why no Mass produced chrome JS ? - Jemsite
Comments to Ibanez Here is your chance to post your comments to Ibanez. Officially this topic is NOT endorsed, approved or monitored by Ibanez/Hoshino. That said, voice your opinion anyway. Please be courteous.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Question why no Mass produced chrome JS ?

Now we all know the pitfalls of the JS10 finish and the cost to the end user, and we've all seen the JS2PRM which in my opinion being Aluminium powder coated is Uber soft (like lead) why oh why dont Ibanez use the "chromeFX" or similar system to mass produce the chromeboy. Hell that would be an immense seller , finsh would be as good lookin as real chrome and and fraction of the price to achieve and going by past examples a more stable finish , well just as stable as any other finish tbh.
Seems good buisness sense to do bearing in mind the number of JS owners getting it done on their own guitars.

Just Wondered why Ibanez dont see the Light ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 04:53 PM

Re: why no Mass produced chrome JS ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApOsTle View Post
Now we all know the pitfalls of the JS10 finish and the cost to the end user, and we've all seen the JS2PRM which in my opinion being Aluminium powder coated is Uber soft (like lead) why oh why dont Ibanez use the "chromeFX" or similar system to mass produce the chromeboy. Hell that would be an immense seller , finsh would be as good lookin as real chrome and and fraction of the price to achieve and going by past examples a more stable finish , well just as stable as any other finish tbh.
Seems good buisness sense to do bearing in mind the number of JS owners getting it done on their own guitars.

I really don't think there is a market for making a mass production of the chromeboy. Well, it may depend on what the list price would be in the end.

Regards

André

post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettouhi View Post
I really don't think there is a market for making a mass production of the chromeboy. Well, it may depend on what the list price would be in the end.

Regards

André
well with that sort of process it should list for not alot more that the js1200, maybe a little more but the price for the JS10 was HUGE because of the chroming process. ChromeFX or similar finishing is a fraction of the price.
post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 07:28 AM

Quote:
well with that sort of process it should list for not alot more that the js1200, maybe a little more but the price for the JS10 was HUGE because of the chroming process. ChromeFX or similar finishing is a fraction of the price.
Really!

Regards

André

post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 07:34 AM

Because its an expensive and difficult process.

That therefore drives the price up, making it kinda pointless to mass-produce it.

Do I think there should be more research into a better/easier chrome finish? Yes.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:

That's the age old question. It is a mystery... Check out this thread I posted. That was one of the first threads I posted once I became a member of jemsite.

The fact that there is no production model of the chrome JS, really bugs me, too.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51403

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettouhi View Post

Regards

André
I'm going to post a poll about that! Then we'll see if it would sell or not. As will Ibanez...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.godfather View Post
Because its an expensive and difficult process.

That therefore drives the price up, making it kinda pointless to mass-produce it.

Do I think there should be more research into a better/easier chrome finish? Yes.
Now check out this chromed Darth vader.

Look at all the curves and shapes... It's tremendously complex. And yet the manufacturers succeeded in doing it flawlessly. And they made a boatload of these.

So why does Ibanez have problems with chroming the JS? I mean, the JS has a lot less curves. I don't get it.

And also, just think of all the things in the average bathroom which are chromed. Shower heads, faucets, knobs... I don't get it.

Myst
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 01:12 PM

Theres nothing difficult involved in developing an affordable, durable chrome finish. From an engineering standpoint its childs-play, astronomically more difficult problems are solved every day in every industry you can think of.

Ibanez could do it if they wanted. I guess theyre just happy enough to leave it for high priced limited editions.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 01:40 PM

That may very well be true.

It's weird that they don't produce it as production model.

Myst
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo_child View Post
Theres nothing difficult involved in developing an affordable, durable chrome finish. From an engineering standpoint its childs-play, astronomically more difficult problems are solved every day in every industry you can think of.

Ibanez could do it if they wanted. I guess theyre just happy enough to leave it for high priced limited editions.
That may be true, which is another weird decision of Ibanez. When they sell 500 JS2PRMs or JS10ths, they earn like, $ 2.500.000. But when they have it in their catalogue they'll probably earn way more than that, selling chromeboys.

Just like the JEM20th: if they made more than 500 available, they would sell more than 500.

I'm not a business man. There probably is a reason for all this, but I don't have a clue what it is.

Myst
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo_child View Post

it's child's play when you're chroming metal. They run into a bit of a problem when

A) trying to chrome a guitar that's made of wood or luthite - they're both non-conductive.

B) applying that finish while changing the instrument's tone as little as possible.
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 06:52 AM

They might. But at the same time Joe Satriani has tons and tons of chromeboys.

So what's the big deal? Joe's guitars may have a few imperfections, but who cares about that? Those are the guitars he plays, and everybody loves them. Why don't they just make the guitar he plays available? Why does it have to be perfect? I mean, who cares about a couple of imperfections? It only looks cool.

Myst

Last edited by Myst and rain; 01-23-2007 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Added a color.
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS View Post
it's child's play when you're chroming metal. They run into a bit of a problem when

A) trying to chrome a guitar that's made of wood or luthite - they're both non-conductive.

B) applying that finish while changing the instrument's tone as little as possible.
You obviously didnt take the time to fully read/understand my 4 sentence post.
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myst and rain View Post
They might. But at the same time Joe Satriani has tons and tons of chromeboys.
I think Rich mentioned he is at his 6th Chromeboy now.

Regards

André

post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 05:20 PM

His 6th?????? That's not a lot. But he's been playing chromeboys for nearly two decades? And in all that time he only owned six? Wow...

I wonder what Tak Hosino could tell us about this particular subject (the fact that there is no chrome production model JS)?

Myst
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 12:01 AM

Reviews: 18

Myst, that would be his 6th JS2PRM alone. The original JS2's Joe has, he no longer plays them on tour for fear of them being stolen like pearly.

I would love it if Ibanez released a regular production model of the chromeboy but, that's just not going to happen. The chromeboy defines Joe as a guitar player and maybe Ibanez wants to keep his guitar somewhat exclusive. Sometimes it is hard to understand a company's marketing logic, especially when it comes to guitars.

Jimmy

Last edited by jb4674; 01-24-2007 at 08:45 AM.

Tags
clear coat , custom shop , joe satriani , paf joe , production model , sims custom , sims custom shop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode