Advanced Tapping Tutorial - beyond Eruption - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5
Advanced Tapping Tutorial - beyond Eruption

As we begin I'm going to start by saying that before we start, you should have read through the tapping tutorials posted here and should be familiar with basic ideas of tapping (ie. *Eruption, Van Halen style).

One question students often ask is how to incorporate tapping inside their music, and different patterns to use.

Patterns
-----------

A great way to begin learning how to integrate tapping into your playing is to use old progressions with a twist. *For instance, try using old pentatonic blues runs with a pedal tone tapped above. *Like this:

[font=courier]
e-t12-5-8------------------------
B---------t12-5-8----------------
G-----------------t12-5-7--------
D-------------------------t12-5-7
A--------------------------------
E--------------------------------
[/font]

Another step you can take to make your tapping more complex is to add a little more movement before you even begin tapping. *Look at the way I've augmented that original Van Halen sounding phrase here:

[font=courier]
e-5-7-8-t12-8-5-----------------------------
B---------------t12-5-8---------------------
G----------------------4-5-7-t12-7-5--------
D------------------------------------t12-5-7
A-------------------------------------------
E-------------------------------------------
[/font]

Just as above, I've stuck with a pentatonic choice of notes, but this time, I've included a little legato before I begin my tapping, and I reverse motion twice. *This back and forth change of motion creates tension in your solos (ie. *Drop Dead Legs and House of Pain on VH's 1984 album).

Also be aware of the stylistic feeling that your tapping creates. *Artists like Van Halen and Rhodes often left their left hands fairly stationary or in a pattern while the right hand moves, creating a sound like a pedal tone in classical piece (hence the classical feel of the tapped passages in Eruption). *Other artists, notably Steve Vai tend to keep their left hand moving. *If you keep your left hand moving while your tapping hand plays a uniform pattern, you can achieve a kind of counterpoint sound much as one would if they were playing piano. *By keeping both hands working more fluidly and closely, you can achieve more of a smooth rolling sound like a horn or orchestral sounds (ie. Vai's Liberty and solo to Answers during G3). *Experiment with ideas that begin close together with the tapping hand moving farther away to create tension. * Like this:

[font=courier]
e-----------t15-12-13-t17-8-5----------------
B-t15-12-13-------------------t17-8-5--------
G-------------------------------------t16-7-5
D--------------------------------------------
A--------------------------------------------
E--------------------------------------------
[/font]

Other ideas
--------------
Innovation often comes by accident, so try to reserve time for fooling around with this stuff. *You may find little things you never new. *For instance, if you bar your index finger across the 1st fret, you can slap your tapping finger over the 8th fret and achieve a nice natural harmonic.

Here's another one. *Reach over your frethand and bar the strings with your right hand. *Just using your legato strength, vibrate the strings and run trills up the fretboard keeping in mind you can use your barred right hand as a low root note. *Like this:
[font=courier]
e-15-12-t8-17-13-t8-15-12-t8-19-15-t8-20
B
G
D
A
E
[/font]

Lastly, don't forget to use wide interval stretched (just because you can tap doesn't mean you shouldn't work on left hand flexability) and string skipping. *For more on wide intervals and string-skipping in tapping, watch this week for the next lesson: *How to play the solo to "Juice"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 12:29 PM

Advanced Tapping Tutorial

Just wanted to thank you for the excellent lessons you have posted. *You write in a complete yet simple to follow format. *Also, I have been working on Pachebell's Canon--it has been a great sweeping exercise.

Thanks again... hope you keep the lessons coming :^)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

You're welcome. *As you might imagine, anytime you find yourself explaining something to someone else, you have to first understand it as completely as possible yourself. *So in that way, becoming an e-teacher has made me a better musician. *Additionally, if there's anything you guys really want to see, let me know and I'll work on it. *Next up is the solo from Juice, and after that Justin (sixtstringphoenix)'s rendition of Brahm's Lullabye which is more string skipping and tapping.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 02:06 PM

Solo from Juice? I really need to work on that. How bout the solo from Bad Horsie too? :shocked: For now I'll go back to dreaming of multi-finger tapping....

-Justin
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 02:21 PM

Looking forward to the juice tutorial, that is a wicked tune...one of my favorites but I have found it really difficult to get a handle on all of the little nuances that are littered throughout the tune...without them it sort of goes flat. *But that will come with familiarity and confidence.

I was wondering if it would be possible for you to post some additional "vai-ish" sounding tapping runs and patterns. *I am not a good tapper, and have had difficulty in just finding stuff that sounded interesting to practice. *Eruption type stuff really doesn't interest me that much, but the types of things that vai does are really very interesting and musical. *
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

I guess that's really the difference between Vai's stuff and VH etc. *With Van Halen it's like OK, IT'S TIME TO SOLO AND PLAY A TAPPING RUN since that's basically all Edward does. *Vai's stuff is much more integrated into his playing and it's either very modal/musical, or it's just some strange noise. *I'll give examples of both.

The solo to Juice works in my opinion because it makes use of some trickery (ie tapping and artificial harmonics) but it's also played at a pretty damn fast speed and it works very well within the confines of the song. *

This solo works with the tension/release idea I discussed first. The first bars of the big tapping run have the left hand in the 5th position and the tapping hand in the 12th. *The distance between them creates tension that pushes the music towards resolution. *By the end of the run, the frethand is in the 15th position with the tapping hand. *It finishes with a (for lack of a better word) happy sounding trill and the song rocks back into it's fun rhythm. *But what makes the solo soo cool is that build up. *The great rush of speed and the race up the frets and finally when the two hands come together it gives you that resolution. * *To me that's very modal and musical. *Kind of like a story with music. *The other kind is much more off kilter. *Vai also uses wide intervals in textures also. *Like in the end of the Crying Machine he taps this:
[font=courier]
e-t24-12-0
B---------
G---------
D---------
A---------
E---------
[/font]

he repeats that pattern down each of the strings. *While it's not exactly an arpeggio, it's an odd texture that both fits the music and takes it in a different direction than one more alternate picked speed lick would have.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 02:34 PM

Hey, how about the tapping part/s to the solo from "Rescue me Or Bury Me" as a lesson? Those are killer, and the multi-finger trill (at one point) I find extremely difficult.

As you can see, tapping is not my forte.

-Justin
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

I have to admit, I'm not as big a Vai fan as I might seem and I do not own Sex & Religion, so I prolly won't be able to show you that one yet
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 06:26 PM

Here's a great tapping lick that I learned at Berklee involving 1-3-5-7 triad arpeggios. Not for the faint of heart.

Don't use you're pick AT ALL, everything is hammered/pulled/tapped.

Sextuplets
-|------------------------------------------------9-12-(16)--12-9---------------------------------------------------|
-|--------------------------------------10-9-10---------------------10-9-10----------------------------------------|
-|--------------------------6-9-(13)------------------------------------------(13)-9-6------------------------------|
-|-------------------7-6-7-----------------------------------------------------------------7-6-7---------------------|
-|-------4-7-(11)-------------------------------------------------------------------------------(11)-7-4------------|
-|-5-4-5----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------5-4-5-4-|

That's the EASIER tapping I got from Dave Marton. I could post some of Lappins INSANE tapping if anyone wants it. I could even go through the whole tutorial in a seperate thread, but I'm not going to take the time if nobody cares.

(Edited by Vai is God at 5:30 pm on Aug. 29, 2001)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Quote: from Vai is God on 6:26 pm on Aug. 29, 2001
. I could post some of Lappins INSANE tapping if anyone wants it. I could even go through the whole tutorial in a seperate thread, but I'm not going to take the time if nobody cares.
dude...I care...I'd be completely stoked to get whatever tutorials you want to post!!!!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 08:35 PM

Vai is God - I definately would like you to start a topic and post these exercises you learned! Please let me know!
I am practicing your 1-3-5-7 pattern. Relative to A major of course.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 09:00 PM

Alright! I'll get to that pretty soon than! Have fun with the major 7 thing! That should keep you busy for a little while. *I like to do that right at the end of the Crazy Train solo.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 12:31 AM

Vai is God - I was practicing that 1-3-5-7 relative major run and believe it or not... I practiced it for over 2 hours without getting bored! I jsut put my guitar down minutes ago and I still want to play it!!!!

Another very useful exerise was converting that to minor (flatten 3rd and 7th by semi tone for those who don't know) and it was great aswell! Also mixolydian (just flatten 7th from original pattern)

Vai is God - I'd love to trade licks and knowledge with you! IT"S FUN!!!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 04:56 AM

thats a good one man, more my sorta style.

ps for anyone who is interested I put up some mp3s of my tapping exercises. also stanley jordan stairway tab and mp3

here
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 12:57 PM

Yeah, I practiced that one for a long time, and I was never board too! It's great fun! You can also turn it into a diminished lick, try different inversions, tap the octave or 2 instead of the 7, try different sequences, or whatever. Glad your enjoying it as much as I am!

Tags
stanley jordan , steve vai , string skipping , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode