Ibanez JEM Forum banner

AHAHAH Michael Angelo Batio

20K views 40 replies 23 participants last post by  Guitarmiester 
#1 ·

That video is hilarious :lol: My friend sent it to me because Batio is coming to my local guitar shop on the 28th and my friend is bringing me along. I hope I don't start laughing while Batio tries to be serious :lol:
does anyone here like him? I haven't really listened to his stuff because his double guitar thing seems like too much of a gimmick, idk hah

#2 ·
Oh, good ole MAB. If there's a better example of pointless shred, I don't know it. The sad thing is his songs do some times have awesome melodic themes (middle part of Speed Kills, etc) but the rest of it just happens to be the fastest playing humanly possible without sounding like a computer error message on repeat.

#4 ·
am i the only person on earth that thinks that MAB's technique is terrible? every time i hear/see him play super fast stuff, he's picking at least 2x as many notes as he's fingering. i mean, i know that lots of people dislike the guy's music and lots of people love it, but it usually seems that even the people that hate his playing applaud his ability to play that way.

#5 ·
My thought is he is very akin to Yngwie in that he is very fast, full of crappy psycho babble, an out of his mind whacko, in love with himself, a terrible songwriter, but goddamn if he doesn't just pull it off. ;)

His over the fretboard is really very good...I am not a fan but have heard enough to put my 2 cents in

#7 ·
I've met him on more than one occasion, I don't think he's in love with himself.
He's always been pretty down to earth and easy going.
I have a couple of his albums, but they don't get heavy rotation in the 'ole iPod... He actually is a pretty amazing player, but I can definitely see the other side of the coin on this. It's fun to watch though.

#20 ·
Is it just me or does it sound like he is just a fried brained guy talking about stuff he likes. I think he is right. Vsual guitar hero stuff is cool and people love that.

I mean he is wierd and all but nothing was offensive. Lighten up, do you all want to see fat guys just stand there or sit and play a whole show?

Steve vai definately doesn't and most of the people here consider him the be all and end all of guitar.

#21 ·
Steve vai definately doesn't and most of the people here consider him the be all and end all of guitar.
I consider Vai just one of the many gold medalists of the "guitar olympics" as well as just being a VERY passionate performer ;)

I thought the clip was funny. It's good to see a sense of humor from the guy, and "other" major performers should take a lesson from him on it ;)

#22 ·
Mike's a really old friend. The first clinic tour I did was with him for Randall amps wayyyy back in college. Mike knows that his thing is over the top.. but that's what pays his bills and provides his living. He's a heavily schooled jazz player and you'll hear some of that too at one of his clinics. I've seen him do the double guitar thing and then sit down and nail the changes to Misty or some other standard. He graduated from Northwestern with a degree in music and was studying jazz well before he was even in his teens.
You won't find a nicer guy and he's a great player. He does his schtick because that is what he gets paid to do. Its extremely silly and he knows up.. he just happens to have the chops and facility to pull it off and back it up without taking any of it seriously.

#35 ·
No one play so fast and so clean end of story..

But shred is not music it is a style... 2 different things.

BTW He got plenty of money from his style of shredding so i dont think he care what we say about his playing.

If ppl hated it him so much then he would be a poor guy.. he is not :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.