3 hour routine - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

3 hour routine

What does everyone thing of this routine im gonna try and do. I've got my gcses this year so this is about as much as i can do.

15 mins warm up
1 hour alternate picking
20 mins scales
20 mins legato
20 mins sweeping
20 mins licks
15 mins Rhythm
15 mins learn something new, study piece, song, solo etc

then i'd jam and play till whenever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 07:59 PM

Re: 3 hour routine

just play lots of songs , you will learn heaps more than playing 20 mins rythm and licks and as for alternate picking use that when you play stuff, its not a bad routine but you have to ask yourself what you want to achieve . 15 mins trying to learn a song solo whatever isnt going to be enough to get your fingers to remember where to go .

just ny 2 cents and i know many wont agree but thats what i did for years and i just pull riffs and switch them around to what i want .. theres nothing like a musical thief
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 11:40 PM

when i practice i do an 45min-hour of each-legato, picking with metronome, sweeping, tapping, then i play rhythem with songsh
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezial View Post
just play lots of songs , you will learn heaps more than playing 20 mins rythm and licks and as for alternate picking use that when you play stuff, its not a bad routine but you have to ask yourself what you want to achieve . 15 mins trying to learn a song solo whatever isnt going to be enough to get your fingers to remember where to go .

just ny 2 cents and i know many wont agree but thats what i did for years and i just pull riffs and switch them around to what i want .. theres nothing like a musical thief
+1 and it's not so boring
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 08:04 AM

i wonder which one of them wil help you develop your "feeling"..

used to do 6hrs daily but now.. rarely 1 hr lol must get fired up again like u guys here...!!!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekuss View Post
What does everyone thing of this routine im gonna try and do. I've got my gcses this year so this is about as much as i can do.

15 mins warm up
1 hour alternate picking
20 mins scales
20 mins legato
20 mins sweeping
20 mins licks
15 mins Rhythm
15 mins learn something new, study piece, song, solo etc

then i'd jam and play till whenever.
that sounds good to me mate, I reckon that your warm-up and general practice changes as you progress as a guitarist anyway, so if thats right for you now... do it...

Im just doing loads of alternate picking and scales myself - trying to make up for a lack of technique from day 1...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 01:59 PM

If it's daily, you are going to get burned out on guitar, very quickly. As much as you love it, and as good a thing as practicing is, too much of it is going to make you hate it.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 10:56 PM

Yes, practising all the time will get you burn out, often you need to play more than you practice,
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkenn5 View Post
i wonder which one of them wil help you develop your "feeling"..

used to do 6hrs daily but now.. rarely 1 hr lol must get fired up again like u guys here...!!!

improvising helps the most and the music you listen to. if you have good taste you can probably improv alright.
to get fired try some new music
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 05:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRAShred View Post
when i practice i do an 45min-hour of each-legato, picking with metronome, sweeping, tapping, then i play rhythem with songsh
yeah i would do that but my time is limited cos i have my GCSEs this year and i will need to revise and etc.
I find if i dont practice technique it goes away very quickly and i do enjoy myself when i play excerises and stuff but prehaps i could do technique one day and something creative the next. What do you think about that?
Thank you for the tips, i've been playing for about 4 years but i now know what genre i want to be able to play the best so im not to sure on how to sort out practice time.
Benzial, yeah i know its not alot of time for each thing is just that way i'll be practicing everything.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 10:35 PM

How about adding some chord workout? Maybe some real book standard a day
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 11:20 PM

Chord is good, I've met many who can shred to pieces but no chord knowledge which is bad, you can't play in a band if you don't have a chord knowledge
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 06:05 AM Thread Starter

thanks for all the tips, yeah i know like 7ths 9ths and stuff like that, maybe i should look into some theory?

Tags
alternate picking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode