AI generated music - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

1Likes
  • 1 Post By jono

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

AI generated music

https://openai.com/blog/musenet/

This is an Elon Musk company that focuses on AI. MuseNet is a a deep neural network that can generate 4-minute musical compositions in the style of 10 composers/bands... I will give credit where credit is due, there are clips of about 30 seconds in which some parts sound like they could be in the style of Rachmaninov or Chopin. I imagine that was difficult to accomplish so kudos to them. For some reason, music seems to be the art of choice for machines to try to create. For example, the drum machine is like playing with a real drummer, but you arent, its a machine! I do not think creating music is the point in all of this, it seems more like a test bed. I know very little about AI but on the music front, it could use more hours in the practice room.

If there was one technological threat to musicians it was the player piano over 100 years ago. We survived.

AI will save us or enslave us. I feel like that quote captures the fringes of public thought on AI and I have heard guitarists enthusiastically think out loud about incorporating AI into amp modelers because that is what guitarists do.

What are your thoughts on AI and music? Is it productive? Convincing? Or neither of those things?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 04:10 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: AI generated music

I've always wondered if modern pop songs haven't been written and produced by AI for the last few years anyway

In terms of music, those samples could be appropriate background music on any 80s TV show so they're pretty much there as far as making listenable music. What will be interesting to see is if an AI can develop its own style of music that appeals to humans (or cats). Can an AI drummer develop its own grooves? How would it interact with other musicians, AI or human? Would an AI guitarist demand to take more than 8 bars for a solo? Would it have more hair than Joe Satriani?

I'd also love to see an AI style a car, or design a fashion collection. we just need to keep them away from fighting wars. Or borrowing clothes, boots and motorcycles.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 04:37 AM Thread Starter

Re: AI generated music

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I've always wondered if modern pop songs haven't been written and produced by AI for the last few years anyway

In terms of music, those samples could be appropriate background music on any 80s TV show so they're pretty much there as far as making listenable music. What will be interesting to see is if an AI can develop its own style of music that appeals to humans (or cats). Can an AI drummer develop its own grooves? How would it interact with other musicians, AI or human? Would an AI guitarist demand to take more than 8 bars for a solo? Would it have more hair than Joe Satriani?

I'd also love to see an AI style a car, or design a fashion collection. we just need to keep them away from fighting wars. Or borrowing clothes, boots and motorcycles.
Katy Perry was recently sued for her 2013 song "Dark Horse" which is exactly the type of song you are referring too. Apparently, it took the efforts of no less than 6 human songwriters to write it. This does not include recording or producing the song either. It lacks a "human touch" so to speak, but I'm sure AI was not involved because how do you sue artificial intelligence for copyright infringement? Would you be paid in artificial money?

If AI created its own style of music that would be interesting. MuseNet learned how to imitate Chopin through analyzing many many MIDI files and given certain parameters within to work. I do not think it knows what music is which would make creating a new style impossible or accidental. I agree about war and borrowing clothes though. No good!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode