Angelos Speed Kills, is it worth it? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2003, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Angelos Speed Kills, is it worth it?

Hiya. Ive got my summer holidays comming up in about 2 weeks and it will give me 6 weeks of time to play the guitar

My technique atm is crap. Im not fast, and i can only do some basic arps (basic 2/3/4/5/6 string stuff) and thats about it. Im really looking to improve my chops, mainly my accuracy and speed and im looking for the best/quickest way possible.

Ive heard some good things about Mike Angelos Speed Kills, but is it actually any good? What does the video offer? And have people noticed a big change in their playing after using the video

Cheers guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2003, 02:54 PM

Aside from his terrible humor and voices...it's alright, I found it quite boring.

If you want an excellent video, I highly recommend John Petrucci's Rock Discipline.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2003, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Hmm. Ive got Petrucci's on my computer. Its good, but i dunno, would of thought Angelos was more geared to the shredder and for teqniuqe building.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2003, 09:12 AM

My vote would go with JP
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2003, 10:39 AM

suggestions

i dont care for the JP video all that much and i really hate michael angelo.

if you want to build your chops, do the 10-hour workout by vai (do a forum search for it and you should find it somehow, its also in this section of the forum on pg 3 or 4 i forget). that should get your accuracy better, other than that, id suggest paul gilbert's terrifying rock guitar series, jason becker's series or even yngwie's videos if you can stomach an hour of yngwie.

another totally kick ass video is al dimeola's REH video, you want to build your chops, and have a ton of time, id go with that. Danny Gatton has a cool Hot Licks video too, i dunno if country would be ur thing, gatton was a god and everyone should bask in his wisdom (such a shame... )

hope this was helpful
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2003, 11:04 AM

Reviews: 1
No freakin' way! Mike has another video out?!?

Swirly: I just ordered the DVD about two seconds ago and will post up a full report when it comes in. Michael Angelo is totally my guitar hero, so I warn you that my review will probably be a little slanted.

It's true that Mike's got a wicked corny sense of humour ... but I think it brings some lightness and fun to the whole thing. After all ... guitar's supposed to be fun, right?

Michael has another video, the "Star Licks" video that came out in '87 or so. I think that's a great place to start to get some cool chops and ideas. I've worshipped that video since 1989 ... sad, I know.

Another great resource that's been cited a few times on this site is the Troy Stetina book/CD "Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar." I got that a few weeks ago and it's absolutely monstrous. It's not only a great place to start -- it will prove useful for years to come.

Good luck, and enjoy your summer!

--jr

Tags
danny gatton , jason becker , john petrucci , paul gilbert

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode