Questions about how Ibanez retails products - Jemsite
Comments to Ibanez Here is your chance to post your comments to Ibanez. Officially this topic is NOT endorsed, approved or monitored by Ibanez/Hoshino. That said, voice your opinion anyway. Please be courteous.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

Questions about how Ibanez retails products

I have two questions for Ibanez:
1) Why do you have different guitars advertised in different catalogue's or on the website depending on what country you're in? I'm assuming that you only offer those guitars in those countries that they're advertised, but people that really want one will just order it off the internet anyway. Which in the long term may help to destroy instrument retailers, which isn't good for anyone.
2) Why on earth do you not make any RG's with the HSH configuration and a hardtail anymore? that just seems a bit odd. There are players out there that want that sort of thing, so it isn't like there isn't any demand for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 06:08 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Questions about how Ibanez retails products

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabberz View Post
I have two questions for Ibanez:
1) Why do you have different guitars advertised in different catalogue's or on the website depending on what country you're in? I'm assuming that you only offer those guitars in those countries that they're advertised, but people that really want one will just order it off the internet anyway. Which in the long term may help to destroy instrument retailers, which isn't good for anyone.
2) Why on earth do you not make any RG's with the HSH configuration and a hardtail anymore? that just seems a bit odd. There are players out there that want that sort of thing, so it isn't like there isn't any demand for it.
1) Because different models are made for different markets. And it's not as easy, or cost effective to order off the Internet as you think.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

I know it isn't, and I wouldn't, but someone who wants a particular model will go out of their way to get it.
The way word spreads around the world and the ease of getting around it make that argument largely irrelevant in today's world. I could understand if it was ssomething like a J. custom, but models in the RG series not being available in Australia (eg, rg470 with a mahogany body)? Or how about an ICT700. We can't get that here either. That plain and simple doesn't make sense to me.
I can understand a retailer choosing not to stock an item, but to not have that option in the first place is a different story. One of my local shops has offered to ship in models on request from the catalogue, but what if the model I want isn't in there.
I don't buy that different models/different markets argument. Maybe if I was around 20 years ago I would've, but not now.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 07:35 AM

Reviews: 25

I just assumed the Ibanez distributors of the country in question decide on what would work best for their market and then order them in. They are the ones who have to buy the guitars and make sure they sell the most, so they choose what they think will sell the best. Ibanez in Japan would have less knowledge of the trends in a certain country compared with their Ibanez counterparts in that country..
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
I just assumed the Ibanez distributors of the country in question decide on what would work best for their market and then order them in. They are the ones who have to buy the guitars and make sure they sell the most, so they choose what they think will sell the best. Ibanez in Japan would have less knowledge of the trends in a certain country compared with their Ibanez counterparts in that country..
This is certainly the story that the folks in the know over here tell! I'd imagine its the same everywhere, domestic distributor is responsible for domestic sales the chooses domestic line up accordingly...
jono is online  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
This is certainly the story that the folks in the know over here tell! I'd imagine its the same everywhere, domestic distributor is responsible for domestic sales the chooses domestic line up accordingly...
This policy makes sense to a point, but in today's age of automated supply chains, it ought to be easy to make a special order. Wal-mart has fine-tuned their supply chain to the point where their cash registers in the US "talk" to the suppliers in China to ensure the shelves are stocked, but I can't go into my dealer and say, "I want one of those Japanese-market guitars, here's my cash," and they'll get it for me.

It's one of the biggest complaints we see on the 'net these days with regard to Ibanez guitars. And the 'net fuels it because we can see the guitars wherever we are in the world . . . we just can't buy them.

Peace

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode