Any fellow beginners (or intermediates) learning Metallica/Megadeth songs right now? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Any fellow beginners (or intermediates) learning Metallica/Megadeth songs right now?

I'm just curious if anyone else is going through the learning phase on various Metallica and/or Megadeth pieces right now?

My interest primarily lies with the "old school" albums from both bands. (Kill 'Em All thru Justice, and Killing is My Business thru Rust in Piece)

Right now I've been working primarily on Into the Lungs of Hell. (love that instrumental). I've got the rhythm part down pretty good. I don't think I'm ready to tackle the lead yet though. But one thing I'm struggling with on the rhythm part is the proper string and/or palm muting for the part that goes like:
|----------------------------
|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

It goes for about 18 bars while the lead solos over top. I can't make it sound anything like the track, but I know the general concept of having to mute the strings.

I'm also working on the rhythm part of Set the World Afire, and the intros to Call of Ktulu and Bad Omen right now.

How about you guys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 10:51 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: Any fellow beginners (or intermediates) learning Metallica/Megadeth songs right n

When playing that muted stuff I mute the strings with both the right and left hand. left hand is around the second fret slightly touching the strings, like when playing the intro to train of consequences.

Just finished my practice session playing kick the chair!!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 07:21 AM

Reviews: 21
Re: Any fellow beginners (or intermediates) learning Metallica/Megadeth songs right n

Heres a link to a kick arse website that the megadeth forum claim to have more accurate tabs than the offical tab books that have been released!!

Enjoy and rattle your god damn head!!! \,,/

http://www.abysslord.com/megadeth/tabs/tab.htm
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UV-7-BK View Post
Heres a link to a kick arse website that the megadeth forum claim to have more accurate tabs than the offical tab books that have been released!!

Enjoy and rattle your god damn head!!! \,,/

http://www.abysslord.com/megadeth/tabs/tab.htm
Wow, thanks. I had no idea that site existed.

I just took a peak at a few tabs, such as Into the Lungs of Hell, which I'm currently learning from the official tab book. Its drastically different.... what the hell?

Who verifies what's more (or less) accurate? Has Mustaine himself ever commented on this publicly?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 07:30 PM

Reviews: 2

If there's an official tab book for the song you want to learn, use that. Who do you think will get better results, a professional getting paid for his work or an anonymous guitarist doing it for free without help?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 11:59 PM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzane View Post
Wow, thanks. I had no idea that site existed.

I just took a peak at a few tabs, such as Into the Lungs of Hell, which I'm currently learning from the official tab book. Its drastically different.... what the hell?

Who verifies what's more (or less) accurate? Has Mustaine himself ever commented on this publicly?
Yeah i know its different from the tab books. The regular megadeth forum whores swear by abysslords transcriptions. There is much frustration from them why the tab books arent as accurate. Maybe pay close attention to the tunings used!!!

I really doubt Mustaine will agree publicly that the tab link is better than the official release books.....lets face it...Mustaine is a business man and would rather sell as many books as he can and keep a few trade secrets up his sleeves!!!

It cant be a bad thing in my eyes...even if one is better than the other!!!! Either way, i guess its a good thing to have two lots of transcriptions. Using your ear more to decifer whats accurate can only benefit the player!!!

I wonder why the Endgame tab book is taking so long to be released. Dream Theaters Black Clouds and Silver Linings tab book was released soon after the album hit the shelf in stores!!!

Enjoy bud !!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 12:21 AM

My two cents about learning this stuff:

The Megadeth with bust your chops a lot more than the Metallica. Maybe you've noticed...I think Mustaine is a bit more of a composer than Hetfield, though if I had to pick a favorite between the two I'd pick Metallica. They were my two favorite bands when I was learning all this stuff. Its the best curriculum for you right now if that's the stuff you like. It'll really refine your technique and confidence. Now I'm in the Jazz world but I wouldn't be anywhere without playing Seek and Destroy hundreds of times!

Once you get into the solos, once again, the Megadeth will bust your chops big time. Start with the Kirk Hammett stuff on the first two Metallica albums. Its a bit more straight ahead and Bluesy. Get all the hammer-ons and pull-offs clean. There's isn't too much fast picking in Hammett's stuff.

I must say that Marty Friedman's solos on the Rust In Peace album are some of the most incredible things I've ever heard. Consider Hangar 18 or Lucretia to be a goal for your lead playing.

Good luck!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 09:27 AM

On the topic of TAB books, don't always think that the official TAB books are better!

Some of Metallicas are terribly inaccurate (look at ...And Justic For All for example, particularly Blackened or the instrumental To Live is To Die,they have you playing fricking full on Major Barre chords if i recall instead of tight power chords which sounds fricking messy distorted and clearly what wasn't played in the first place). I seem to recall Rust In Peace being pretty smelly in places too.

Some of the TAB fingering can be woeful too, and when you look at videos its clearly not what Dave/Marty/James/Kirk use. The music notation is right (from a note perspective) but the TAB fingerings can be awful.

Metallica's Master of Puppets and Ride the Lightning books seem to be pretty spot on though. Great books, did my youth well playing from those.

Tags
megadeth , metallica

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode