Prestige variety and the lack thereof - Jemsite
Comments to Ibanez Here is your chance to post your comments to Ibanez. Officially this topic is NOT endorsed, approved or monitored by Ibanez/Hoshino. That said, voice your opinion anyway. Please be courteous.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Prestige variety and the lack thereof

There is a real lack of pizazz in the prestige line. It seems like the farther you go up the line the less choices you have. The more I am willing to spend on a guitar I would think the more choices should be available. Believe me I understand the larger market is probably the RG350 and RG470 line up. But after looking for a couple of months and just simply finding nothing in the Ibanez line that I am interested in I realize it is just a lack of pizazz on Ibanez front. The biggest thing being color choices.

So to my idea...

I'm not saying make a custom series.. rather why not take one guitar, say the 3770Z, and have about 30 paint schemes and then only make 10 or 15 of each color. Maybe it becomes the top of the RG prestige lineup and you charge an extra $100. No fancy airbrush pictures or anything but maybe a few multi colors or lines, or checker pattern, a few bright green, orange wild ones. Nothing complicated. The quantity would be whatever fits in the paint booth for the operation of painting a series of bodies together economically. Nothing that could be ordered but rather produced and shipped to various vendors. Everything else on the guitar could be the exact same. You could still crank out say 200 black ones and 200 white ones and 200 red ones.

At least then there would be some variety and possibly in an economical way.

One other thought.

Who in their right mind is going to spend $1500 on a guitar they can't sit down with and try out first (assuming they have never tried something simliar before). Ibanez needs to do a better job of having vendors keep at least one top of the line type instrument with a super wizard prestige neck somewhere in a city so a person can try one out. As a manufacturer you have the right to require or put pressure on any vendors such as Guitar Center to keep something other than the RG350 and RG470 in a store.

Anyway my two cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 06:19 PM
Vendor

Re: Prestige variety and the lack thereof

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssteve72 View Post
Who in their right mind is going to spend $1500 on a guitar they can't sit down with and try out first (assuming they have never tried something simliar before). Ibanez needs to do a better job of having vendors keep at least one top of the line type instrument with a super wizard prestige neck somewhere in a city so a person can try one out. As a manufacturer you have the right to require or put pressure on any vendors such as Guitar Center to keep something other than the RG350 and RG470 in a store.

Anyway my two cents.
Sorry, but no manufacturer can force a dealer to carry what he doesn't want to, or doesn't think he can sell. There is a buy in dollar amount he has to meet for the year, past that, this is still America and you can't make me do anything you want, unless, you're the government. Then you can make people do plenty they don't want to!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Sorry, but no manufacturer can force a dealer to carry what he doesn't want to, or doesn't think he can sell. There is a buy in dollar amount he has to meet for the year, past that, this is still America and you can't make me do anything you want, unless, you're the government. Then you can make people do plenty they don't want to!
I agree they cannot force dealers to carry every little item. They can however put pressure on them..in otherwords.. negotiate.

You said it yourself Rich, you have a buy in dollar amount. You are already being forced. Just not as specifically as I am suggesting. I'm not saying Ibanez should cram $30,000 worth of inventory down your throat that you cannot sell. But, there is such as thing as having to little inventory and missed sales.

Look at guitar center for example. You can go to their website select a RG3770Z and it says (though it could be wrong) I can have it shipped to a store within 3-5 days. So they already have the inventory they just don't keep it in the store where a customer could actually play it. The saddest part is that their half million square foot warehouse is about 5 miles from my house. They probably have about 100 guitars in boxes over there and yet I can't find one in a store to play. IMO it is a disservice to Ibanez.

I can only speak to my experience and I am only one person but it is unlikely I am the only one.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Vendor

Having too little inventory and missed sales is a better alternative than have too much inventory you can't sell and going bankrupt having to pay the financing, and no, GC is not immune to the same problems. And it's no different in guitars than in any other industry. Lowes sure doesn't carry every Dewalt drill Dewalt makes, they carry what they want to. If you as a consumer are aware of another that you particularly want, you just may have to mail order it from Timbuktu, because that's just the way modern commerce works.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

I think overall we agree, but I do think there is room to see a Prestige model in a store. One guitar in inventory isn't going to break a store. Until then I'll just keep visiting stores hoping one appears and when I am in another town visit what stores I can.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Vendor

If there was 1 Prestige model in a store, it wouldn't be the one you'd want to buy anyway. It never is, that's why you [I] have to stock them all.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
If there was 1 Prestige model in a store, it wouldn't be the one you'd want to buy anyway. It never is, that's why you [i] have to stock them all.
Ah but if there was one I could try at any store and then thought to myself I like this but if they only had it in blue, then I could email you and buy it from you in the color I wanted. To me it's like buying a car, I want to test drive it. I don't care if I test drive a red corvette if I really want a blue one, I just want to see how it feels.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Vendor

And what good does that do the store that stocked the one you didn't want?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Well for one, can't the store can offer to order for a customer? Some people would be willing to wait. It affords them an opportunity they wouldn't otherwise have and a sale for Ibanez. I mean isn't that what a store is supposed to be doing? Selling Ibanez products? Some people might try something somewhere else then come to you to buy some people might try something you have then go somewhere else to buy. Why can't it work both ways.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssteve72 View Post
then I could email you and buy it from you in the color I wanted. .
Not exactly your original statement though.

The store that doesn't have a Prestige in stock probably also doesn't have a guitar over $600 from any manufacturer, and bottom line, the store owner/manager knows their customer base and what is right for their business.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Not exactly your original statement though.

The store that doesn't have a Prestige in stock probably also doesn't have a guitar over $600 from any manufacturer, and bottom line, the store owner/manager knows their customer base and what is right for their business.
My original point was stores need to have at least one guitar in this case a prestige with a super wizard neck would be nice, so people can try them before they buy them.

Actually they do have guitars over $600.. Had a JS1200, an RG Premium on my 3rd visit which I tried out for bit, Gibson... Maybe I am just having bad luck in being in the stores at the wrong times a dozen or so times.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Vendor

If it's a GC just tell them you want to try one, simple enough. If it's a mom and pop, my local doesn't have a guitar in the store more than $600, so RG320's would be typical inventory, and there is no way they'd ever order a Prestige to hang on the wall.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 04:11 PM

I think a bigger disservice is the fact that GC is notorious for bad set-ups.

People end up buying a RG350 over a RG3550MZ b/c it is set-up better and therefore feels better when audtioning guitars..

This is something IBANEZ should enforce.. or ship the guitars in better condition

It would be like testing driving a ferrari with low tire pressure....
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 10:17 AM

I think it's a real disservice to shop at GC. just my .02

Last edited by jimistephen; 09-08-2011 at 11:33 AM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 10:48 AM

Shops in general are struggling, moreso on higher priced items they cant compete very easily with the opportunities available on the internet. For the bigger retailers at least they probably have a net prescense (and some bulk buying power), for a small shop they dont even probably have that.

Its hard times.

Tags
prestige , variety

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode