both the Reverse Headstock or the Regular headstock as an option

* I would REALLY like to see you bring back the Edge LoPro 7 because that is still the most superior tremelo i have ever used (all your LACS artists cant be wrong). But if no ELP, than the next would be the EDGE Zero or the Edge Pro 7, but please, for the love of god NOT THE ZR7.

* While i would love to see an EBony fingerboard, i know that you guys probably wont. So id say Rosewood with offset abalone dots, like you did with the 1077s, 8527s, and so on. It just looks really classy.

Thatll do it, i think those will be pretty popular specs. And thanks again for listening to our cries!
post #78 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 04:38 PM

I'll place my order now!!

Prestige Spec
Edge Pro 7 (or Edge Zero 7 if available)
Bolt on Five Pc Neck - 24 fret - unfinished
Ebony Or Rosewood board
Mahogany Body
Maple Top
Cool Trans Colour - Blue, Red, Purple, Green, etc... (In keeping with the curreny RGA Line)
Sharkfins or offset markers
Reverse headstock
Twin Humbuckers (Dimarzio/Ibanez)
Volume and tone

Thats me done.

Thanks for getting us involved Tak. I hope this comes out!!
post #79 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak Hosono View Post
Okay, RGA7 indeed.
what would you like to see on this guitar? You want a bolt on guitar or neck through?
How about tremolo or non tremolo? How much price range should be?
Please give us little more specific detailed information.
I can't promise you guys anything yet but I will present "RGA7" idea to the Hoshino Gakki guitar meeting next time.
Tak, thanks for sticking your head in here. Someone linked this over at www.sevenstring.org, and as I really dug the RGA 6's I've played, I thought I'd chime in.

I think it's worth noting that Chris Broderick's RGA7 is one of the few guitars I've seen posted to that site that, almost without exception, everyone wanted. You'd probably need to drop his plain nut for a locking one as a concession to those who use the bar a little more heavily than Broderick does, but if you follow that basic model (mahogany, quilt top, trans black, passive pickups, EP7 trem) then you're almost guaranteed to have a winner.

Personally I'd prefer something other than trans black of course, especially as so many J-Customs are black or Vintage Violin, but at the end of the day I wouldn't really complain.

This isn't a dealbreaker spec either, but I'd prefer a bolt-on to a neck-thru. Most Ibanez guitars are bolt-on for one, so it's not without precident, and almost every Ibanez I've set up had shipped with a little less than what I'd consider ideal neck angle so I've shimmed the neck on every single Ibanez I've owned.

Still, at the end of the day, if you make something based on Chris Broderick's RGA7, you'll have buyers. A signature model is probably out of the question now that he left Nevermore for Megadeth, but a man can hope.

Thanks for your time!

EDIT - seems I'm not alone.
post #80 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 06:43 PM

Here's what I'm thinking, something practical that wouldn't be *too* too expensive to make:

Mahogany Body w/ Quilted Maple Top
Black Onyx Paint ( la RG8527)
Natural binding on the body
Maple/Wenge 5 piece 27" Wizard Prestige Neck
Rosewood Fretboard w/ small dot inlays at the top of the board
Edge Pro 7 Bridge, accompanying locking nut
Whatever pickups Ibanez wants to stick in em

Of course, my dream axe would also have a piezo bridge, but we all know that just isn't gonna happen.
post #81 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Buz's guitar is very nice, I also like Chris Broderick's. With Chris hitting the big time in joining Megadeth maybe he could have a signature model.

I think $1300 to $1500 would be very reasonable for a Prestige, but I'm sure most people would prefer a locking nut and inlays.
This would be sweet in a 6 string version with an EZ trem. I'd be all over that

Is that piezo equiped? That would be the icing on the cake for a 6 string version of that axe. Yumm

cheers,

~Bones
post #82 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buz1701 View Post
AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
wooow, I'd like that. Just im not a fan of emg's Id like some dimarzio's in there
post #83 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Okay, RGA7 indeed.
what would you like to see on this guitar? You want a bolt on guitar or neck through?
I can't promise you guys anything yet but I will present "RGA7" idea to the Hoshino Gakki guitar meeting next time.
I really appreciate you asking this Tak.

I'd really like to see this as a neck through model, as something I've certainly lusted for is a neckthrough RG7, so you could easily kill two birds with one stone with this guitar. I'd much prefer a nice trem, Edge LoPro 7 if possible, but it's not a deal breaker for me. Pickups I'm not fussy about, as those can be changed out, just so long as it's not EMGs, as the big routing would be terrible for placing in DiMarzios, or other regular sized pickups.

Red, Green or Purple trans finish over a quilt or flame top. Please god not black, or blue.

The biggest factor in this guitar is that it is Japanese made. I'm a big fan of Ibanez, and I love your high end 7 strings, I own a Universe, K7, J Custom and RG1527... I would not be interested in a lower quality Korean or Indonesian made guitar, so that would the deal breaker for me, I'm only interested in a high end, Japanese made guitar.

If Ibanez brings out a Japanese made neckthrough RGA7, with a trem, and it is not black, I will buy it. Those specs would be as close to custom as I'd want, so I would definitely buy it. Other things like reversed headstock, inlays, it doesn't really matter, I don't mind.

Thanks again, and I really would like to see this guitar being made.
post #84 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 09:04 PM

Just to illustrate why neckthrough would be a good idea: http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60129

I think a lot more people would be this if it were neckthrough, so it would definitely make sense to go in this direction.
post #85 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Hungus View Post
Pickups I'm not fussy about, as those can be changed out
Ahhh, finally someone who gets it and doesn't prattle on about which pickups are used - Ibanez could never satisfy everyone no matter which pickups they used anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Hungus View Post
Red, Green or Purple trans finish over a quilt or flame top. Please god not black, or blue.

If Ibanez brings out a Japanese made neckthrough RGA7, with a trem, and it is not black, I will buy it.
Am I hearing you say you would prefer it not be black?
post #86 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gu1tar View Post
Ahhh, finally someone who gets it and doesn't prattle on about which pickups are used - Ibanez could never satisfy everyone no matter which pickups they used anyway.
Ah, I'm a dab hand with the soldering iron, I've changed out the pickups in most of my guitars, and I've even had multiple pickup changes on a single instrument a few times, so it's no bother at all.

The pickups that come stock on a guitar have 0 impact on whether or not I'd buy it, as I'd probably end up swapping 'em out anyway. The only exception to that is of course EMGs, and their big-ass routes, which makes swapping 'em out for passives leaving the guitar looking rather butchered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gu1tar View Post
Am I hearing you say you would prefer it not be black?
Sick to death of black guitars...
post #87 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 11:15 AM

We're gonna need an Edge Pro 7 trem and neck through just because the Ibby profile needs some diversification. To me, quality is more important than price. We can save for that extra couple hundred bucks towards a MIJ RGA7.
post #88 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Okay, RGA7 indeed.
Bolt on would be fine, to keep costs down. I would go either way with the trem/no-trem option. I think I would prefer an Edge FX, but whatever it comes with will be fine.

As for a price range, I would want it around the price of the RG1527, I know it won't be lower, but I don't want it much higher either.

Mahogany body with maple/wenge neck should make every one happy. Maybe off-set inlays, instead of boring regular ones. H-H config, definitely. One volume, one tone, 5-Way switch, as per usual. Also, MIJ would be best.

If it's possible to make it with Phase I blackout 7s (the passive sized ones), that'd be awesome, but otherwise, regular passives should be fine.

No reversed headstock on these though, PLEASE. It's cool on the Xiphos, but I'm thinking ew on an RGA.

As for colors, I like the red color that Buz McGrath's RGA7 has, and a deep see-thru blue color would be cool. Maybe see-thru black.

But, that's just me.
post #89 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 01:44 PM

Reviews: 1

Neck-thru would be NICE
post #90 of 182 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 02:01 PM

Neck-thru and A Transparent finish, and I will be pretty interested, regardless of any other options. Reverse headstock also is great.

Tags
abalone dots , air norton , alternate tuning , alternate tunings , basswood body , chris broderick , chrome hardware , cosmo black hardware , custom shop , dimarzio ibz , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , dimarzio pups , dot inlay , dot inlays , ebony board , ebony fingerboard , ebony fretboard , edge pro trem , edge trem , edge zero , epiphone les paul , equipped guitar , fixed bridge , flame maple , flamed maple , floating tremolo , fret buzz , fret inlay , fret neck , fretboard wood , guitar tech , hoshino gakki , ibanez guitars , ibanez models , jem custom , jumbo frets , killer guitar , korean guitar , les paul , locking nut , locking tuners , mahogany body , maple binding , maple fingerboard , maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , mij guitars , neck angle , neck binding , neck inlay , neck pickup , neck pockets , neck thru , neck thru body , neil zaza , offset dot inlays , piezo bridge , production model , quilted maple , reverse headstock , reverse headstocks , reversed headstock , rosewood board , rosewood fretboard , rosewood fretboards , seymour duncan , sharkfin inlays , tremolo arm , tremolo bridge , van halen , warped neck , wizard prestige , wizard prestige neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode