Stop the ERG fad - Jemsite
Comments to Ibanez Here is your chance to post your comments to Ibanez. Officially this topic is NOT endorsed, approved or monitored by Ibanez/Hoshino. That said, voice your opinion anyway. Please be courteous.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Stop the ERG fad

thats it, my comment to ibanez is: please stop this stupid ERG craze fad, and save the integrity if the electric guitar*

* i own/ed three ERGs (including 2228 )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 05:35 PM

Re: Stop the ERG fad

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYLD STALLYNS View Post
thats it, my comment to ibanez is: please stop this stupid ERG craze fad, and save the integrity if the electric guitar*

* i own/ed three ERGs (including 2228 )
Why would they stop it when you have purchased three yourself? Your not helping by buying three of them.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

of course i bought at least one, and i tried 3 extensively to give it a real go

otherwise how could i make a comment about it? it would be silly to say "stop ergs" if i never played one

i also sold 2 (id sell the 3rd but it has sentimental value )
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 06:59 PM

I don't see the extended range thing as a fad at all. Disregard this guy.

I can't wait for djent to die a slow, painful death too, but the fact that if I wanted to I could go out and buy an Ibanez 9-string is, I think, awesome. I play bluesy instrumental rock on my seven string - it's an awesome instrument and the extended range opens up a lot of soloing possibilities. I think it's awesome Ibanez is producing great, affordable 7+ string instruments.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

9+ strings negates what a guitar is, and it maked it something else

drew why do you love me so much bro, its weird, i dont even know you creep lol
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 09:11 PM

fail.

Last edited by Stealthtastic; 10-18-2014 at 09:30 AM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 03:24 AM

Visit somewhere like ss.org and you'll see its no fad.
Lack of ERG's was one of the reasons so many people started building for themselves.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 09:22 AM

Reviews: 6

I like 7s, have played a few, but don't own one for the simple reason there has always been a 6 I wanted more. When it gets to 8s and 9s I feel we're moving into the bass range and bass players (at least the ones I've met) are quiet and contemplative enough without silencing them altogether. I say give the bass players a chance, we don't want them becoming serial killers for lack of an outlet to vent their frustrations. Additionally, I've small hands, 8 and 9s would feel like playing a coffee table for me.

Yes, I also want to see many djent players die a slow and painful...oh the music, yes, not the players, even though I feel there should be some retribution for infecting every rock bar I used to love with their dropped 3 string grinding. In saying all the above I love Tosin Abasi - but I don't see the man as djenty really, more a great jazz player with heavy rock leanings.

I would love to see more extended fretboards extending the range up rather than extending it down.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 10:07 AM

A guitar is an instrument with strings. The term guitar does not in any way imply a specific range of the instrument. Bass guitars (yes, that's what they are), go deeper and cover the bass are. The baritone guitar is something we've had since the 60's. The guitar we usually play (most of us) is a tenor guitar. There are also other guitars, up to the soprano guitar.

Makes me wonder if you also want to get rid of singers who can cover more than four octaves...
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 01:23 PM

Wyld Stallyns, you're a weird dude.

Yeah, you run into trouble if you try to get a distorted 9-string and a bass to cover the same frequency range, but that opens up different possibilities for arrangements (clean upper-register bass stuff over a low-E riff, perhaps? Could work). Also, I'd love an 8 or 9 for clean chordal stuff - bassists also get into the extended range thing, and you'll see guys with seven string basses doing gorgeous unaccompanied fingerstyle/touchstyle stuff on their instruments. I'd love to give that a try on something with more range than my 7.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 01:56 PM

Ha, 'ERG fad'. You're funny.

http://www.earlyromanticguitar.com/erg/multibass.htm

etc, etc, etc.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

My view is that if Ibanez aren't making ERGs, then who the hell should be?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laobi View Post
I would love to see more extended fretboards extending the range up rather than extending it down.
Maybe the string size is a limiting factor?? Uli Jon Roth has his 6 octave Sky guitar and runs the fretboard all the way up to the bridge pickup. Uli is the man.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Maybe the string size is a limiting factor?? Uli Jon Roth has his 6 octave Sky guitar and runs the fretboard all the way up to the bridge pickup. Uli is the man.
Yeah, it is. The problem is getting open notes tuned that high quickly becomes a trade-off between really thin strings (which break easily) and higher tension (which makes strings break more easily). Gary Goodman was selling strings that he claimed were good up to a high A for a while (probably still is), using a combination of a thinner string and a special alloy, but the guys I've talked to who tried them have told me that breakage was still a big problem (they were better than, say, a D'addario .07 tuned to A, but not much), and Gary Goodman has a reputation for being kind of hard to deal with and possessive over the extended range concept.

Besides, for whatever reason I'd rather tune down than up. It's not even the low chugging so much (which is fun, of course) - you can play an "open" E in the 5th position on a 7, and the 10th on an 8 (maybe a low F on the 6th and 11th would be a better example, of course), meaning by just moving up the neck you're able to cover ranges within a single position that would be impossible on a six, so you sort of indirectly get the ability to go higher by tuning lower, anyway. For me, that's the main attraction of extended range instruments.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 08:20 AM

As others have noted, they've been around for quite a while (fairly standard in the Jazz world) but I think the 'fad' part comes in when a certain sort of person gets so enamored with the theoretical aspects of extended range that they conveniently overlook they're otherwise awful players with 6 strings and the addition of more strings will just be more strings they fail at. The internet and its endless theorizing and gear-research has really put a lot of wind in the sails of these guys.

Guitar is one of those things that suffers from a weird inversion where there are vastly more theorists and instrument-academics than there are competent practitioners. Guys who buy ERG's because they need them based on their musical ideas outstripping the 6 available strings of a normal guitar (ie, Yamandu Costa) are a different species from guys who buy them because of what they imagine they can do with one but in reality can not do.

Tags
stop erg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode