Another new instrumental: Buzz - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

Another new instrumental: Buzz

Spent Friday night and Saturday afternoon recording this little ditty. Affectionately titled "Buzz" due to the omnipresent hum emanating from the Korg AX1G I used as a direct recording device. Pondering whether to add delay to the guitar parts but they already sound a bit Satchier than I planned - it's funny, I'm not influenced by Satch but there are moments in many of my songs where it sounds like I am. You can squeeze some very PAF Pro-ish tones out of those old Ibanez V6 pickups.

http://users.bigpond.net.au/ptodgekin/buzzmix2.mp3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 06:56 AM

Wow. Direct recording sure has come a long way in terms of tone. I would swear that it's a miked tube amp.

It sounds pretty original to me. I liked all the harmony stuff and the leads, particularly the one starting at about 1:50.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! Nope, no amps, not even a real direct recording device, just a run of the mill pre-modeling-era multi effects pedal. The trick is running each separate guitar track through a compressor, limiter and EQ in Fruityloops to bring out a bit of dimension. Without it they sound a bit flat. Also my pickups are very low at the moment, which tends to make the sound react in a simlar way to tubes.

The trickiest part of the whole thing was working out the bit between 0:39 and 0:43, which is inspired by Joe Satriani's pitch axis stuff (okay, I guess I did get THAT from Joe - what I was referring to before was our similar phrasing). Apart from the main melody and the bit in the middle when the tone totally changes, that little four second snippet was the only note-by-note composed part of the whole shebang. Now I know why they call it shredding - you should see my freaken' fingers *LOL*

And that's technically not a harmony - it's a VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERY long delay which doesn't kick in until two bars after the original note.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 07:26 AM

Cool i like the lick at 1:08, catchy melodies man
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 02:38 PM

VERY catchy and very tasty.....I like the swing feel

A little delay would definitely help to flesh out the sound....but, man....it sounds great.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2003, 02:37 PM

Love the melody lines!

the lead is much more Vai stylee than satch. But, yeah the melody is really satchy. not a bad thing my friend!

Could do with some more of that nice "Hill Grove"-esque backing guitar at the start, throughout the song..

but anyway...

that rocked!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2003, 05:11 PM

Awesome playing man! Put a killer bass track behind it now
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2003, 06:18 PM

This was really cool, I also love the "swinging" feel, you have some serious talent...

Tags
joe satriani , multi effects pedal , paf pro , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode