Al DiMeola on legato - Page 3 - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 05:07 AM

Re: Al DiMeola on legato

I want Al to play all his pieces "lento e legato" so that I can finally hear the "music."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 09:44 PM

Reviews: 6

it's al's viewpoint and he's entitled to it (i remember the interview)...fact is...i use both...but i agree the pick hand does need to be developed as it will give you more options when it comes to rhythms as well as leads in terms of attack and dynamics...but both are equally useful techniques and neither should be ignored in favor of the other...d.m.
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 03:54 PM

Reviews: 1

Far be it from me to criticize Al as he is one of the greatest and one of my favorites but I think there is room for all kinds of techniques in guitar they are like tools in a box the more you have the easier the job is
post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
This video is from 1991?

What kind of sweeping and legato was used in those days?
Same as now.
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarMechanic View Post
Far be it from me to criticize Al as he is one of the greatest and one of my favorites but I think there is room for all kinds of techniques in guitar they are like tools in a box the more you have the easier the job is
great point
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 06:16 PM

i see satriani being brought up a lot in these legato vs picking discussions as if he does nothing but legato or '90% legato'. if you really look at his playing, he's picking a lot...he just doesn't subscribe to the 3 notes per string alternate picked runs that you hear so many shredders do. in fact, there are several vids of satch on youtube stressing the importance of picking. but for satch, picking is about what part of the pick you use against the string, where it hits the string in relation to the pick-ups, dynamics, etc. as opposed to how many bpm you can cram. i love a fast alternate-picked run too within the right context, but to insinuate one technique is inferior to the other is absolutely absurd.

Tags
acoustic guitar , alternate picking , brett garsed , bridge pickup , guitar playing , john petrucci , legato technique , picking technique , steve morse , sweep picking , vinnie moore

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

what is legato picking?
al dimeola gay?
how to mute when playing legato