Some suggestions for Ibanez guitars - Jemsite
Comments to Ibanez Here is your chance to post your comments to Ibanez. Officially this topic is NOT endorsed, approved or monitored by Ibanez/Hoshino. That said, voice your opinion anyway. Please be courteous.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Some suggestions for Ibanez guitars

EDIT: I'm talking specifically about the Prestige (especially RG) and J Custom lines, not the regular RG or S series guitars.

EDIT #2: Pictures added below of previous Ibanez models to illustrate point

I suggest offering high end Ibanez Prestige guitars with standard tremolos (made by say, Gotoh or another company) in addition to locking trems.

For an example of what I'm talking about, take a look at this:

Although a nice looking guitar, I know you guys could make one even better than that. Keep the flamed maple tops, the mahogany bodies, the directed mounted pickups, etc. But, start offering guitars like that with standard trems in addition to the locking trems. I fully believe you'd start taking away a lot of business from Surh, Anderson, etc., if you started doing that.

ADDED:

Last edited by SnakeEyes; 09-23-2009 at 12:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 01:08 AM

Reviews: 7
Re: Some suggestions for Ibanez guitars

They already have. There are the RGA models and the SA models.......
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 01:17 AM

SV model?
I like SV model, but I don't like center dot inlays with fretboard and body binding.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbaline View Post
They already have. There are the RGA models and the SA models.......
I appreciate the response, but I must correct you. The RGA models you referred to are not Prestige line guitars, which is what I suggested in the original post. The RGA Prestiges have FIXED bridges, not tremolos.

You also said the "SA" models. The SA models aren't Prestiges, either. The ONLY Prestige model with a standard trem is the SV5470F

While it is a pretty guitar, it's not even an RG. I'm personally not crazy about the "S" series and, not only that, it only comes in one finish. I think Ibanez should start making some RG Prestige guitars (like the RGT320, for instance) with a standard trem. Imagine an Ibanez Prestige like the RG3120 or 320 or a JCustom with a standard trem? I would definitely buy one if they did that.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 02:45 AM

Better than a Suhr? Doubt it. Especially not unless it was hand built in the custom shop and even then it had better be flawless to go up against John Suhr.

I have a JS1000, not saying that is exactly custom shop Ibanez material but if you compare mine which had a fret job and pro set up before I received it to one straight from the factory there is a big difference, Ibanez QC isn't what it used to be.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

I agree that Ibanez quality is way, way down, unfortunately. But, I disagree about Suhr. I know I brought them up in my original post, so this isn't directed at you at all, but I'm so sick of hearing about how great they are. I've played a bunch of them and, well, they're not that great. I know this kind of thing is entirely subjective, but I fully believe Ibanez has the capability to build a guitar with the same specs as a Suhr (flamed top, mahogany body, directed mounted pickups, standard trem) just as good - or even better if they really put in the time - than that company and other companies that make similiar guitars.

To illustrate my point, I will say this: pick up an RG3120 or even a Jem from 1999, then play a Suhr from 2009. I don't think a Suhr is any better (generally; obviously there are exceptions on both sides) than either of those two models. Ibanez has demonstrated that they CAN make extraordinary guitars. I think if they start making high end RG's with standard trems and all the specs I mentioned AND get the quality control going, they'd make themselves some new fans.

Unfortunately, Ibanez is looked at as the "metal guitar with the floating trems." Like it or not, that's the image people have of the company. I know, I work at a place that's an Ibanez dealer and I see it all the time. People don't even ASK about Ibanez guitars anymore. It's getting that bad, at least around here. As a longtime Ibanez player, I - and everyone who posts here - know they can make amazing instruments. I'd like to see what they can do in that market. You know, the Guthrie Govan/ Fusion-shred market rather than the Metal thing.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 03:29 AM

Reviews: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes View Post
I agree that Ibanez quality is way, way down, unfortunately. But, I disagree about Suhr. I know I brought them up in my original post, so this isn't directed at you at all, but I'm so sick of hearing about how great they are. I've played a bunch of them and, well, they're not that great. I know this kind of thing is entirely subjective, but I fully believe Ibanez has the capability to build a guitar with the same specs as a Suhr (flamed top, mahogany body, directed mounted pickups, standard trem) just as good - or even better if they really put in the time - than that company and other companies that make similiar guitars.

To illustrate my point, I will say this: pick up an RG3120 or even a Jem from 1999, then play a Suhr from 2009. I don't think a Suhr is any better (generally; obviously there are exceptions on both sides) than either of those two models. Ibanez has demonstrated that they CAN make extraordinary guitars. I think if they start making high end RG's with standard trems and all the specs I mentioned AND get the quality control going, they'd make themselves some new fans.

Unfortunately, Ibanez is looked at as the "metal guitar with the floating trems." Like it or not, that's the image people have of the company. I know, I work at a place that's an Ibanez dealer and I see it all the time. People don't even ASK about Ibanez guitars anymore. It's getting that bad, at least around here. As a longtime Ibanez player, I - and everyone who posts here - know they can make amazing instruments. I'd like to see what they can do in that market. You know, the Guthrie Govan/ Fusion-shred market rather than the Metal thing.
If no one is asking to buy Ibanez guitars, then how are they still a company... I think they sell many guitars, just not in your shop :P
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 05:42 AM

Reviews: 4

I think Ibanez seems to be losing appeal to new customers/younger guitarists. That shows when you go the JCF forums for example. What's really bad, is that Ibanez is also starting to alienate/piss off their existing customers. They've made some really bad decisions in recent years, and to be honest, I think it's starting to catch up with them.

Finish Options.

Yes, once again, we come to Ibanez's inability to be creative with their finishes. Few guitars have the option of more than two finishes.

If you compare the RG1570 to the Jackson DK2M. Both are around the same price, both are quality MIJ guitars made in Japan.

Ibanez RG1570 finishes -
1. Mirage Blue,
2. Black.

Jackson DK2M finishes -
1. Eerie Dress Swirl,
2. Transparent Blue,
3. Transparent Black,
4. Snow White,
5. Inferno Red,
6. Black.

3x as much variety, offering soild colors, transparent colors, and a graphic finish.

As for the USA made Jackson DK1,
1. Black,
2. Ferrari Red,
3. Gun Metal Gray,
4. Metallic Black,
5. Snow White,
6. Quick Silver,
7. Darby Green,
8. Acapulco Gold,
9. Absinthe Frost,
10. Agent Orange,
11. Burnt Cherry Sunburst,
12. Natural,
13. Transparent Black,
14. Transparent Blue,
15. Black Ghost Flames,
16. Bolted Steel,
17. Nebula,
18. Shattered Glass,
19. Snake Skin,
20. Copper Snake Skin,
21. Yellow Bengal,
22. Skull Yard.

That, to be honest, puts Ibanez to shame.

Decline in Quality

The Edge Zero certanly comes to mind here. I for one, will NEVER be buying another guitar that has one equipped, which takes out 99% of Ibanez's top-line. I can't help but feel that Ibanez is just being cheap on this part. Why not just pay the licensing fees to bring the Edge/Lo-Pro back? As someone else said, just raise the price of each guitar by $20. Big woop.

Aswell as some A+ grade marketing by coming to the conclusion that people need an 8-string guitar more than New Finishes, Maple Boards etc.

Sadly, I think that Ibanez pretty much surviving on a name these days. And if Steve Vai and Paul Gilbert went to another company one day, Ibanez would die the next.

Last edited by SilverEra; 09-21-2009 at 06:36 AM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
I appreciate the response, but I must correct you. The RGA models you referred to are not Prestige line guitars, which is what I suggested in the original post. The RGA Prestiges have FIXED bridges, not tremolos.

You also said the "SA" models. The SA models aren't Prestiges, either. The ONLY Prestige model with a standard trem is the SV5470F

While it is a pretty guitar, it's not even an RG. I'm personally not crazy about the "S" series and, not only that, it only comes in one finish. I think Ibanez should start making some RG Prestige guitars (like the RGT320, for instance) with a standard trem. Imagine an Ibanez Prestige like the RG3120 or 320 or a JCustom with a standard trem? I would definitely buy one if they did that.
RGA321 and 121, are Prestige, the 321 is the one that is still being made I believe, and I doubt there is a high enough demand foe standard trems on RGs, There already is the SV and of course there is the AT100. That's plenty of standard tremness for me.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Ibanez has demonstrated that they CAN make extraordinary guitars. .
has? CAN? I can play any Ibanez through any price range from 09 built to 91 built with no hindrence (Is that a word?) unlike alot of other brands and I think the prestige line is good enough as is, they have been making a fair few improvements lately and it can only get better.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydogga View Post
RGA321 and 121, are Prestige, the 321 is the one that is still being made I believe, and I doubt there is a high enough demand foe standard trems on RGs, There already is the SV and of course there is the AT100. That's plenty of standard tremness for me.
Well, I already addressed the RGA's. The RGA321 only has a FIXED bridge, which isn't what I'm suggesting, so I'm not quite sure why you keep bringing it up. Secondly, as you pointed out, in the states at least, there isn't an RGA121 anymore - at least not on the Ibanez site. There is only one RGA and it's the RGA321, which has a fixed bridge.

You did mention the Andy Timmons guitar, which I did forget about, and we already came up with the SV. However, that's two guitars out of how many? And, neither of them are RG's. You say that you doubt there's a demand for RG's with standard trems. Well, I don't know about that. Suhrs, Anderson, etc. are doing pretty well for not having locking trems. I concede that it might be just a fad, but I know, personally, I would buy one. I just don't think it would hurt to have a really nice RG Prestige with a standard trem. I really believe they'd do well with a model like that.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
If no one is asking to buy Ibanez guitars, then how are they still a company... I think they sell many guitars, just not in your shop :P
Not in any store around here. I've driven through New England countless times to many music stores and I found ONE in CT that stocks high end Ibanez models - and, that was back in 2007. That might have changed by now. Even Matt's Music, which sells all the high end boutique guitars, didn't have anything high end from Ibanez.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 04:34 AM

BL1025?
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Just looked that model up. Those are more Strat-like, but yeah, that's more along the lines of what I'm talking about. More specifically, I'm thinking of like, say, an RGT320Q or an RG3120 with a standard trem.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 02:03 PM

standard trem= out of tune
locking trem= in tune .....hmmmmm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode