RG 550 and a few suggestions... - Jemsite
Comments to Ibanez Here is your chance to post your comments to Ibanez. Officially this topic is NOT endorsed, approved or monitored by Ibanez/Hoshino. That said, voice your opinion anyway. Please be courteous.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Cool RG 550 and a few suggestions...

I believe that the recent reissue of the RG550MXX has proven that it could still be a big seller; why not add it to the normal Prestige line? Certainly Ibanez wouldn't balk at the chance to cash in on this wave of RG-mania, would they? I could care less about whether they're an anniversery model or not, but this "limited edition" nonsense has only encouraged everyone and their mother (regardless of whether they want to play it or resell it for more money) to snap them up before the rest of us have had a chance. If these were widely available I would buy three, no questions asked. Ibanez currently stands to gain nothing from skyrocketing **** prices, so why not produce another 5000 or so and make a huge profit (not to mention sending the **** robbers packing)?

Secondly, the RG42DX... Awesome, awesome guitar; I recently got the opportunity to play one in a store and these things shred. However:

1. Why only the white and blue quilt top colour options? This guitar would have looked awesome in Midnight Blue, or even black.

2. I may be in the minority here, but a pickguard really would have made this guitar. When I buy it, the first thing I do will be to install a pickguard as it looks so plain without one.

3. With all of the support for maple fretboards, why do we not have more of them? Chances are that most Ibanez players are maple fans, at least if this site is to be any indication. The new RG350 has an awesome maple fretboard with really cool sharkfins; that could have been put to very good use here, but, sadly, no dice. I don't know about the rest of you, but when I think 'Ibanez' I think 'maple fretboard, RG body, and pickguard.' I've never liked rosewood and it galls me that so many guitars nowadays use this for the fingerboard.

There you have it, just a few suggestions and comments from a guy that's been an Ibanez man for over half his life(The last 14 years or so).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 03:51 PM

Re: RG 550 and a few suggestions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringer of torture View Post
I believe that the recent reissue of the RG550MXX has proven that it could still be a big seller; why not add it to the normal Prestige line? Certainly Ibanez wouldn't balk at the chance to cash in on this wave of RG-mania, would they? I could care less about whether they're an anniversery model or not, but this "limited edition" nonsense has only encouraged everyone and their mother (regardless of whether they want to play it or resell it for more money) to snap them up before the rest of us have had a chance. If these were widely available I would buy three, no questions asked. Ibanez currently stands to gain nothing from skyrocketing **** prices, so why not produce another 5000 or so and make a huge profit (not to mention sending the **** robbers packing)?

i could not agree more with this. i only just recently played one of the RG 550 reissues, but chances are that i won't be able to get one when i do have the money. it's quite disappointing.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 04:29 PM

I'm not convinced about a new RG550 you know. Have you heard and read the moaning from people who say it's too expensive/too retro and they'd rather just buy a cheap old one? I think Ibanez got it about right. If they'd produced another 5000 they'd be sat on shelves for a long while - not good for business. I think you'll find the reason they've sold as many as they have is because they ARE limited editions and an Anniversary model. People like that special-ness about them.

That said, they haven't sold as well as I thought they might. I expected them all to be sold on pre-sales, but plenty made it to dealers walls by the sound of it.

Supply and demand you see - gotta get it just right, and set your price accordingly
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Cool Re: RG 550 and a few suggestions...

Well, after securing my own RG550MXXRFR I'm not nearly as fervent about this, but I would still like to see more colours introduced. That being said, the photos on the Ibanez website do none of their colours justice at all. I wasn't interested in the least in an RG2550EGK until I saw it elsewhere. Now, I've got one on order and can't wait! My advice to Ibanez would be to make sure that the photos on their website show the finishes as they really are; it would encourage more people (like me) to buy them.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 12:43 PM

Ay I would LOVE to get a reissue RG. I'm saving my pennies, but I'm sure they'll be all gone by the time I have the cash. I wish there were more as well.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 12:49 PM

For one, I hope the anniversary series was a tester on how many would sell, as a future reference to create the neons/RG550's again.

We'll see at summer NAMM, although if they are to bring out RG550's again, I doubt they'll do it at summer NAMM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 01:03 PM

I may be in the minority, but I hate maple fret boards. UGH. We need more ebony!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 01:07 PM

They need to brig back the RG550/570 and 750/770 altogether.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 02:28 AM
Dee

Damn right.

The mind boggles as to why they even stopped making the RG550. Sure, it turned into the 1550 (great guitar) and then the 2550, but it gained a rosewood board, a thicker neck, absolutely no finish options, and of course the Edge Pro. Not a bad trem by any means, but IMO it isn't as good as the Lo-Pro or Original Edge!

Ibanez, please cut the crap and give us back the RG550!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 05:14 AM
Eco

People didnt buy them because they were limited edition, they arent the type of guitar thats going to go up by thousands if you leave them unplayed.

It was the fact that, other than the AANJ, they had all the features that got people interested in ibanez guitars.

The majority of ibanez players liked the stick thin neck and crazy neon colours, so even if they put the rg550xxx neck on other guitars they'd see an increase.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 05:15 AM
Eco

Quote:
Originally Posted by taracatac View Post
I may be in the minority, but I hate maple fret boards. UGH. We need more ebony!
+1

Im not a fan of maple boards either.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 06:58 AM

Reviews: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
They need to brig back the RG550/570 and 750/770 altogether.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Damn right.

The mind boggles as to why they even stopped making the RG550. Sure, it turned into the 1550 (great guitar) and then the 2550, but it gained a rosewood board, a thicker neck, absolutely no finish options, and of course the Edge Pro. Not a bad trem by any means, but IMO it isn't as good as the Lo-Pro or Original Edge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco View Post
People didnt buy them because they were limited edition, they arent the type of guitar thats going to go up by thousands if you leave them unplayed.

It was the fact that, other than the AANJ, they had all the features that got people interested in ibanez guitars.

The majority of ibanez players liked the stick thin neck and crazy neon colours, so even if they put the rg550xxx neck on other guitars they'd see an increase.

+1 to all three for me!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Damn right.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
IBANEZ READ HERE!!!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oh yes Ibanez! PLEEEEEASE do!!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 02:50 PM

hmmm i like ebony best too, but maple comes a close second, maple looks great when its new but aweful when its well used and worn tho' .. rosewood is kinda boring.. i think ibanez were right to limit the 20th, it makes it a bit special even if in reality its the same'ish old axe.. i have a 2550 too, and altho its a great guitar its not quite an RG 20th to me.. does that sound like the rantings of a sensible man..? my 2550 has gone to the bay as we speak, i just don't want it anymore.. sad but true.. here a pic from happier times..
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 12:56 PM

I would just kill to have an Ibanez lineup similar to this (I saved these pictures and uploaded them myself, so I am not harming Rich's bandwidth)

Tags
fret board , ibanez guitars , maple fret , maple fret board , maple fretboard , rosewood board

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode