Prestige S's from Japan? - Jemsite
Comments to Ibanez Here is your chance to post your comments to Ibanez. Officially this topic is NOT endorsed, approved or monitored by Ibanez/Hoshino. That said, voice your opinion anyway. Please be courteous.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Prestige S's from Japan?

The one thing I'd really like to see from Ibanez is some new made in Japan Prestige S guitars.

The current crop of Korean Prestige S guitars just don't seem to be as awesome as the ones made in Japan around 2000 to 2004.

I would like to see a neck thru Prestige S with a lower profile version of the ZR tremolo, and a generally sleeker body.

Other appointments such as body and/or neck binding, maple or ebony fretboards, unusual fretboard inlays, exotic woods or even a more uncommon pickup choice would also make such a guitar more desirable.

I am absolutely certain that there are many Ibanez fans out there that would love to get their hands on a new MIJ Prestige S.

I understand that many of the features I have mentioned do appear on J-Custom models, but I would love to see some of them trickle down to the Prestige models, which are much more widely available to those of us outside Japan.

Thankyou Ibanez for making great guitars, and...

Rock on!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 07:01 PM

Re: Prestige S's from Japan?

NEVER gonna happen
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 03:00 AM Thread Starter

I know, but i'm in denial
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 04:43 AM
Eco

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Thep View Post
NEVER gonna happen
Arent people yapping about the 24 fret S that may or may not be released at Namm being MIJ?

Just a thought.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 12:04 PM

I dont' even think there will be a 24 fret S.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 03:55 PM

Well, this guy from Dragonforce has got one. He chimes in from time to time here, and I think I read his last comment where it was implied that Ibanez may be about to release that 24th fret model. May be it was my own interpretation of it, may be it'll just be the formal announcement of his own endorsee 24-fret S custom guitar. But I don't see it as a totally negated possibility. On the contrary. Ibanez needs to "innovate" (ahammmm... I know, too big of a word) a bit on the S-line to keep it alive.

Gus.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 08:43 AM

They already have a neck-through S. It's called the S4170AB, and unfortunately you can't get it outside of Europe. It's a shame, because it's absolutely beautiful.

post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I know about the "Europe only" S4170AB, and I think it looks beautiful too, but as far as I know, it's still made in Korea like the other Prestige S's.

It probably plays like a dream, but I wonder if it feels like the super sleek, ultra low profile MIJ S's from back in the day?

None of the modern S's i've played fell like the old MIJ ones.

I played a MIJ S540LTD with purple burst many years ago, and have never forgotten how great it felt. Unfortunately, I was too stupid to buy it when I had the chance.

Rock on!
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Katana View Post
They already have a neck-through S. It's called the S4170AB, and unfortunately you can't get it outside of Europe. It's a shame, because it's absolutely beautiful.

it aint a shame when you live in europe.. i like the look of that myself.. but i too want a MIJ 'S'
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 05:48 AM

i think Ibanez wont make japanese S anymore, that'll instantly kill the growing high-end-RG market, the S are definitely better than the RG.. thinner& more comfortable body shape, cooler look (for me..), mahogany body, give me superwizard neck&24fret ebony board, and I wont play anything else..
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

I know I'm probably wasting my time, but if enough people post here asking for Japanese made S guitars, Ibanez might get the message.

So, everyone who would purchase a new Japanese made S series guitar that is made to the old specs, please post in this thread. If we generate enough interest, maybe Ibanez will do something about it.

Rock on!
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 07:16 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackazs View Post
the S are definitely better than the RG
Yeah, I guess that's why the S outsells the RG so much!* Your preference for the S doesn't apply to all of us. I like both, but to be honest I doubt the popularity of the S is anywhere near the RG.

*Sarcasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetal4Ever View Post
So, everyone who would purchase a new Japanese made S series guitar that is made to the old specs, please post in this thread.
I'd buy one if it wasn't over-priced, otherwise why not just buy a used older one? There are plenty of them floating around on the used market.
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

I'd love to buy a second hand Japanese S, but I'm a bit apprehensive about buying a guitar I can't inspect from an unknown source.

If I had a reliable source I would definately concider it, but living in Australia, I don't see many (if any) for sale locally.

I've thought about Rich, as his reputation is impeccable, but I have no experience with importing a guitar, and have read lots of horror stories about "accidents" during shipping.

Rock on!
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 03:24 PM

I've had lots of guitars from overseas and they've been fine, don't be overly fussy about small dings and marks and you'll be happy with what you get i think. As for damage during transit - i guess that's a risk you take but i've not had it and don't know anyone who has.

The guitars available between 2000-2004 as you point out were the best ones i think. Just go for it!
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickieboy View Post
it aint a shame when you live in europe.. i like the look of that myself.. but i too want a MIJ 'S'
Not crazy about the "over the top" binding. And, It still has that crappy (IMO) neck profile and radius.

At least the Korean neck through S guitars don't have a fretboard that sits way high.

Time will tell...

Tags
basswood bodies , basswood body , body shape , custom guitar , custom models , ebony board , ebony fretboard , ebony fretboards , edge pro trem , edge pro tremolo , fret guitar , fret guitars , john suhr , mahogany body , neck binding , neck thru , pro tremolo , rosewood board , rosewood boards , sounding guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode