Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Another new instrumental: Buzz

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  pawel 
#1 ·
Spent Friday night and Saturday afternoon recording this little ditty. Affectionately titled "Buzz" due to the omnipresent hum emanating from the Korg AX1G I used as a direct recording device. Pondering whether to add delay to the guitar parts but they already sound a bit Satchier than I planned - it's funny, I'm not influenced by Satch but there are moments in many of my songs where it sounds like I am. You can squeeze some very PAF Pro-ish tones out of those old Ibanez V6 pickups.

http://users.bigpond.net.au/ptodgekin/buzzmix2.mp3

#3 ·
Thanks! Nope, no amps, not even a real direct recording device, just a run of the mill pre-modeling-era multi effects pedal. The trick is running each separate guitar track through a compressor, limiter and EQ in Fruityloops to bring out a bit of dimension. Without it they sound a bit flat. Also my pickups are very low at the moment, which tends to make the sound react in a simlar way to tubes.

The trickiest part of the whole thing was working out the bit between 0:39 and 0:43, which is inspired by Joe Satriani's pitch axis stuff (okay, I guess I did get THAT from Joe - what I was referring to before was our similar phrasing). Apart from the main melody and the bit in the middle when the tone totally changes, that little four second snippet was the only note-by-note composed part of the whole shebang. Now I know why they call it shredding - you should see my freaken' fingers *LOL*

And that's technically not a harmony - it's a VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERY long delay which doesn't kick in until two bars after the original note.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.