Pricing Policies? - Jemsite
Comments to Ibanez Here is your chance to post your comments to Ibanez. Officially this topic is NOT endorsed, approved or monitored by Ibanez/Hoshino. That said, voice your opinion anyway. Please be courteous.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Pricing Policies?

I recently looked into the RG770DX reissues, but after the Australian distributor told me they would be retailing for $3000AUD (about $2920USD) I quickly lost interest.

They retail for $1733USD, which works out to be about $1800AUD. I understand that prices in the US would be a bit cheaper because of the volume of guitars sold, and importing and customs fees vary, but a $1200 difference is just ridiculous.

So, i'm asking if someone from Ibanez can have a look at their Australian pricing, and please take into account the current value of the Australian dollar.

This has probably come off as a huge whine, and if so, I can live with that, I just want to be able to buy an Ibanez guitar locally without paying a huge markup.

Rock on!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 09:52 AM

Re: Pricing Policies?

Prices aren't going to be based off the US Dollar to the Australian Dollar, that's a misleading comparison to make. The pricing policies are going to be based off the Japanese Yen to the Australian Dollar. A weak US dollar doesn't help lower pricing against a Japanese company anymore than it would help with Framus or Warwick or Vigier or ESP or any company not based out of the US.

The price is probably that high because so few are going to Australia that they can expect all of them to sell at a much higher profit. It is a for profit company after all, and for limited runs and special editions, the incentive to price competitively is less important.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

The point I was trying to make is that the Australian dollar is pretty much the same as the US dollar, so it doesn't really matter which you compare to the Yen.

I wasn't just talking about the special editions and one offs either. Ibanez guitars retail for about a third more in Australia on average compared to both Japan and America.

I'll provide a common example, the RG2550Z. It retails in Japan for 141750 yen, which is $1365AUD, and in the US it retails for $1199USD, which is $1233AUD. The actual Australian retail price is $2195AUD. How can a price markup of over $800 make sense?

A bit of a price difference is understandable, but as I said, charging on average a third more makes me feel like I have to bend over and grab my ankles to buy an Ibanez locally.

I love Ibanez guitars, but I don't love paying inflated prices.

Rant over, sorry for the bitching folks.

Rock on!
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetal4Ever View Post

I love Ibanez guitars, but I don't love paying inflated prices.

Rant over, sorry for the bitching folks.

Rock on!

That's cool man, the one thing you can never get sick of is threads complaining about the price of an Ibanez.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 12:30 PM
Vendor

These distributors are privately owned. They're not controlled by Hoshino or anybody else. They're in the business to make money and they sell for whatever profit margin they want. AU is not the only country in the world paying high prices, if you haven't noticed.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 09:59 PM
Dee

Hello. Get a USA import from Rich.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Hello. Get a USA import from Rich.
Ding ding....

Go with Rich, and get a hand selected guitar, pro set up, and shipped to you for less than you pay locally.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 02:08 AM

same for germany ! import!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 04:41 AM

You're nominally paying import duties and shipping and then mark ups; since it's such a small market, the enormous bulk shipping savings in the US don't apply either. Add retailer's markup and the relative lack of competition to the mix and you arrive at your store price. Europe and Africa sit with a similar problem, although guitar prices in Aus do seem to be way over the odds.

If you can trust your postal service to actually deliver, deal with a US dealer (Rich!) who will ship outside the US.

@Cid: Uh huh.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

My bad.

Many apologies to the fine folks at Ibanez for my misplaced blame. Next time i'll do a bit more research before I spit the dummy.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 02:40 PM

<!----Begin Sarcasm---!>

What? Nice things cost money??? Un-possible!!!!!!1!

<!---End Sarcasm---!>

...and what's the deal with those airplane peanuts?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 07:35 AM

still a lot cheaper than buying over here...
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 02:56 PM

Yeah, hey don't you guys make more money than us? Seems like there is a market for a good custom builder in Australia.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetal4Ever View Post
I recently looked into the RG770DX reissues, but after the Australian distributor told me they would be retailing for $3000AUD (about $2920USD) I quickly lost interest.

They retail for $1733USD, which works out to be about $1800AUD.
Don't forget the going street price is usually less than retail. So given the usual 75% of retail that seems to be the case for north america, wouldn't the actual selling price in the US be about ~$1300 USD?

I have no idea what the official Canadian pricing will be for the 770DX reissues here in Canada, but I can take a guess based on what happened with the RG20ths last year. For the RG20th, the US "retail" price was $1200, and the street price was $900 USD. In Canada I don't recall what the retail was, but the selling price was $1093 CDN (if you could GET one, heh). That would suggest that the RG770DXs will probably sell for just shy of $1600 CDN.

Now you said the Australian retail price is $3000 AUD. Does that same 75% rule apply over there? If so you would be able to buy it for $2250 AUD, right? (Although, that's still expensive relative to Canada and the US).
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 06:20 PM

Reviews: 120

I've found the 75% rule doesn't really work here in Australia with harder to find stuff especially.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

rg 550 pricing?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode