Shark Fin and Shark Tooth inlays - Page 2 - Jemsite
Comments to Ibanez Here is your chance to post your comments to Ibanez. Officially this topic is NOT endorsed, approved or monitored by Ibanez/Hoshino. That said, voice your opinion anyway. Please be courteous.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Re: Shark Fin and Shark Tooth inlays

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I'm another one who loves the sharkteeth inlay. I do find it surprising that one of Ibanez's most distinctive inlays is now the herald of mid and lower price guitars.

I recall when you saw sharkteeth, you knew someone had sprung for something more than a regular 550 like the rest of the guys. That guy, yeah, he was a SERIOUS shredder!!!
I chuckle because, I mean, what...do you "draw the line" on an Ibanez when it comes to Shark inlays?

Pencil-thin necks with jumbo frets?

Yes!

Gaudy neon day-glo colors?

Yes!

Multi-color pickup bobbins?

Yes!

Sharktooth/Sharkfin inlays?

*crickets*

All of the above is ok but shark inlays mean that we're one degree from whipping out the aquanet and spandex, eh?

You guys would love my signature Ibanez. There'd be two models - one with a bright red maple flame top and one with a red tiger stripe print ala George Lynch. Both would have MOP TIGER tooth inlays.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I'm another one who loves the sharkteeth inlay. I do find it surprising that one of Ibanez's most distinctive inlays is now the herald of mid and lower price guitars.

I recall when you saw sharkteeth, you knew someone had sprung for something more than a regular 550 like the rest of the guys. That guy, yeah, he was a SERIOUS shredder!!!
Jono makes a great point. One upon a time, you had to spend serious cash to get a cool inlay, be it sharkteef or binding or abalone ovals. Now they're just everywhere.

Which makes me like plain ebony boards even more.

(I still loved my RG1200 neck, bound rosewood with abalone ovals, miss that guitar LOTS)
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

I think jono's comment is the puzzle piece I'm missing. I started playing in the early 90s. There really wasn't anywhere near the information there is now, even though that wasn't too long ago. At that time, I couldn't recite you a full report of *any* line of guitars, and certainly not Ibanez seeing as I was 12. To me, there were the DY Jems in the pawnshops I always wanted and some lower end ones in all the mailed MF and AMS catalogues that for some reason I remember all having Shark inlays.

Looking through old Ibanez catalogues on Rich's site, I'm guessing what I was looking at was RG4XX, RG3XX and the older RG2XXs that had those inlays. Maybe they're not associated with high-end models, but I'm commenting that Ibanez should start.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 02:42 PM

Ibanez has been very underrated when it comes to inlay awesomeness. From the Ibanez block to the pyramid to the tree of life to the good old sharktooth, they've come up with some good ones.
Jack Secret is online  
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 10:23 PM

I'm a big fan of sharktooth, in fact , that's the first thing I recoqnize from Ibanez, before I understand wizard, lo pro edge, etc...

All my Ibanezes are Sharktooth, except one J custom with tree of life
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 01:26 AM

I like the sharktooth inlays.
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 09:21 AM

I love the sharktooth inlay, I wont buy an ibanez without it. I however dont like the colored inlay too much. I personally cant stand the regular dot inlay.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 09:44 AM

I love sharktooth inlays as well as opposed to those dreadful offset dots. Too bad they abandoned making guitars with sharktooths.
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 08:46 PM

The sharktooth inlays are one of my favorite things about my RG3EXFM1... dots are okay (they do the job), but I gotta admit that I like fancy inlays of almost any kind. Nothing to do with performance, but everything to do with character!
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 03:04 PM

I'm so obsessed with the tree of life that I had to try it!!! It's ok if you rip on me, but I have a $58 Jackson I got off Ebay that I wanted try it on.

Last edited by Yel911; 09-20-2015 at 09:50 PM.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 08:52 AM

I saw Shark fin and Shark tooth, so I could not resist. Shark week just ended, so I am all hopped up on Shark stuff. I have been vacuuming everyday multiple times with my Shark vacuum even. Shark tooth inlay.....good. I like the Ibanez variation. I especially like it on an Ebony fingerboard with binding. It is a nice option to the common dots.

Last edited by Naked Ape; 08-30-2015 at 08:34 AM.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 06:23 AM

Sharks for life!
It's sad to see them on lower end models, and not on the higher ones.
Years ago there were affordable beauties like the 570EX, but not anymore

Tags
fin , inlay , shark , teeth , tooth

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode