Why are the Premium models better looking than the Prestige? - Jemsite
Comments to Ibanez Here is your chance to post your comments to Ibanez. Officially this topic is NOT endorsed, approved or monitored by Ibanez/Hoshino. That said, voice your opinion anyway. Please be courteous.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5
Why are the Premium models better looking than the Prestige?

Everyone around here knows that color has been a major complaint with Ibanez for at least 2 decades now. Ever since grunge hit, Ibanez has been pushing an avalanch of black, grey, dark grey, dark red, and dark blue guitars. We've complained and Ibanez has (mostly) given us the finger.

But now, Ibanez is offering gorgeous looking trans maple finishes! That's the good news. The bad news is that those finishes are available on the sub-par Premium line models with inferior tremolos, flabby neck profiles, and questionable build quality.

Please. PLEASE, start offering a variety of color options (not just black and embarrasing 80s neons) on your MIJ Prestige offerings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 10:57 PM

Re: Why are the Premium models better looking than the Prestige?

I don't think anyone would be pleased or in acceptance of cheap veneer finishes on MIJ Prestige level instruments...NO thank you.

Its low end eye candy,not real tops and looks exactly what it is.....cheap.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 11:14 PM

they offer it in Japan.

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/pag...1&series_id=30
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 05:36 AM

That is a real top,4mm thick......theres a difference.
Its what the cheap guitar you speak of is trying look like....quality.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey j grieve View Post
I don't think anyone would be pleased or in acceptance of cheap veneer finishes on MIJ Prestige level instruments...NO thank you.

Its low end eye candy,not real tops and looks exactly what it is.....cheap.
Not only are you not in the position to speak for everyone, but you completely missed my point. Veneer or not, it's disappointing that the cheap Indo junk looks better than the Prestige line.

Ibanez, it's time to break out of the 90s. Stop finishing everything in black, grey, dark red, and dark blue. And no, embarrassing 80s neon reissues are not good enough.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 02:53 PM
Vendor

I'm sorry, but, what was it about these you didn't like?

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7vwh View Post
Not only are you not in the position to speak for everyone, but you completely missed my point. Veneer or not, it's disappointing that the cheap Indo junk looks better than the Prestige line.

Ibanez, it's time to break out of the 90s. Stop finishing everything in black, grey, dark red, and dark blue. And no, embarrassing 80s neon reissues are not good enough.
you're not in tHe position to speak for everyone either, which you seem to be doing. Cool your jets.

You think the premiums look great, others think they look cheap. Proof positive that you don't speak for everyone. Furthermore, not everyone would think that the neon finishes are embarrassing, especially next to the single stain veneers you see on some of the premiums...

Everyone's mileage varies. Youre making some valid points, but please bear in mind that yours is not the only opinion.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
you're not in tHe position to speak for everyone either, which you seem to be doing. Cool your jets.

You think the premiums look great, others think they look cheap. Proof positive that you don't speak for everyone. Furthermore, not everyone would think that the neon finishes are embarrassing, especially next to the single stain veneers you see on some of the premiums...

Everyone's mileage varies. Youre making some valid points, but please bear in mind that yours is not the only opinion.
Jono, I never claimed to speak for everyone. I'm making my opinion known to the company-the color selection is incredibly limited on the Prestige line. And while some people may like the neon colors and 80s throwbacks, there's a very good reason why you don't see anyone noteworthy playing them. Even if you personally like them, I would hope you can agree that the majority of people out there are going to see a nuclear orange RG or green S and think, "wow, hair metal. That's lame." or something similar.

And yeah, Rich, the J-Customs are gorgeous. Too bad this thread has nothing to do with J-Customs. I shouldn't have to drop 3 grand to get a non-black, non-embarrassing finish on my guitar. I'm simply calling on Ibanez to actually make the Prestige guitars look better than the Premiums.

The total lack of decent finishes and the sub-par Edge Zero are the two reasons why I've bought several new guitars in the last few years, but none of them were Ibanez.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 03:11 PM
Vendor

If you're asking for colors they've been giving you colors. If you're not buying because of the EZ, then it wouldn't matter if they gave you the rainbow, you aren't going to buy it anyway. So what's your point?
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 03:12 PM

I love those "embarrassing 80s Neon" colors. I have a bunch of them and 2 of them are Pink! I'm man enough to play a pink guitar I'm sure a lot of people want more color options, but give it some time. It will happen.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 03:17 PM

Have you even played with the edge zero and zero 2 trems? They are great. If you know how to take care of your stuff and set it up, it will last you a good while . Mine held up great through these last few tours. They went through a ton of climate changes. From hot ass Texas, all the way through Cold ass Washington. In and out of clubs and the trailer. As a matter of fact, I only had to tune those guitars a few times during 2 months. I had to tune my Lo Pro trem( PGM300) more than the Edge Zeros....
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 12:58 PM

Uh, I like the gold flakes in the 2550Z GW and GK, and the 3250 Orange is nice too. I do agree that Ibanez needs to be a little more original with the colors they offer (when is the last time they released a nice candy apple over here? I havent seen one listed in Japan for ages) but not all Prestiges look bad. While I dont like alot of the designs on the Prems, they arent terrible guitars by any stretch of the imagination. I have a 350EXZ (which is a standard rg, not prem) and I am happy with that guitar. Just because it's indo doesnt mean its trash. I do prefer MIJs but I wont knock a prem if it has the sound I want.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I'm sorry, but, what was it about these you didn't like?

certainly nothing I dont like about those ,whats this guy on about ,if you dont like the guitar dont buy it.

and about the cheaper guitars ,they gotta look good to sell dude.

why dont you but a guitar with the stuff on it that you like and have it custom painted.

just a thought .
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
If you're asking for colors they've been giving you colors. If you're not buying because of the EZ, then it wouldn't matter if they gave you the rainbow, you aren't going to buy it anyway. So what's your point?
You're still somehow missing the part where this thread is explicitly about Prestiges NOT wildly expensive J-Customs.

Look at the Prestige line:
3550 - black
3250 - white or day-glo orange
3520 - dark blue or black
3521 - black
2627 - black
2228 - black or white

Those are pathetic choices for $1000+ guitars.

Yes, the Edge Zero is deficient compared to the Edge and Lo Pro Edge, and I've definitely joined the list of folks encouraging Ibanez to pay the $14 per guitar and return to their better tech.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 12:14 AM
Vendor

I'll be the first to admit that this year is lean on exotic colors, but the last several years have seen plenty, and all of them had one commonality. They didn't sell enough to keep around.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode