Replaceable Knife Edges, why? - Jemsite
Comments to Ibanez Here is your chance to post your comments to Ibanez. Officially this topic is NOT endorsed, approved or monitored by Ibanez/Hoshino. That said, voice your opinion anyway. Please be courteous.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Replaceable Knife Edges, why?

Why can't they go back to selling these? Now when I screw up my knife edges I have to take a file to them and risk screwing them up even more, or I have to buy a new trem or used trem in it's entirety in order to get a replaceable set.

How hard is it to send 50 pairs of knife edges to the ibanez shop a year, sell them for $30. Why would they discontinue this?

I can't imagine they would be so incredulous to think we would just buy replacement trems when we wear out our edges.

I feel it is a major fail in their services to not offer replacements of the NAME of the most important hardware of their guitars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 08:56 PM

Re: Replaceable Knife Edges, why?

Because it wasn't profitable.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 08:25 AM

Make new ones. Go to a metal supplier online, order the stock and have at it.
Screw Ibanez and their greed.

They sell all shapes and thicknesses of bar stock.
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

It should be more a service on their part than a profit. I can't imagine they sell a lot of replacement screws or string trees.

It should be the most practical thing on earth for them to have replacements of the pinnacle of the trem action, one of the most important and flagship things on their guitars.

How would I order a stock if these from a supplier? How do I get de mentions and such. And how much more would it cost
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle am I View Post
It should be more a service on their part than a profit. I can't imagine they sell a lot of replacement screws or string trees.

It should be the most practical thing on earth for them to have replacements of the pinnacle of the trem action, one of the most important and flagship things on their guitars.

How would I order a stock if these from a supplier? How do I get de mentions and such. And how much more would it cost
Dont gripe. Japan doesnt even have anyone like Rich to do ANYTHING... and this is their HOME MARKET. Be lucky living in the US you can get stuff from Rich for cheap, whereas I have to either have him send it to my mother's place or direct to japan and pay international shipping fees. Be lucky Rich is there.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
It should be more a service on their part than a profit.
They aren't in business to perform a service to the world. They are in business to make money. Like it or not that is the way it is.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
They aren't in business to perform a service to the world. They are in business to make money. Like it or not that is the way it is.
Oh I completely understand that, but I feel like it would be such a small operation to get a few replacements available. I just feel like instead of selling so many different types of xy&z that you can buy anywhere they could sell something as vital as knife edges. It should be up there like selling replacement bars. I feel like it should be a given that they sell these
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 08:45 PM

nice very good axe
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith89 View Post
nice very good axe
Tell me you're not who I think you are

Last edited by Kyle am I; 05-15-2014 at 10:38 PM.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 10:50 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Why can't they go back to selling these? Now when I screw up my knife edges I have to take a file to them and risk screwing them up even more, or I have to buy a new trem or used trem in it's entirety in order to get a replaceable set.

How hard is it to send 50 pairs of knife edges to the ibanez shop a year, sell them for $30. Why would they discontinue this?

I can't imagine they would be so incredulous to think we would just buy replacement trems when we wear out our edges.

I feel it is a major fail in their services to not offer replacements of the NAME of the most important hardware of their guitars
This is a sore spot with me because I have pleaded with them to make them available, and Japan just will not do it. They want you to buy the new trem, unfortunately it might not be in the same color as the one that needs it, discontinued 10 years ago. It's like the tensioned arm holder on the Edge Zero as a swap to the Lo Pro holder, they will not sell it.

I have thought about having a batch made. Small batch would cost too much, but if Ibanez sold them they'd probably be stupid priced anyway.

Quote:

The fact is they're selling lots of screws and string trees, replacement parts programs are expensive for companies to run and makes the price of the parts expensive. They make proprietary systems so you have no other choice but to buy their parts, [until somebody starts knocking off copies of ZR/EZ T blocks].

I had a guy call a couple weeks ago [not a customer, just out of the blue], and he was complaining [ranting] about the bushing that was under his trem arm, that isn't in the manual, and he lost it, and called the company and they charged him $8, plus shipping, for the bushing. After a lashing at Ibanez I finally realized he was only calling to rant and get it off his chest. Thankfully he did, because I had the bushings priced at $3, and that meant list more than doubled! Granted, these same bushing were $1 no more than a year ago. 800% increase, you do the math
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Tell me you're not who I think you are
I didnt even read the thread, I just needed to get 1 post before I could private message a man about a dog. And the post had to be more then 5 letters.

haha
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

A dog? What? Lol

And sorry. I thought you might have been somebody else.

Rich- do it. Buy a large quantity of the knife edges, please do it. I'm sure quite a few of us here will be sure to buy multiple pairs. I'll buy two pairs right off the bat.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

And if you can- get them in titanium ? For $100 a pair, they'd last forever.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
And if you can- get them in titanium ? For $100 a pair, they'd last forever.
Titanium is not stronger than steel when worked into the same physical dimensions. This is a common misconception.

If you have a half inch tube made of steel, and a half inch tube made of titanium, with the same wall thickness and length, the titanium tube will bend and buckle under less force than the steel one, however the steel one will weigh much more.

You can make a titanium part with the same structural strength as the steel one, but you'd need to use a greater volume of titanium and almost certainly you would need to use a larger diameter of tubing with a different wall thickness - however in the end your titanium part would still be lighter (though by less than the titanium part made with the same dimensions would have been), once the necessary steps had been taken.

Simply replacing a steel part with an identical one made of titanium will make the part weaker, not stronger.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 09:35 PM

Bushings, the only thing I don't like about the Edge and Edge Pro bridges.
I've tried the nail polish trick, the lighter trick, squeezing plastic film in with the bar.......none of these are satisfactory. Nail polish wears off pretty quickly, the heat didn't seem to work and I was afraid to go too far and fry the little thing, and the plastic film was crazy tight, even though it was the thinnest I could find. And besides, Jeff teased me about "putting a condom on my 'wang bar'"
I didn't even realize the knives were replaceable. Why even make them as a separate part if they aren't going to offer replacements for sale?

Tags
knife edge , replacement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode