Why are the Premium models better looking than the Prestige? - Page 2 - Jemsite
Comments to Ibanez Here is your chance to post your comments to Ibanez. Officially this topic is NOT endorsed, approved or monitored by Ibanez/Hoshino. That said, voice your opinion anyway. Please be courteous.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 04:50 PM

Re: Why are the Premium models better looking than the Prestige?

I'm curious exactly what it is you're expecting/looking for? You don't want black, blue, white, or any "embarrassing 80's neons". You do like the quilt/flame tops but don't want a cheap veneer. But you don't want to pay J-custom prices. Well, what other guitar manufacturers are selling high end true quilt top / flame top guitars for around $1k? Ernie Ball, EVH, Fender, Gibson, Suhr, PRS, even Carvin all sell such guitars for around $3k +/-... Pretty close to what Iby wants for a J-custom.

Don't get me wrong, I love those rich colored figured tops too! But it sounds like you're wanting a really high end guitar for a mid-range price. That's fine, we would all like the best for not a lot of $$ but I don't see how your grievance against Ibanez specifically holds much water... If you want a top-end guitar made from top-end materials that isn't a "fake" (i.e. veneer, and/or made in a satellite factory such as Indo or Korea), you're going to pay more than $1k. Plain and simple.

If you have a really specific idea for what you want, rather than bitch at Ibanez about it, maybe you should just have a custom done to your specs? There are plenty of custom shops around that can either refinish your existing RG or custom make you one to virtually exact Ibanez specs for between $1-2k.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 07:49 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7vwh View Post
You're still somehow missing the part where this thread is explicitly about Prestiges NOT wildly expensive J-Customs.

Look at the Prestige line:
3550 - black
3250 - white or day-glo orange
3520 - dark blue or black
3521 - black
2627 - black
2228 - black or white

Those are pathetic choices for $1000+ guitars.

Yes, the Edge Zero is deficient compared to the Edge and Lo Pro Edge, and I've definitely joined the list of folks encouraging Ibanez to pay the $14 per guitar and return to their better tech.
What makes it deficient??

I think a lot would be cleared up here if you were to explain what features you want to see in a Prestige (specifically), and at what price point you'd be willing to dive in. Then folks would have something to agree with you on.

FWIW..... most of the premiums area good buy. I think that's why they're being pushed in the direction they are.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 10:11 AM

Reviews: 11

You can buy brand new EBMMs for 1400-1800 that are american made and come with real tops and interesting colors. Ibanez really has nothing to compete in that price range. The rg3000s are great guitars of course, but thefinish options are severely limited.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 10:15 AM

If premiums didn't have those nice looking tops, they couldn't replace low end prestiges. This is pretty much a tactic for selling it. But well, I don't like the colours of Ibanez nowadays. They've gotta do more white, a lot more maple tops and more nitrocellulose instead of the thick paints they are using. Baswood may not be so beautiful looking, but hey still, they'd look nice with some special colours or graphics on them. Black colour never gets old but, it is just not enough.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 11:55 AM

Talking Re: Why are the Premium models better looking than the Prestige?

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
You can buy brand new EBMMs for 1400-1800 that are american made and come with real tops and interesting colors. Ibanez really has nothing to compete in that price range. The rg3000s are great guitars of course, but thefinish options are severely limited.
Hey Penguin! I've seen EBMM'S used go in this range, but new even the axis was over $2k with a list around $2800 from what I remember. And that was their "generic" continuation of their EVH model. The actual sig models with figured tops (EVH, JP, AL, etc) were all in the $3k range new, with lists closer to $4k.

So while I totally agree you can find these used in the range you described I was trying to compare apples to apple by talking new prices. After all I've even seen J-customs under $2k used so I didn't think that was what we were debating...
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
What makes it deficient??

I think a lot would be cleared up here if you were to explain what features you want to see in a Prestige (specifically), and at what price point you'd be willing to dive in. Then folks would have something to agree with you on.

FWIW..... most of the premiums area good buy. I think that's why they're being pushed in the direction they are.

The Edge Zero ought to be an excellent design. But it doesn't feel right, the range on pull-ups is limited, and tuning stability isn't as strong. The 4 or 5 units I've tried tended to stay sharp on pullups and flat on dive bombs. The fine tuners are not very good. And the route for the unit is enormous--takes out way too much wood. Surely I'm not the only one who's noticed this stuff.
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
Absolutely agreed. EBMMs are gorgeous. If I didn't find their necks too cramped, I'd probably be looking at them too.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfssdude View Post
I'm curious exactly what it is you're expecting/looking for? You don't want black, blue, white, or any "embarrassing 80's neons". You do like the quilt/flame tops but don't want a cheap veneer.
I think you've confused me with some of the other responders. I don't think there's anything wrong with black, white, and blue--I think it's a huge mistake for Ibanez to sell ONLY those colors in what should be their bread-and-butter range. And frankly, even blue is kinda rare. Most of the prestige range is black only. I'm calling for Ibanez to offer COLOR. You know, red, green, blue, purple, orange, yellow? Metallics are cool, so are pearls.

I have no problem with veneers either. Some of my favorite MIJ Ibanez guitars have veneers. Here's my personal collection:

The blue RG and the green S are MIJ with flamed maple veneers. There is absolutely nothing like them for sale in Ibanez's current range. Hell, you can't even get simple Lipstick Red like you see on my RG560. My options, if I want a modern replacement, are incredibly boring MIJ Prestige, flashy but inferior Premiums, or insanely overpriced J-Customs.
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 12:53 PM
Vendor

Quote:
The Edge Zero ought to be an excellent design. But it doesn't feel right, the range on pull-ups is limited, and tuning stability isn't as strong. The 4 or 5 units I've tried tended to stay sharp on pullups and flat on dive bombs. The fine tuners are not very good. And the route for the unit is enormous--takes out way too much wood. Surely I'm not the only one who's noticed this stuff.
Maybe you're going on old memories and it's time for you to actually try one setup, and with the ZPS out.

Anytime a bridge is first released it has plenty of bugs. Don't get me started on Edge Pro bugs!!

The EZ [lubed] stays in tune as well as any of the Edge's [lubed], it feel like a Lo Pro, has all the pullup range of one, and has the torque adjustment for the bar most have asked for. The fine tuners are as they should be now, although I'd like a little more knurl on them like a LP FT, but it's much better. My biggest EZ complaint is they did away with the steel saddle lockdown plate and there are some sub part metallurgical batch trems out there that strip those threads. The rout is the rout, the intonation bolt and Japanese logic is the reasoning, not that I agree.
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Why are the Premium models better looking than the Prestige?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Maybe you're going on old memories and it's time for you to actually try one setup, and with the ZPS out.

Anytime a bridge is first released it has plenty of bugs. Don't get me started on Edge Pro bugs!!

The EZ [lubed] stays in tune as well as any of the Edge's [lubed], it feel like a Lo Pro, has all the pullup range of one, and has the torque adjustment for the bar most have asked for. The fine tuners are as they should be now, although I'd like a little more knurl on them like a LP FT, but it's much better. My biggest EZ complaint is they did away with the steel saddle lockdown plate and there are some sub part metallurgical batch trems out there that strip those threads. The rout is the rout, the intonation bolt and Japanese logic is the reasoning, not that I agree.
You certainly see a lot more of them than I do. If you say the new ones are up to snuff, I'll give them another try
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 02:29 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
You certainly see a lot more of them than I do. If you say the new ones are up to snuff, I'll give them another try
Rich beat me to it, but the EZ/EZ2 really do play and feel well with a good setup and maintenance. I prefer them over the Edge-Pro for feel. As Rich said, they're just as stable as an OE/LP.

I DO have to give it to you on the bath-tub route......... it's hideous, but it's the same on a Prestige. You'll be getting it no matter what you choose to play.
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
I think you've confused me with some of the other responders. I don't think there's anything wrong with black, white, and blue--I think it's a huge mistake for Ibanez to sell ONLY those colors in what should be their bread-and-butter range. And frankly, even blue is kinda rare. Most of the prestige range is black only. I'm calling for Ibanez to offer COLOR. You know, red, green, blue, purple, orange, yellow? Metallics are cool, so are pearls.

I have no problem with veneers either. Some of my favorite MIJ Ibanez guitars have veneers. Here's my personal collection:

The blue RG and the green S are MIJ with flamed maple veneers. There is absolutely nothing like them for sale in Ibanez's current range. Hell, you can't even get simple Lipstick Red like you see on my RG560. My options, if I want a modern replacement, are incredibly boring MIJ Prestige, flashy but inferior Premiums, or insanely overpriced J-Customs.
I gotcha. I misunderstood I guess...

Yes I agree that the MIJ options are pretty boring these days. Even if they just offered the color/finish options they already do on lower end Iby's but on quality MIJ models there would be a lot more to choose from. I certainly miss the 80's though, which offered not only "embarrassing neons" (which I LOVE btw) but metallics and a whole slew of less "loud" colors.

Honestly I think it's kind of a sign of the times though. For whatever reason black is "cool" right now... Just look at cars! All of a sudden every car has black trim and black rims... High end cars are "murdered out" with black on black on black... I don't know why black has become so "cool" but I agree that it gets boring.
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 01:00 AM

Thumbs up Re: Why are the Premium models better looking than the Prestige?

I like the look of both and feel the premiums had a good start with the quilted tops for just starting up and that the prestiges have some interesting colors but alot tend to be black which is a big con for me. what i would like to see is new color and designs which haven't been done before in the prestige line up and maybe the premiums going with something thats not very common like a flake.
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzUniverze View Post
I like the look of both and feel the premiums had a good start with the quilted tops for just starting up and that the prestiges have some interesting colors but alot tend to be black which is a big con for me. what i would like to see is new color and designs which haven't been done before in the prestige line up and maybe the premiums going with something thats not very common like a flake.
Black and white are the in-thing right now supposedly. What I woudnt do for a candy apple or violet metallic HSS Ibby with ZPS...
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 05:04 PM

What model is the blue flame. I had one from 1992 in mint condition and sold it in 2006-2008 ish. I thought it was a RG570 FMB but can't find any info on it at all. Really want it or one again lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode