7-string Scales: Major/minor - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

5Likes
  • 1 Post By Formerly Given To Fly
  • 1 Post By FireEagle
  • 1 Post By FireEagle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

7-string Scales: Major/minor

These two scale patterns are major and minor scales starting with the tonic (C) on the 7th string, peaking with the tonic (C) on the 1st string, and covering 3 full octaves in the process. They are not 6-string major and minor scale patterns with the reachable key-related notes filled in on the 7th string.

Things to keep in mind:
- The major scale pattern ascends/descends in slightly different ways.
- In both scales, a "shift" will be needed on the 3rd string whenever there are 4 notes in a row. I would recommend using your 1st finger because it is the most accurate, but feel free to experiment.

The scales are written at the 1st fret because that keeps the tablature simple. Once memorized, they can be played anywhere on the fretboard. When used as relative major/minor scales (E Major - 5th fret, C# minor - 2nd fret), these two patterns cover nearly every note for both keys across the first 12 frets (and the last 12 frets).

If these scales are helpful, please use them.
Attached Images
File Type: png 7-String_Scales-1.png (300.4 KB, 37 views)
FireEagle likes this.

Last edited by Formerly Given To Fly; 04-16-2018 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Less words
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 09:22 AM

Re: 7-string Scales: Major/minor

I just played a 7 string for the first time at the local music store last week... Made me realize how much I rely on scale shapes and took a bit of thinking to apply them to the low B string. I never really wanted a 7-string until I started listening to more modern progressive/instrumental metal (Sithu Aye, Distant Dream, etc.) in the last couple of months. Definitely a different animal, but not as intimidating as I thought it would be. Would like to pick up a cheap 7-string to fool around with... Thanks for posting those!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
I just played a 7 string for the first time at the local music store last week... Made me realize how much I rely on scale shapes and took a bit of thinking to apply them to the low B string. I never really wanted a 7-string until I started listening to more modern progressive/instrumental metal (Sithu Aye, Distant Dream, etc.) in the last couple of months. Definitely a different animal, but not as intimidating as I thought it would be. Would like to pick up a cheap 7-string to fool around with... Thanks for posting those!
Musicians have to rely on knowledge of patterns/shapes in order to play their instrument. Understanding that knowledge and how to use it (or change it) to meet your needs is beyond the scope of my scale sheet, but ultimately, it involves relying on what you know. The best jazz players are not learning how to play their instrument on stage. They already know what it can do and what they can do with it.

The first time a person plays a 7-string/8-string/ukulele/etc. a tremendous amount of thinking is going on because the brain and fingers are trying to relate the familiar with the unfamiliar. Most people do not think like this in real time, but that is what is happening.

What guitar(s) do you play now?
FireEagle likes this.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
Musicians have to rely on knowledge of patterns/shapes in order to play their instrument. Understanding that knowledge and how to use it (or change it) to meet your needs is beyond the scope of my scale sheet, but ultimately, it involves relying on what you know. The best jazz players are not learning how to play their instrument on stage. They already know what it can do and what they can do with it.

The first time a person plays a 7-string/8-string/ukulele/etc. a tremendous amount of thinking is going on because the brain and fingers are trying to relate the familiar with the unfamiliar. Most people do not think like this in real time, but that is what is happening.

What guitar(s) do you play now?

I just play standard 6-string guitars, but in a few common tunings... Std, Eb, Drop D, and Drop Db. Still requires a little thought with the dropped low E string tunings, but you get used to some chord/scale shapes that work with them. I've messed around with DADGAD for a couple of songs in the past and such, but 99% of the time just play standard E and Eb.

Picking up the 7-string wasn't too bad once I realized that you have a reference of the relation of the high E and B strings and apply it on the other side of the fretboard. Still takes some getting used to though... not to mention the physical aspects of the wide fretboard, like wrapping your thumb around to catch the lowest string like I do for a few inside chords. Seemed to require a little different fret hand position... like holding the neck up higher to get my fingers to lay across the fretboard, even if just to mute that 7th string when not playing it.

I would definitely like to pick up a 7-string someday, but have my hands full just trying to get better on a 6-string. It's amazing to watch someone really talented get around on a 7 or 8-string guitar.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 02:45 AM Thread Starter

Cool! To a certain extent, guitars are guitars regardless of string count. However, if your 6-strings are all boutique instruments, it might be hard to get the full experience from a $199 7-string. You do not need to go back to the beginning. In fact, you probably shouldn’t. Instead, get a guitar similar in quality to your other ones to get the most out of the experience.
FireEagle likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 10:54 AM

I have a few decent guitars, but nothing boutique... unless a JS1200 is boutique, but I got it used for a good price. A 76 Les Paul, 89 540s, 99 RG520qs, SZ320... plus a couple of old Roadstars, mostly middle of the road but decent quality guitars. I suppose there can be a lot of difference between 7-string necks and I've only played one. I was looking into entry level 7-strings and read comments about Ibanez necks being thin and Schecter being thick. The ESP M-17 is in the middle of the two, so I may look into one of them. New they are cheap, used they are a steal... MIK, so maybe better than the China/Indo entry level 7's? I don't know how much I would end up playing one, so it's hard to justify spending a lot. Any that I should avoid or lean toward?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
I don't know how much I would end up playing one, so it's hard to justify spending a lot. Any that I should avoid or lean toward?
A used Ibanez RG7620 is a good guitar. If you want to figure out how much you like 7-string guitars, a used 7620 is a reliable way to do that. The way I see it, if you like it, you have a good guitar. If you do not like it, you still have a good guitar. There is no "beating around the bush" or "upgrading" required and you can actually sell it should you decide 7-strings are not for you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode